Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6V alternator

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FRANK PKNY, Apr 1, 2020.

1. FRANK PKNY

FRANK PKNY

I'm looking for a 6V alternator to install on my traditional 33 hot rod. 59A engine requires a fan mounted on the generator. Does anyone offer this item?

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Why? Just use the generator

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

I can't remember the name of the company ,but I bought a 6 volt alternator for my 53 Ford and they advertised many other models.
    They were from somewhere in Kansas if I recall. they did a lot of one lap of America stuff.
    It worked really well and cured my hot start problem on my 53 Ranch Wagon in the Florida summers
    and gave me great headlights compared to the generator. I had to convert to negative ground which was not difficult.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope you have real deep pockets. The only real advantage would be if you tend to cruise at low speeds a lot at night where a generator just flat doesn't keep up like an alternator would.
    I've never seen a 6 volt battery go dead because a generator wasn't putting out enough at low speed to keep up but have jumped a rig with a 12 V generator and too big of a draw from his sound system back a number of years ago on a cruise night when he pulled into a burger joint to visit with some of us and then it wouldn't start because the amp and lights drew more power than the generator put out. I don' see that happening on a 6 volt rig.

5. Garpo

Garpo

Check Brillman.com for 6 volt.

6. It is only the regulator that determines the voltage that any alternator will work at. That is why there were kits offered to convert automotive alternators to use at 115 vac, to allow a person to operate ac motors.
    If you can't find someone to adapt an alternator for you, and you feel, or you know someone, that is reasonably competent at building simple electronics projects, it would be no problem making one to function with an alternator.
    In electronics publications there are any number of circuits available to make a voltage regulator. And if you can't find one, PM me, and I will look in my books for a suitable circuit.
    I have made my own regulators to use alternators for 115 vac, and some oddball DC voltage applications, and it isn't that difficult to do.
    Here is a youtube link to someone that manufactures Delco alternators for 6V use.

Bob

AV8TOR and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm pretty sure he's looking for a 6 volt alternator that will mount in the same location as the generator does in his '33 with the 59A motor. The cooling fan mounts to the generator on his car. So it takes an alternator that looks like this:

PowerGen.JPG

If you want to convert a Delco 10SI it's a simple matter of buying the part below, no need to mess with building your own regulator. I've converted several 10SI to 6 volt by simply swapping out the 12V regulator for a 6 volt one.
    https://us.amazon.com/dp/B018W90INO/ref=psdc_15719901_t4_B019DHPRHG

firstinsteele and j-jock like this.
  8. ydopen

ydopen

I have a Whitney Generator conversion on my roadster. They use Ford generator end plates with an aluminum body. The ford bearings will take the thrust from the fan. They are expensive but trouble free.
    automotive.html
    Powermaster may make a 6volt generator look alike, but there is some question of radial fan loads on bearings.

John

9. uncle buck

uncle buck

Am I one of the few people that read it needs to have provisions for a fan on the pulley? I don’t have the answer but I am curious if one is available

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

That's the way I read it. I had a 6 volt alternator that worked great from I believe the same place as Southcross mentioned but that was awhile back and I don't remember the exact company.

Not having any idea if they were even still in business or had an application that the OP noted, I didn't say anything.

Now I have to imagine that if you want it bad enough you could adapt it somehow.

11. I thought he was mounting it like a conventional unit. I didn't realize that they were making 6 volt regulators that bolted right in to the Delco alternator.
    I haven't built one in awhile, but if these have been around for a while, I have been working harder than I needed to, by building rather than buying, but regulators are cheap to make because I have all the components. Electronics is another one of my hobbies.
    Bob