Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can I cut this off?? (Oil feed stud)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neilswheels, Apr 9, 2020.

1. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

My valve cover has been leaking for a while, so with my current ‘down time’ I thought I’d change the gasket, but, a po has done this lovely modification. Can I just cut down the hollow stud to get it under the valve cover, I do I need more? It was fed from the oil pressure switch outlet in the block. Shame as a perfectly nice sw wings domed gauge has been ruined as well.

Attached Files:

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Need to find out why oil isn't getting up top first. As crude as it is, mod was done for a reason and kept it alive.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    chopped likes this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

What Johnny Gee said!

Bones

4. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

It’s feeding a hollow stud that holds the rocker tower on, so I assume the stud is screwed into the head casting, so what’s below that?

5. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Is it just feeding the oil pressure gauge?

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

For me I'd need to more about what that engine is. I'm stuck in Chevy world sorry.

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shame as a perfectly nice sw wings domed gauge has been ruined as well.[/QUOTE]

How is the gauge issue related to the stud? Just wondering.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Look closer at 3rd photo and you'll see feed line going to stud for tee below.
    [​IMG]

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could sure make it look better even if you needed it to oil the rockers.
    I'd remove all that acumpukie off the valve cover, use a grommet, and remake the copper line.
    If you want find out why, remove the rocker arm assembly and distributor and turn the oil pump with a drill motor and find out why the oil is not coming up thru the head. I don't know about that Ford 6 but it should be coming into a rocker stand to feed the shaft. If it does, check that stand to make sure the passage is open. I'd clean out the rocker shaft and all the holes why I was there. Good luck.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ OK so Ford. To add about rocker stands. There is one that is dedicated for oiling (it will have an oiling hole that matches hole in head for oil to flow thru). Sometimes they get mixed up and don't get put back where it should go. Another possible reason. Wrong head gasket? No hole for oil to pass thru.

neilswheels likes this.
  11. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The engine looks pretty clean inside, as if either an overhaul or at least a valve job has been performed. I would want to find a diagram of the oil flow path in the engine and see if I could determine why the oil isn't flowing/sufficient without the additional flow. It must have satisfactory pressure and flow to the rods, mains,cam, and lifters if they aren't giving a problem. Maybe the wrong pushrods or clogged passages if the pushrods oil that way. I'd spend a little time trying to find the real problem.

neilswheels likes this.
  12. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the late sixties I had a friend with a Falcon with I think the 144 cubic inch engine that had a noisy valve train. I had read in a magazine that those motors when "sludged up" needed a head bolt removed and clearanced. I did a little "search" and found this right on the HAMB. I pulled the head bolt, ground some clearance on it and solved his problem. I moved 1000 miles away and we are still friends;)

go to this link and post 17 to fix your issue.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1960-falcon-six-newbie-question.817864/

neilswheels likes this.
  13. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Ah, so much for a ‘quick fix’. It has been rebuilt at some point, the block has a brass plate with a number stamped in it. I’ll see what I can find out about that oil feed rocker stand.

14. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Thanks for that, I can’t find that link tho.
    Found it, but that appears to be 144, mines a 170, or is that the same? Also not sure this stud is living rockers, I need to have a proper look. Thanks

15. squirrel

squirrel

You can't recognize a 144-170-200 Ford six? The Falcon engine...

Congrats on living such a sheltered life :)

kadillackid and Johnny Gee like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

from the link:

"The 60 144 had problems with oil getting to the rockers. The oil comes up around the left rear head bolt. A service bulletin said to grind a flat side on the bolt in 61 ford fixed the problem."

kadillackid likes this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's what happen's when seller backs out of deal to sell me my very first car, a Ford. Never looked back. :D

kadillackid, ekimneirbo and squirrel like this.
  18. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Little update, just in case you were wondering. In light of the general opinion that it is doing something, I kept it and tidied it up. As per Jimmysix suggestion, I made the hole in the rocker cover slightly bigger and centralised, made the hex spacer cylindrical at the bottom so it would seal in the grommet, and used a grommet from a VW headlight bucket. Removed the 10 or so fittings in the crankcase, and replaced with 4 of the originals. I will be running a mech pressure gauge, but for know the hole in the fitting is blanked off. Took it for a lil test blast today, and it doesn’t leak, so mission accomplished. Thanks for all your input

Attached Files:

jimmy six and Johnny Gee like this.