Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical License plate frame ideas for odd sized plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BamaMav, Apr 11, 2020.

1. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I'm planning on running a original 1947 Alabama license plate on the rear of my car. Problem is, the old plates were an odd size as you can see from the pic, a little narrower and taller than a standard plate is today. I've seen those old adjustable frames that are supposed to fit all sizes, but they are hard to find and usually expensive when you do, and they look a little cheezy to me. I want a flat frame, about 1/2" wide at least on the top edge, I have a small chrome LED that will fit on top for the tag light. I have some aluminum sheet I guess I could cut and then polish out, but looking for other ideas as well. DSCF1354.JPG

2. What is the size of the 1941 Alabama licence plate? there are some odd sizes out there.

I have never found one for the 1932 South Carolina license plate.

[​IMG]

A fellow Hamber gave me one of the 8 piece tubing license plate surrounds that I used on the '54 license plate on Brenda's wagon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2023
  3. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Kanter Has Adjustable Frames That Are Well Made... logo.png

Joe Blow, Jalopy Joker and catdad49 like this.
  4. Check out people selling license plates at the next swap meet, they frequently have frames. Due to the Corona Virus, the next swap meet will probably be in 2021 (sorry).

Charlie Stephens

5. Jalopy Joker and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

They didn't standardize license plate size until I believe 1956. In Minnesota for 1949 I found they started out small and got bigger as they added more numbers to the plates later in the year.

catdad49 likes this.
  7. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Why not make your own, it's not that difficult, here's what I did for a small 1932 Arizona copper plate.

Make a form the exact size of the license plate, I used 1/4" steel plate, drill holes where the plate will attaches.
    Make a second plate slightly smaller than the bottom plate, drill the same hole pattern then sandwich a piece of 20 gauge between the two plates.
    Hammer form the edges around the base plate, the top plate will keep things from moving, a dead blow hammer will work well to form the edge.
    Remove the part from the base plate and trim edge and center as desired. Now it is ready from paint, powder coating or chrome.

IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2942.JPG IMG_2947.JPG IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2932.JPG

Cheeta, fiftyv8, Paul and 18 others like this.
  8. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

2nd on Kanter. Used theirs until I found an original, very well made.

00021.jpg

LOU WELLS likes this.
  9. D088A6DF-6079-4205-A866-178691261788.jpeg
    Some times they just turn up.
    Swap meets, friends with junk, marketplace.....

10. I never have found one to fit mine[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

11. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

This has been covered several times.
    I've posted my solution multiple times. I used a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum about 1/4" bigger than the plate I them milled out in the center to accommodate the plate and then used a carbide router bit to ease the edge then sand and polish.

12. BJR

BJR

That's cuz your not on the level, or plumb. Just a little skewed:p

seb fontana and alanp561 like this.
  13. Harley Jim, if you don't need advertising, here's one. Guy in Newport makes them. He was at Shades last year.
    There was a nice dealer advertising one at Nashville swap meet this year for $300!
    [​IMG]

seb fontana and LOST ANGEL like this.
  14. BJR
    You know me a little too well
    hotrodA
    Thank you, I recently sold the shoebox in search of something with a big block.
    I just thought I was done going fast.
    That's funny I'm less than an hour from Newport

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

BJR likes this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That looks sorta like what I had in mind, without the writing.

I like the way yours turned out Donut Dave, doubt I could make one that nice. I may try though, anyway.

I had thought about using some chromed tubing, like house plumbing lines, splitting them then using a tubing bender to make the frame. Then I could flatten it a bit to get the width I want. Not sure how to go about splitting them, cut off wheel maybe?

All good ideas, keep'em coming....

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cut, welded, polished and built the backing late for my YOM Washington tag. If you want something bad enough, you make it fit.
    upload_2020-4-11_21-21-57.png

17. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

Nothing outstanding, I polished the outside edge of the plate, IMG_8871.jpg

18. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Now that's what I had envisioned in my mind as to what I want. I've got one of those cheapo chromed plastic ones shaped like that on my standard sized vintage vehicle tag, I was also thinking of trying to duplicate it to the odd size then trying my luck at polishing it out. Thanks for the pic Billy, you may have just made up my mind for me....

Bandit Billy likes this.
  19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Expanding license frames have been around since the 1930s and the perfect solution to odd size plates . It’s crazy how big they get or how small. I have seen them made all the way into the 1950 as a accessories in the GM Chevrolet line.. This Page is out of the 1933 1934 restoration manual and coast to coast made these but have other makers as well image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

20. Ohhh, that explains what those things are. I recently got some from an estate.

Attached Files:

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got lucky on my truck, the 41 WA tags fit this frame pretty well. I did have to drill some new holes in the restored YOM plate to bolt it up.
    upload_2020-4-12_18-40-23.png
    The plate frame is a SoCal knock off "Hollywood" frame. I grew up in the Hollywood Dist. in Portland on 54th and Broadway so I liked the unintended reference.

continentaljohn likes this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The plate frame on my 442 says
    "this is not your father's Oldsmobile" which my son and daughter object to. :cool:

While the plate frame on my daily lowrider Silverado says "House of Hardtops" , a tip of the hat to my friend Mike Thelin that sold the truck originally to the PO.

Plate frames tell a story, a detail that should not be overlooked or taken lightly.

23. clem

clem

Any chance of a close up photo then ? Please.......

24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

D0A79E86-1E87-4D05-8573-D0A35E04ACE9.jpeg

continentaljohn and clem like this.
  25. clem

clem

Thanks. Now that is nice, and not over the top. Looks good.

26. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Not a frame but I cut a piece of stainless to back up my plate, you could cut one with 1/4 over hang on all4 sides for a frame “look” without bending and fab work.

27. 5window

5window

License plate bracket-aluminum.JPG License plate topper 2 front.JPG I made this one out of aluminum plate. Cut out with a jigsaw as that was all I had at the time.

28. beater32

beater32

I made one as limited options for an NZ plate. I probably got carried away... IMG_20200416_093342.jpeg IMG_20200416_093353.jpeg

Sent from my VF-895N using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am going to run a year of manufacture plate on mine which is a little longer than the current NC plates. This is a surround that Speedway sells. It fit pretty good although I did have to trim the very outer corners a tad but I think it works pretty well.
    20200409_195152.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    continentaljohn and fiftyv8 like this.
  30. Cheeta

Cheeta

4 24 6.JPG Not really an odd shaped plate, but an odd shaped licence surround. Its a 49 chev surround that I narrowed and shaped for a 46 ford bumper on my 40. 4 24 4.JPG

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020