Register now to get rid of these ads!

weld-on brackets to bones for spring behind axle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kantgetnun, Apr 7, 2006.

1. kantgetnun

kantgetnun

I was wondering if any one sells brackets to weld on the bones to locate the spring behind the axle? I dont want to drill through and bolt it that way.
    thanks

2. Ya just make 'em out of plate.

3. Flatman

Flatman

I posted on this subject the other day. The stock wishbones aren't very thick in sidewall (about 1/8") and the wishbone wasn't designed to bear a load from the top. It was a control arm for the front axle and maintained caster. I've seen it done on a few "ratrods" but can't imagine putting alot of miles on them without the arms bending. Welding would be better than drilling through, just make it wide to try to spread the downforce out. That's what Flatheadpete did on his if my memory serves me correctly. PM him and ask how his set up is working out.

Flatman

4. I agree. I've seen some nice setups where people have gusseted the bottom of the wishbone to strenghten it up.

Back to the original topic.. No, i've never seen a kit.. It's a fairly easy bit of fabriction though.. If you can weld that's 90% of the fabrication...

5. kantgetnun

kantgetnun

thats kind of what I was thinkin too, I got a freind with a lazer machine so I was thinking of making a plate that runs from the top to the bottom to spread the load out
    thanks for the info guys!

6. Gator

Gator

60's Style made a sweet set and posted the whole process start to finish here a while back. They were simple but they wrapped all the way around the bone - looked extremely strong when he was finished.

I thought they were ingenious.

When I did mine I welded a threaded sleeve into the bone from the outside, then threaded the perch in and welded that too.

7. kantgetnun

kantgetnun

I found that thread thanks alot! do you have any pictures of yours?

8. Gemini EFI

Gemini EFI

Sixties Style had a post on this recently.
    Neatest I ever saw!!
    Gemini EFI

9. heavytlc

heavytlc

The way I build my lower links on 4link suspension may help some of the strength issues. I will mill or cut a slot down each side of the link, top and bottom. Depending on the link, the slot will be 1/8"-3/8". I then weld a piece of plate 1/8"-3/8" thick down the full length of the link, welded into the slot. It looks like this (I) looking into the link, if that helps. The slot stops before the end of the link so that you are not trying to rejoin two halves.

It allows for thinner walled links, or far stronger links with out as much weight. It only adds strenght in the verticle plane, but would go along way to keeping a wishbone from bending up and down.

I picked up that trick by watching the guys that would finish better than myself when I was racing. Walker Evans is the first one I saw do it, and that is who I borrowed the Idea from.Nothing like learning from a true ruler.

10. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Do you remember where this was?

11. peteynj

peteynj
    from Jersey

I think speedway sells em i can find out MIKE47 got a set from somewhere

12. Cshabang

Cshabang

if I understand the post right...you wanna know about putting the front spring behind the axle..ala doane spencer, or the rolling bones way....there isn't a kit, when we drill the bones, we sleeve them, and use a normal hanger...we mock it up bolted in, and after final mock up, we jounce the suspension so the spring finds it center, tack, cut the threads, etc off flush, then we countersink so we have a large surface area to weld to, and weld it up in and out...Kens coupe has about 50k on it, and never broke/bent one.....none of the other cars have either...

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

just an fyi
    heard rumor 60's Style is going by some other name now
    so if someone for some reason were to use the search function to find a thread by that name they might want to try...

oh yeah, the brackets work fine and show no sign of impending failure..

14. MIKE47

MIKE47
    from new jersey

I made threaded bungs from round stock. They are drilled deep enough to use the spring perches from speedway that work with bat wings.Then drilled through the bones on both sides and TIG welded them in on both sides. By welding on both sides you are resupporting the bone sides and not compromising their strength. You just need to be sure that you put them where your spring shackles are going to have the right geometry and the spring won't be too long or too short. I just took my roadster on a 300 mile road test over the roughest roads ( NJ, NY CITY, and CONN.)in the northeast with no problems. I will try to post pics. tomorrow. MIKE.

15. Split Bones

Split Bones

I have never seen a kit....but..these ones are from @ posts on the HAMB...I had saved the text..etc ...but only the pics came out .....but they are the best example i have seen .....as you are putting load in an area where its not meant to be ...try not to place them to far back ...as the cast end is only in a 1/8 or so and they are now getting old ...sure they havnt broken yet .....but put them under a different load ...and anything could happen in time ....

Attached Files:

16. peteynj

peteynj
    from Jersey

check it

Attached Files:

17. DuckusCrapus

DuckusCrapus

18. oaktree320

oaktree320

I have not found 60's styles post on this real interesting oaktree