Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Do we expect too much or overthink things? Warning almost a rant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Apr 3, 2020.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

A little hopefully related story. Friend of mine had a front engine dragster that he was campaigning pretty regularly in the bracket wars at a local dragstrip. He said , "I just can't get it to be consistent". He had removed the Magneto ignition and installed an MSD distributor, 7Al box, crank trigger, delay box, all the necessary assorted wiring and shift solenoid, blah blah. He asked if I could help. I said, maybe? I went to his shop and looked inside the car and said Ahhhhhh, I think I see your problem. I proceeded to remove the MSD, delay box, crank trigger, shift solenoid &Al box and about 3700 ft of wiring. He said WTF are you doing?. He was a very good friend and that's all he said. I told him I'm turning it into a dragster again. Go get that magneto and kill switch. lol. We installed the mag, mounted the toggle switch back to the steering wheel and ran the ground wires from each head to the switch and ground. He still had a trans-brake. He asked what he was going to do with all that stuff? I said, simple sell it to another racer! I still have the Shift solenoid and junk in the bottom of my tool box. I went with him the next weekend and it went 3 hundreth's quicker and he had so much fun learning to read the tree and trust his foot instead of pulling out his hair trying to decide what chip to put in the delay box. LOL.

2. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

For me, Overthinking leads to not doing. I know that has happened on a few of my projects and has turned into project drift and stall. Since there are so many ways of doing things, or approaching different aspects of a project, I end up rabbit holing. Then nothing gets done...

Gasser 57 likes this.
  3. Seriously all this comes down to the way an old car smells.....not no nasty-ass smell like when there's something dead and been that way for a while in there, not none of the bad stuff we've all encountered in iron in a yard or a back lot....The plain and simple smell of an old car the way it was ...or is , when it's right. Bottom line, if you're reading this right now that smell is buried some where in your head.....take a second......Ahh......there you go.

raven likes this.
  4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I worked on a customers 66 Olds and it smelled just like my grandfathers 66 Olds and when I sat behind the wheel it felt like I was in his car.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great movie

raven likes this.
  6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Of course there's a difference between driving as well as (or better than) a modern car and driving like a modern car.