Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Mallory wire problems.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Boden

Boden

I have a mallory dual point in my 8ba it’s the flattop distributor. And I’m having a ton of touble getting the wires into the spike. It’s in my 53 ford so it’s pretty tight down there to work. But I am trying to push the wires through the top cap,rubber,and into the spike. Am I doing this wrong?? Please tell me what I’m doing wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Fordors

Fordors

Back out the screws that hold the top of the cap, don’t remove them completely just loosen the cap. A little lube might help too.

3. Are you using 7MM wires, or 8MM?
    Gibbs works well for lube.

lothiandon1940 and KoolKat-57 like this.
  4. I remove the top and push them through a few inches, line em up, push onto the spike and carefully replace the top. Mine is easy to get to though on a sbc. 7mm are a must.

tb33anda3rd and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Maybe a little bit of di-lectric grease.

wraymen likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Like Wraymen says, but the dielectric grease would help too.

wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. I use the grease on metal to metal connections. Never thought about putting it on the post. Good idea.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mark the distributor position, take it out and do the job. Put it back in and go. It's not that hard.

Taking it out also gives you the option of disassembling the cap and cleaning it up. Remember, these things are at least 50 years old. I don't think I've ever seen one (even NOS) that didn't have crud or corrosion in at least one of the sockets. Properly done, these are excellent connections. Add a set of "Rajah" ends on some Packard 440 wires and never worry about it again.

"Wrayman"'s method works also.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Boden

Boden

Got it. So in the end I ended up just putting a little spit on the outside of the wire so it slides through the cap and rubber easy. And I also stripped the wire a little bit to ensure a good connection. I did this with the cap a little loose. Then when I was done. I used a pair of pliers to push the wire onto the spike farther. And tightened up the cap and that squeezed the rubber around the wire and held it in place very strongly. It runs amazing! That’s for all the ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Fordors, lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  10. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I use a ton of wd40 , when it drys out they will be there forever !!!!!!!