Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Smell of old cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsfrench, Apr 8, 2020.

1. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

In my house the garage is near the kitchen
    This afternoon the wife opened the garage door
    I was in the kitchen ,had a drink after hard home painting
    The 1956 olds stay in the garage
    When the wife opened the garage door felt the smell of old car
    That’s reminds me the good smeel of old cars
    Are your cars smelling good ?

2. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

My sister has a dog without a nose.....How does it smell??...Terrible:):):)

3. PIECRUST&RUST

PIECRUST&RUST
    from kansas

I just moved into a new house, it actually gave me great pleasure once my garage started to smell like car. I felt like it was officially mine then. Im just glad its a detached garage. Not everyone enjoys the same stinks.
    Hot oil and grease smell is the best haha. Gasoline just makes me sick though. ever since replacing a fuel pump and having it all run to my armpit (per my fathers warning)

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  4. On a good day mine smells like Febreze, if there is a bottle handy.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020

5. I love the smell of old cars unless they've been inhabited by 5 generations of mice.:eek:

alanp561, Ford52PU, Andy K and 6 others like this.
  6. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

I wery mush like de smeel of ole cars. Dey smeel like Wictory. (Wladimir Pootin)

egads and Tri-power37 like this.
  7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I like the 47 turns lock to lock in the steering........

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nothing finer except for...
    [​IMG]

Country Joe and 62rebel like this.
  9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on who's been in it..........

10. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

My friend who is not a old car guy bought a house and on the day he moved in I went into his empty garage and I could smell a old car . I said “was there a old car in here “
    He said “ yeah there was some kind of old Buick in here.

So yeah old cars definitely have a distinct smell.

11. All my old cars but one have been redone so they don't have that "smeel". But last year I bought an old 48 Ford coupe that had been in storage for many years. It has the old car smell, and yes, I am fond of that smell, it takes me back in time...

12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

On a hot summer day if I have the windows closed on my 1946 Ford Woodie, when you get in it you get a combination smell of the wood, varnish, leather seat's and rubber floor mats. I love it!

nunattax, Rickybop and Texas Webb like this.
  13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of those "smells" are mold...which I'm allergic to. I try to de-smell my cars as much as possible.

wraymen likes this.
  14. town sedan

town sedan

Always liked the smell of old salvage yards where the gear lube has been soaking into the ground for decades. Nothing enjoyable about the smell that comes from disturbing the carcass of a rodent while cleaning out an old car. Now, a non rodent infested old car does have a unique smell, but I'm afraid it's mostly what rockable described, that or dry rot.
    -Dave

Tri-power37 likes this.
  15. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Jeez....Try to run a thread off the rails and you have to get all serious on us....:)

16. papajohn

papajohn

My garage smells like stale cigars.

lucky ink likes this.
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I learned that our olfactory system... our smeller... has a very short and direct route to the brain. Consequently, it's quite powerful and greatly affects our psyche. It can trigger a memory like almost nothing else. Who of us hasn't waxed nostalgic at even the thought of model glue and paint?... even if we haven't done that forever.

My wife, Sandy, told me that she enjoyed the smell of the oil and grease in my shop. I think, partly because her father worked in the oil industry, and it reminded her of him.

I like the smell of an old car.
    But I've been to car shows, looking close at a car, and realizing that some of these cars have wonderful smells of leather, the cleaning products, the wax, etc.
    I clearly remember being at a car show and compelled to stick my head in the window of a Deuce coupe because it smelled soooooo good. I mean... I almost could have eaten it. And that was decades ago. That's how strongly smells affect us.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nicholas Coe, belair, Cosmo50 and 2 others like this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife always liked the smell of gasoline when it’s being pumped an doesn’t like the tank seal gas pump hose seals of today.
    Our 56 Victoria definitely has its own aroma. It doesn’t have a PCV system and like a fine bottle of vintage wine needs to breath.:rolleyes: After I added a 1/2” hose from the valley pan oil fill to the air cleaner the garage didn’t hold the aroma for as long. :D

19. Sometimes the smell is aged PVC interior material, sometimes it is something else. For those OTHER smells you want gone, get a $99 Amazon "ozone generator" . Forget febreze. The ozone generators work. I had the thankless job of getting my BILs Camry ready for sale, long story short: after removing the mouse mega condo, still smelled awful, 1 hr running the O.G. With the Windows up..... SMELL was gone.

20. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

My bride Patti likes the scent of fresh cut wood. Take her to the lumber yard and she is in smell heaven. Which might explain how she hoodwinked me into the Woodie project for her.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:)

22. The febreze was an attempt at humor, couldn’t help it. Devilishly lured in by smeel. As far as an ozone generator, maybe we all ought to buy one and ship them to the poles.:)

lothiandon1940 and town sedan like this.
  23. I don't want to smell your car. :confused:
    I don't know where it's been. :eek:

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Daddy's gonna park his car in Mommy's garage.:p

Nicholas Coe and jimmy six like this.
  25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Did ya ever notice that different brands have a different, unique smell? Especially if the original upholstery is in good condition. Open the door on a VW Bug in the summer and you’ll always remember how it smells. Same thing with Fords and Chevys, both have a unique smell you can tell which it is with your eyes closed.

Another thing is the sounds of the doors and trunk lids being shut. Fords have a solid “ clunk”, Chevys have a clunk but it’s different. I can tell a 60’s Chevy trunk lid because it sounds tinny compared to the clunk of a Ford.

The smells are different on a repainted or reupholstered car, the new stuff just doesn’t have that unique smell the factory stuff had, new stuff just smells new, which is not a bad thing, just different....

49ratfink likes this.
  26. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1987, I was able to buy a very original '51 Ford club coupe. As soon as I opened the door, I got a whiff of the original "mohair smell" that took me back 50 years to when my dad brought a new car home. Even now, almost 40 years later, people get into the car and the first thing the remark about is the smell that takes them back to their youth. They say the sense of smell is the strongest sense a human possesses; I believe it.

27. scrubby2009

scrubby2009

Funny about smell triggers. My pops was an angry bedeviled Vietnam vet. But working on old cars, solving problems mechanically, he was a happy little boy. All grins and hoots and hollers over small engineering victories. My happiest memories of him and my childhood all involve cars and trucks. I'm a middle-aged grandpa myself now, and nothing gets me closer to being happy and feeling free than reviving an old car, crawling through a wrecking yard, showing my son how to work on his '64 Chevy. Decades old horsehair seats, sunbaked vinyl, fifty years of blowby and dirtroads caked on a crossmember... Thanks, OP.

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my car has all the old smell removed, but my cabinet full of old junk sure smells like good old junk.

Rickybop likes this.
  29. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Mopars from the '50s have their own distinct interior smell. My OT Polara smells like the stuff I used to treat the floors before I put the carpet down. lol

30. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France