Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Has anyone made their own steering column?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raven, Apr 5, 2020.

1. nobby

nobby

2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The Jeep shaft is a 3/4 36 spline on the bottom and not sure about the Chevy collar grooves as I am a ford and Jeep guy so just a picture of the top of the shaft.
    Also this shaft was used from 1971 to 1975 CJs 5 and 6s. 1976 went to similar column but started with the tilt column as well. The bottom spline count will be the same 3/4. 36 as the steering box is a Saginaw 525 for Manuel and power box is a Saginaw 76 with a larger spline count.
    The bmx bearing are interesting and great idea image.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  3. the way it is used on the Willys jeep is the brass piece, which has an insulated inner sleeve, is slid down the outside of the inner shaft at a location just behind the dash panel. a hole is drilled in the hollow inner shaft big enough for a wire to slide through. all the edges of the hole need to be smoothed out. a wire is then slid up the shaft to the horn button center.the wire is then cut and soldered to the brass outer ring. the "follower" piece is mounted to the outer shaft so the "follower" can ride on the shaft as it is spinning, when turning. all the parts are available from any Willys jeep supplier.

loudbang and continentaljohn like this.
  4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Thanks! I see it now. Going to give this a try. Much cleaner than that stupid column button.

loudbang likes this.
  5. raven

raven

Ok, after digging around the shelves in the shop, I have a Corvair shaft. The problem is that they are 5/8” diameter instead of the ‘common’ 3/4”.
    This starts to pose a problem with joints. The only joint I’ve found so far is a 5/8” splined to 3/4” DD. That would mean I have to spline the end of the shaft or weld the joint to it. Unless someone knows of a 5/8” DD to 3/4” DD joint.
    Also, where would I find the nylon bushing that is talked about?
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The 3/4" shaft's are not hard to find used. Most I've gotten are from junk boxes. As for nylon. Do you want just the material to machine? There are these (much like posted earlier) available (Summit, CPP) but cost to much vs making.
    [​IMG]

loudbang and raven like this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

Harley takeoff (or junk) muffler ends (2) are a good source to use for the bell at the top of the column.
    1.875 OD
    4.0” bell OD (just about perfect with a 40 Ford steering wheel).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  8. You can also use a piece of 1 1/2" o.d. dom tube and a weld on, 1/2 round, fence post cap. Bore a 1 1/2" hole in the cap and weld to the tube. Use delrin bushings with 3/4" holes and it looks just like an original and fits a Bell style wheel perfectly.

loudbang likes this.
  9. getow

getow

i know this an old thread, but thought id chime in. I actually aquired two 10 foot 2 inch o.d. stainless pipes years ago from a guy i delt with years ago. I thought that id actually use em for tailpipes or something similar. Well long story short. I cut a piece off 1 to lenth i thought was good and had a straight column out of an s10 for guts. I cut off the bottom of the housing from s10, welded it to the stainless for the purpose of the plastic bushing with the goofy retainer. The guts were able to be shortened because of the slip joint, then welded solid and access cut down to length longer than shaft. The top ended up using the bearing, spring, and some makeshift spacers to get the right tightness pulling up on the inner shaft and lenght to put a universal type cup to accommodate the wheel. Which because of the doner was GM splined. I so happen to have a 54 Chevy wheel that fit on and looks at home there. And can be clocked if needed. I wasnt sure this was even going to work, but thought id give it a shot. Happy i did. And it actually seems decent and works great. The bottom was able to be attached to the box via a double joint that was a double D to the column and correct spline to the box. Ill try to post some pics if any intrest is shown.

10. getow

getow