Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New magazines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Looked at their subscribe page. It's in latin or Nordic or something. Seriously. They're off to an inauspicious start.

2. 5window

5window

Doesn't make a lot of sense even if you translate it!
    2718/5000
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean than the price of the pain, nor the eu nisl risus ornare sed. Unless he wishes to set exams in the life of my son, and in fact, never. Sem or use carrots protein. But no vehicles sightseeing, financing football game. Performance in Minneapolis until the pillow. Chat or need oxygen, but they quiver. Present before the drop, and not targeted by, television becomes free. We arrows real estate is at a great afternoon. Proin volutpat est vitae arcu tempus, non rutrum arcu aliquet. Live carton developer and propaganda Performance or Performance airline terror. Integer mauris risus, fermentum elit euismod ac, euismod becomes a lion. Boat or Vulputate now. Sed eget diam, fringilla feugiat ex ac, accumsan est Nulla metus. Quiver present football mass mourning in diameter or, television region. For some soft macro author of that time. Mid-Michigan, football pools need varies, but my free makeup, football malesuada mauris large fermentation production.

Fusce ac tortor he wishes to. Always at the manufacturing temperature. Jasmine football United States to quiver now. But is there anyone lacus rhoncus, sollicitudin eu, and, nor, placerat justo. They do always played football sit diameter. Id ante element United States, with more items. Fusce lacus mi, consequat not a righteous man will one, element of the viverra eros.

It becomes present vitae augue, euismod she wants at any, the greatest of the great. Phasellus tellus sem, consequat non sollicitudin non, faucibus ipsum dolor sit. Nulla. Do not invest it. Fusce et eleifend magna eleifend of life. Every one hated by some, and will not at times, life lobortis nibh ultricies. In fact, ut aliquet erat. In the vestibule of the gate, and be willing to sed lorem. Nutrition residents soccer sad old and ugly netus et malesuada hunger and poverty.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean than the price of the pain, nor the eu nisl risus ornare sed. Unless he wishes to set exams in the life of my son, and in fact, never. Sem or use carrots protein. But no vehicles sightseeing, financing football game. Performance in Minneapolis until the pillow. Chat or need oxygen, but they quiver. Present before the drop, and not targeted by, television becomes free. We arrows real estate is at a great afternoon. Proin volutpat est vitae arcu tempus, non rutrum arcu aliquet. Live carton developer and propaganda Performance or Performance airline terror. Integer mauris risus, fermentum elit euismod ac, euismod becomes a lion. Boat or Vulputate now. Sed eget diam, fringilla feugiat ex ac, accumsan est Nulla metus. Quiver present football mass mourning in diameter or, television region. For some soft macro author of that time. Mid-Michigan, football pools need varies, but my free makeup, football malesuada mauris large fermentation production.
    Community

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I like this link because the writer had the actual talent to BUILD a hinge pin remover that actually works!

https://inthegaragemedia.com/door-hinge-pins/

Very interesting to me. BTW, yeah, that is my old 36 phaeton that I pushed onto a pal... and he still talks to me!!;):D:D

I know the old Ford would not have gotten this level of detailed attention had it stayed in Smithfield! It went to the best place in my opinion.:)

4. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

The subscribe page is not active. It looks like they have "greeked in" type as a placeholder . That is a typical technique in print design to see how something looks, which will be replaced later by the actual content.

town sedan, chryslerfan55 and 5window like this.
  5. Fordors

Fordors

When I clicked on the subscribe tab I saw that gibberish too so I googled
    “Lorem ipsum”, it is a desktop publishing term meaning the text is not available yet.
    Must be too early for details and pricing so hang on and check back periodically.

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes. Let’s go!!!

7. SR100

SR100

"Lorem Ipsum" is a placeholder. It's used to lay out a page when you don't have the final copy. Handy for keeping on schedule, but a serious embarrassment for customers, or worse, potential customers to see it. It's corrupted Latin. The benefit to using it over just typing in random characters is that the words are already of random lengths, so it flows on the page roughly how the final copy will.

pitman and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Looks promising..

5window likes this.
  9. 22 track

22 track

This is a bad environment to try to start a new car magazine in, because the advertiser base will dry up. They probably should wait until the economy improves..

Gasser 57 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Let’s hope this ends quickly and people get back to work...

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Brian Brennan: I graduated UC – Fullerton with a degree in journalism and was heavily involved with hot rods and drag racing at the same time. Tex Smith from the then-fledgling publishing company came by the student placement center and I interviewed. The rest, as they say, is history. Other than working at Disneyland during my last year in high school and through college, this is the only profession I’ve known.

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Yea and good for Brian... He is a hard working guy and if he wants to continue publishing, so be it. (good old Tex Smith will forever pop up in the hot rod magazine industry, we all took note of his expertise in the publishing end of it...) In these days and times, it seems like a magazine is going to get less attractive because no one can go out and buy one off the numerous magazine racks. Subscriptions are great, but the postal service will be slowing down to accommodate the workers, too.

Also, notice that the size of magazines are getting smaller and thinner? It is disheartening to see magazines go out "en masse". (Ten publishing) The West Coast Sunset Magazine used to be flush with stories, great photos and articles, but now, it is a shell of itself. The large, hot rod style magazines were also noticeable over the years getting the slim down treatment.

But, with the current crisis, it might be better to publish online. Advertising from the companies that know Brian Brennan from the past would support the new adventure. We would all support the venture as a new look at the hobby. The local So Cal newspaper industry has taken the crisis into consideration, but publishing costs are offset by free browsing. After a certain period, they ask for a little donation to keep the online access flowing. Those are not a bad deal if the "locked in place" continues as we all are across the world. This might be what we will be used to, for information and researching a little history.

So, what if the physical magazine comes out with the size of the old Rod & Custom, at least there would be a physical magazine. But, updated and current news, photos, interviews, a little history different from the printed pages would keep it alive. That and the online presence, since all of us are using the devices, laptops and home computers a lot more these days, would certainly help keep it in the current view.

Jnaki
    Some people like to have something in their hands to read. So what if the length of any magazine gets smaller, it still will be out there and that is a big deal. It will be a big chance to success, but the backers must feel it is the right thing to do in this time and place in history. The big name staples of the magazine industry are making their cutbacks slowly to work with the times. So, we all might see a smaller physical size magazine, but the content should be good with the experience behind it.

Good luck, Brian...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  13. I'm all for the idea just wish they had better names for the magazines.

teach'm and Max Gearhead like this.
  14. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I wish them well. But the real problem with magazines and newspapers is the business model is proving to be unsustainable. They aren’t really selling information to the reader. They are actually selling the reader to the advertisers. Maybe Brennan and Fortier have a new, sustainable, idea. If so, great. If not, they might not fare any better.

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

My old phaeton after he started on the upgrades:
    IMG_1820.JPG
    This shows the new front bumper.
    pic6.jpg
    The engine when I got the car.
    Picture from hinge pin article:
    001-1936-ford-phaeton-hinge-pin-repair.jpg Looks a bit improved doesn't it?:eek::D:D

16. I contacted the new magazines and got this reply:

Subscriptions rates re as follows:

Digital - 12 issues for $15
    Print - 12 issues for $35
    Print & digital - 12 issues for $40

These are rates for both Modern Rodding and Classic Truck Performance. At this time we are not ready to take orders for subscriptions. OUr first issue is not due out until May. Please stay tuned!

Yasmin
    In The Garage Media
    ...so we should hear more about them soon.

17. town sedan

town sedan

The old dead magazines, even HotRod, lost me when ever tech article became nothing more than long form advertisement for whatever kit they were installing.

When was the last time a magazine tech article actually stated the problems they had and what was done to overcome those problems? Feature car articles did keep me buying for several more years.

I wish this new venture well and depending on the actual product I might buy in.
    -Dave

Gasser 57 and Ford52PU like this.
  18. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

love the hinge pin removal tool!! I hope they make a go of it and succeed

Hamtown Al likes this.
  19. silent rick

silent rick

wasn't fortier on the hamb at one time?

20. 5window

5window

Three bucks an issue isn't that much but how do I know I want to read it if I can't see it?

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

guess that we will just have to wait to see - picked up the new July 2020 100th issue of Ol' Skool Rodz today at Walmart - desperate for something to read - glad that I did - full of good stuff - worth a look

22. $3.00 an issue is cheap entertainment,...I'll subscribe to both new magazines to help get them off to a good start, hopefully others will do the same.
    ...both these guys did great jobs on the other mags, why wouldn't they do the same on 2 new ones?

23. 5window

5window

I'd like to support the magazine but "Modern Rodding" doesn't sound very traditional to me. Seems to promise more builds with sponsors products, rat rods and billet. Hopefully, not. Modern Rodding could be about ways and techniques to do traditional builds in the 21st century, I suppose.

24. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I agree with all of this but I have never understood why , in my own opinion Daine Gingerelly (spelling ?) Is not included or spoken of more. To me he was the most accurate well studied non political and honest describe of everything going on in our hobby. Not just reporting on what was popular to sell magazines but encompassing all that was out there. I felt comfortable with what he uncovered to feel I saw a lot of cool ideas and products that we would have never known existed because those small start up companies were not big advertizers yet. I am sure this is why the magazines didn't give him as much exposure and credit as they did the other journalists that promoted big advertizers products. The guy was full of hotrod history and what was out there.

25. redo32

redo32

I first noticed Daine in motorcycle magazines. Which brings to mind others that crossed over between bikes and hot rods. McMullen owned AEE Choppers, I loved Jake's roadster pick up with the Chopper sides on it when he worked at that mag, Jim Clark did both at McMullen, Bob Green editor of Hot Rod in the '60's did motorcycle road tests and even "Big Daddy Roth" had his bikes and trikes period.

26. ben getting these "new" mags for quite awhile now, they are nicely done and are worth the price of a sub. I enjoy every issue.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
  27. trey32

trey32

I'm pretty sure hop up magazine is still pumping out material, pretty sure it's printed in America too...

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

these are a blend of old school & OT rides 20220507_083531.jpg 20220507_082600.jpg 20220507_083707.jpg 20220507_082039 (1).jpg

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The correct website address is https://inthegaragemedia.com/
    As Jalopy Joker said, it is a mix and match of traditional and not traditional at all vehicles.
    I get both the truck and the rod mags and this time both showed up the same day. Lots of adds simply because you have to sell adds to pay costs or pass those costs on to the buyer. Good slick paper an not outhouse quality paper.
    If you get your undies in a knot because they have billet wheels on the cover or how to install Fi articles along with stuff on traditional cars and events it might not be for you.