Register now to get rid of these ads!

That HURST Shifter Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodChassis, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Sh2

Sh2

Do you still have the Muncie 319 mounting kit or at least a picture?

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love old Hurst stuff. How about a proto type magnesium T handle. All HAMB friendly Hurst shifters have the BIG letters...in my opinion 50823FB5-1948-4BFB-90E8-066534F44B51.jpeg

1Nimrod, Deuces, Just Gary and 4 others like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Dammit Bowie!
    I'm at the Oregon Coast for some piece and quiet and I can hear you yell HURST clear from Cen-Penn for cripesake!
    You know what, of all the speed parts and hot rod stuff I've bought over the last fifty years nothing still excites me like the sight of an old Hurst shifter (preferably installed) but not a deal breaker.
    I remember the first time I saw a box of misc. shifters at a swap meet, just out of high school, you would have thought it was a box full of free Playboy magazines.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have sort of refused to learn how to post images; I already spend enough time online, and if I could post pics, I'd never get anything done. Plenty of stuff on that auction site we all know and love; shifters parts to complete shifters.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

1Nimrod likes this.
  5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DDDenny: we definitely think the same way on that! B201DD89-1BEC-43AC-A7B8-D70DCB50DCB7.jpeg

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Note:
    I've posted this many times, so to those that bore easily..............................deal with it!
    Butch, I'm not doing anything (see my earlier post) so I'll post one for you, sorry it's not a 56.
    I bought my first (new) Hurst shifter about 1971, replaced the Fenton shifted 3 speed that came in my 57 BelAir with this "C" shifter/T-10, so this advertisement really strikes a chord with me.

f7ab49b41a9f8e1e0a4e6471e438cd9a (1).jpg

7. Hmm, this thread seems geared towards some shifty characters.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Always been a stick shift guy... Build picture 12.JPG

9. My 'ol heap. The shifter's business end was attached to a Muncie M-22. :cool:
    100_1958.JPG

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^Sh2 had asked about a Muncie 319 shifter mounting kit.^^^^ He has only ONE post here on the HAMB. I have not had very good luck with "non-HAMBERS". Maybe after he has some posts under his belt. I sold to other newbies, and that's the only reason they were here, to get what they wanted, not to "belong". Another issue I have is guys who want someone else to do their work for them; even asking questions here they could just as easy look up themselves. Trust me, look it up yourself, you'll remember it better, and actually be part of the solution. OK, time to jump down off this soap box. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Sh2

Sh2

Butch, I apologize if I have offended you or even the HAMB community. I have long been around, learning and finding answers. In fact, I am a teacher. It may not mean much anymore to teach these days but it is my job and I love it.

My project is to get this '68 c10 stepside with a 292 and Muncie 319 on the road this spring controlled by Hurst.

I am trustworthy, a father and much of my time is devoted to my children, which are both under age three. If I should post more to get more posts under my belt I will. Just remember that by trade I teach, so many of those posts will be questions.

Keep one thing in mind, no other hands have touched the truck, engine or parts. A friend from work touched the transmission but mine hands were dirtier than his in the end. Fyi, I'll hook up and tune his mega squirt for his LS 3 and 4L80.

No soapbox, just a public servant trying to source hard to find parts.

Again, I apologize for bothering... Look it up myself?

Remember it better?

Be part of the solution?

If only you knew.

Assumptions can many times be wrong, Butch. I appreciate the welcome to the community.

Attached Files:

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm only going to respond to this thread one more time, to try and smooth things out a little; I don't care to get into a competitive, urinary distance display, exhibition contest with anyone. "Another issue I have is guys who want someone else to do their work for them", was NOT aimed at you; it was a generalized statement of what goes on here a LOT. Why go to any site with a question you could just look up yourself? Some of the questions are a little ridiculous; "what cigarette lighter should I buy?" type of questions. I don't know; maybe it's a way to make them feel they belong to something, or maybe they are just a little bit too lazy? As far as your home-made bracket goes, it's pretty accurate to one of the two brackets for the Muncie 319 overdrive transmissions that Hurst made shifters for. I do have that bracket, but I'm hanging onto it; I too have 1 Muncie 319 left, down from 3 I had, so I need it. IF your transmission has a tailshaft, cross member mount, I have several brackets to fit that design, but that design had the shifter tower further back, requiring longer rods, and those I don't have. It may not fit a truck with a bench seat however. I'd probably give you one of those mounts for shipping costs, as I have 3 or 4 of them. Also, be advised, your 69 truck is out of the guidelines of the HAMB, that has a cutoff of 1965. THAT, I have nothing to do with. You can be upset with me, I can deal with that. I get a fair amount of "do you have this", "will you sell me this", etc, type of questions, usually from non-members/possibly lurkers/etc; guys who want/expect something, and then are gone, never to be heard from again. I just sold a Hurst Auto Stick 1 shifter to someone I had never heard of, had a low post count, but he was, "sincere, and hopeful", I could help him out when he contacted me. I gave him a really good deal on the shifter!!! So, let's just both be big boys here; Big Boys Don't Cry. I know, the song is actually, Big Girls Don't Cry. Let's just leave it at that! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

stillrunners and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Sh2

Sh2

With sufficient information, I would be glad to provide the shipping.

As I understand you, there could be an issue with fitment. I hope that it is not. Otherwise, I may have to use my saginaw 3-speed. I hope to mock it up next week.

I hope the attached helps with fitment, too.

As I digress, I do appreciate your help and prompt assistance. I am not upset with you. I am appreciative.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My ‘57 h top , was set up for a 4spd before Hurst came out with the C shifter. As you can see , she has the old cut bench modification. I custom bent an old Comp Plus for optimum placement : A43816FA-D127-4F55-A70B-B7053AE1526D.jpeg

15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plus the prerequisite dash sticker : 0F546FE2-4724-479D-98AD-F77D3E036A68.jpeg

16. Sh2

Sh2

I like it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, Bowie.

Thank you for the pictures.

1Nimrod, chryslerfan55 and bowie like this.
  17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

OK, since the "tone" has changed a little here, I will offer some advice/opinions. Since you apparently have two different transmissions, a Muncie 319 and a Saginaw, I'd go with the Saginaw. It's a full synchro trans, the Muncie is't (first gear has no synchro). It'll be easier to find Hurst parts for the Saginaw also. The 3 speed early Muncies tend to be noisy, especially first gear. The Saginaw is considerably stronger. Your shifter tower assembly is a Hurst Mastershift; the updated version of the old Synchro-Locs that had two different shift patterns, depending on which you selected based on removing an internal pin from the shifter workings. It will bolt to any Hurst shifter mount; but, do you have the rest of the "kit"? The linkage rods, levers, fasteners you'll need for assembly on either transmission? The ONLY benefit the Munckie 319 has, is the overdrive, and since 292's are notorious for lousy gas mileage, the overdrive might help with that. The overdrive unit requires some special wiring, and a cable to actuate the overdrive. The last issue is, both transmissions take a different slip yoke. And, truck bellhousings use a different bolt attachment for the transmissions; the two top bolts go from the transmission into the bellhousing, the two bottom bolts go from the bellbousing into the ears of the transmission (truck trans); bolts, nuts, washers can be substituted. Passenger car transmissions don't have threaded lower bolt holes, and all 4 bolts go from the transmission into the bellhousing. There is also a possibility the center hole/register of the bellhousing, being for a truck, may be a larger register and require a different throwout bearing collar, or an adapter ring from Lakewood or McLeod. Nothing is ever as easy as it seems. The last thing KI say, is post a photo of both transmissions, just to make sure of what you have. There's a lot of misinformation regarding these transmissions, and they often get referred to by the wrong name. For some reason, many guys call the early Muncie's, Saginaws. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. Sh2

Sh2

You just don't know how much I appreciate this information. The friend that I teach with, who is old enough to be my father, like you suggested the OD transmission. In that same breath he said, keep the saginaw.

The saginaw has been taken off. I'm going to buy a new clutch and pressure plate. I'll get the flywheel resurfaced.

DCF3FE40-CB9A-487E-98A8-4766CE55D13F.jpeg 4D727323-19CE-478B-9005-F618E590D968.jpeg 1E032514-323C-4547-9C37-2BD8B418FF25.jpeg 419B9457-FF41-49C9-B08A-907FF7519F5E.jpeg 64C2A1B1-993E-42B4-AC6E-E231CF61D6D7.jpeg BC74E1DD-3AAD-4AF9-9436-B8F57F59F4B2.jpeg

1Nimrod, mgtstumpy and Just Gary like this.
  19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Your Muncie 319 does have an extension housing cross-member mount, but it looks to be broken/missing part of the rubber mounting. I'm also going to guess that the lower transmission bolts to bell-housing mounting has bolts/washers/nuts, as it is a truck bell-housing, and it's one of those "funny" bell-housings that could take a 5 bolt transmission mounting (there was just a thread on that here). There's really nothing wrong with the shifter that's on the Saginaw, other than the transmission shift levers are on upside down. The engine is a 292 as evidenced by the "tall" side covers. Good thing about the linkage on the transmission, your Hurst Mastershift will bolt to the adapter bracket, and you can use your rods and levers, although they won't be as close "toleranced" as Hurst pieces would be. I'd sell the Muncie 319, and use the Saginaw if it were me. If you compare the Saginaw shifter with the Hurst, you'll see they are very similar, because the same company that actually made Hurst shifters for Hurst, also made the factory shifters. If you want the mounts for the Muncie 319, I'd need a name/address and shipping for them. Trust me, I'm actually an honest person. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    1Nimrod, chryslerfan55, egads and 2 others like this.
  20. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'll post a few pics to participate but my real reason to post is to see if anyone can tell me what this came out of.

IMG_20200410_142437.jpg

IMG_20200410_142359.jpg
    Just put a Super Shifter in my car. It's not in the pic but I have an early reverse lock out to put on it. My friend found me some straight reinforced rods to use at a yard sale for like $10 also. (Actually two sets so I have spares.)

IMG_20200410_133833.jpg
    Not sure if I will like the short shifter outside of the track so I found this at a yard sale for $8.

IMG_20200410_142807.jpg
    IMG_20200410_143818.jpg

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You can pull the push-in style stick out, drill two holes, and "collapse" the receptacle sides in a little, slip in the bolt-in style stick you bought, use a couple of grade 8 bolts for tightening strength, and you'll be fine. I used a MOPAR application, pistol grip Hurst, and converted it to a bolt-in stick. It's bolted to my spare Borg Warner Super T-10, that's bolted to my spare 327 for my Sedan Delivery. $8 and 10 for new Hurst parts is a steal! I've no idea what your shifter came in originally, but the "tower" assemblies are all basically the same; some have a longer or curved reverse lever, but even those work with a little bending of the reverse rod.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

1Nimrod and wvenfield like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

Looks like a Hurst "Mystery Shifter" I had one way back because they were cheaper. They do not have stops for the stick and when powershifting just a few times from 1st to 2nd the syncros were shot because of no stops they got pushed onto the forcing cones too far.

1Nimrod, uncleandy 65 and wvenfield like this.
  23. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

24. HOLLYWOOD41

HOLLYWOOD41

Just FUN!

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and wvenfield like this.
  25. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Here is the Competition Plus and reverse loc/out installed on a BW T-10 in my Cyclone.
    E9A0C392-4CE5-44F8-A6BE-C7AB780BE315.jpeg

26. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

27. A shitty cell phone pic of a Hurst Autostick 1 with home made reverse lockout in Dads 37 Dodge. lockout finished.JPG Here is the lockout mocked up on an extra Autostick. KIMG0058.JPG KIMG0059.JPG

1Nimrod, chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  28. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

855BCC8C-5E2C-47F5-9744-4297B2FA4CDE.jpeg Today I decided I need more leg room in my 32' project. Cut the shifter bar most of the way thru, laid it over and welded it in place. Can't wait to try it out. Maybe I will do it again up higher to straighten it up.

1Nimrod, Muttley and loudbang like this.
  29. Muttley

Muttley

Anyone have an opinion on the nylon vs. steel bushings? My Comet has had the nylon ones in it since the shifter was installed 12 years ago. I was thinking if they need to be replaced to switch over to the steel ones. I've heard that the steel bushings tend to transfer more vibration through the stick. Is the difference in the amount of vibration really that significant? Is their really an improvement in shifting with the steel bushings?

30. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I have always replaced the nylon bushings with steel even in new installations. The vibration transfer is negligible, the positive feel that is gained is worth the trade off. Plus it will have a cool “click” sound when you shift between gears!
    Here is my Vintage Competition Plus with reverse loc/out in my Comet.
    Jim
    078988CE-0312-46A4-B997-1C07ED155ED9.jpeg

Elcohaulic, GordonC, egads and 2 others like this.