Register now to get rid of these ads!

38 ford with 51 mercury flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jbidlack@gmail., Apr 1, 2020.

1. Jbidlack@gmail.

Jbidlack@gmail.

Car just died the other day while out driving. Hit the gas and it did nothing. I was thinking vapor lock, doesn't seem to be the case. Clean fuel lines, gas bowl, carb, etc. Clean plugs, checked points, condenser. All seem fine. I can get it to start when it's cold, and when it gets up to temperature starts having issues. Hit the gas and it literally does nothing. Also I just switched over to Evan's waterless coolant, not sure if that's an issue. Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

2. I've heard of weak condensers going bad when heated up. Are you using the stock ignition system? Any other changes to the engine? Dizzie uses vacuum retard, not advance. Carb change? Give us a bit more info and a pic or two of what your runnin.

3. dwollam

dwollam

Yep, condensor. I had a '39 Ford coupe years ago with a 59ab flathead that did that. Started just fine but would not rev up above idle at all. New condensor fixed it.

Coils can do similar things too.

Dave

4. town sedan

town sedan

8BA style flatheads use venturi and manifold vacuum in the LOM ignition system. No mechanical advance at all.
    I'd be looking at the condenser too.
    -Dave

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker