Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ‘28 Buick- ‘40 Cadillac combo....

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotBUICKrod, Jan 19, 2020.

1. beater40

beater40

I doubt I would cut the axle and plate it, there is plenty width outside the springs to drop the axle a couple inches bringing the width narrower

Sent from my VFD 710 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  2. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

The right side ball stud is in decent shape but the left and the drag link stud were thin under the ball in stem area. I’m sticking with the early style tie rod so I ordered a couple of repair studs. If they don’t work out I think I can repair the old ones. I drilled a hole in this one and tapped it 1/2”X20. (pretty good fit for left tie rod ball)[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

Hey Beater40, thank you for the suggestion but I already cut, welded, plated, assembled it.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Cool. A "dutch repair" of an axle. I did the same to my shed's 2" by 12" by 16' door header .. except I couldn't braze or weld its repair. :)

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Don't see many '28 Buicks… I was told this rear clip was one... is it ? buick cpe 1.JPG

Nailhead A-V8 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The bearings in post # 24 are better quality than anything you can buy today. Use Lubriplate white wheel bearing grease, and they'll last forever.

8. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

9. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

I ended up buying a pair of model A steering ball studs, cutting the shafts off, drilling and threading them. With a stainless .015 shim for “bushings” I was able to get a good, tight fit. Apply plenty of green Loctite, tighten the bolts up to about 150ft#s, cut the excess off, and sand the top of the ball smooth......

10. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

11. raven

raven

Nice fix, but I would be afraid that the constant back and forth pressure on the ball would eventually loosen the bolt no matter what loctite was used. Just a thought. Cool build!
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

hotBUICKrod likes this.
  12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The smaller bearing has ten balls vs nine in the larger one, so the point loading may actually be less on the smaller one.

I have a 1946 Cadillac Flattie with Edmunds heads and intake on it, heading for a future in a '31 Model A. Modified for full flow oil filtering, and backed by a pretty nice '37 LaSalle trans. Ignore the big white elephant motor in the background of the second picture, this thread is about Cadillacs and Buicks.
    CadillacTwo.jpg CadillacOne.jpg

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    kidcampbell71 and hotBUICKrod like this.
  13. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

14. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Buick! I'm in....welded axles make me a bit squeamish I personally would hunt up another (easy to find and cheap) like look at old trailers for sale with a closer width as for spring mounts you can move your front springs outside the frame... this is the old school method of lowering these cars... or you could send your stock axle to Sid Drapal he will drop it whatever amount and set up the king pin inclination so you can use your chevy spindles...just a suggestion...for now it's perfect for mock up to get your steering etc. dialed in

hotBUICKrod likes this.
  15. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

Thx for joining the cheering section, I need it lol. Welding steering pieces makes me squeamish too, I take it very seriously and try to consider every angle. I build aircraft landing gear from scratch, it’s important to know the limits and not push them:)

16. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

100% 4130 w/4130 filler TIG[​IMG]

17. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

18. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

19. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

20. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

I pulled the spark plugs out of the flathead Caddy engine I’ve got and was in for a big (actually tiny) surprise. Left plug is out of the Caddy, plug hole is like 3/8”

21. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, those original heads had some real tiny plug holes in them. Edmunds upsized the plug to a more standard 14mm.

23. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

24. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

A pair of 1950ish Chevy 1/2 ton front springs. I need eyes on both ends. I cut a pair of good ends off some junk springs. I then cut the slider ends off the good springs.

25. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

Next slide the entire spring pack except top leaf down to correct center for existing frame mounts. Drill a hole thru top spring/ bolt the spring pack back together.[​IMG]

26. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

Cut off any leaves that are too long. Weld eyes in position. Springs are low carbon steel, weldability is good, weld on sides of springs/ linear to prevent stress raiser across the spring. [​IMG]

27. chriseakin

chriseakin

Why not get the ends rolled into eyes instead? Or would that make the spring too short?

hotBUICKrod likes this.
  28. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

Cut a pair of bushings for Chevy spring eyes, they are the original stronger eyes so they go in front. Welded eyes go in rear position, leaf pack sets on welded eye therefore very little stress load on weld/joint. [​IMG]

29. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

Cleaned and reused all the pins, new grease zerks. Everything lined up great. [​IMG]

30. hotBUICKrod

hotBUICKrod

On projects like this where different years and models are involved sometimes I just let things flow. The front frame horns are 1 1/2” closer together than the springs. A little creativity will make it fit. The Cad engine doesn’t have exhausts on the outside so narrowing the frame a little is a good option.