Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bangin' my head with a banger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by abonecollector, Mar 28, 2020.

1. So, I have an original '29 tudor. I decided to upgrade to 12V with an alternator & breaker-less distributor. I had no problem dropping the original distributor in & out, lining it up in the #1 position. But, with the new distributor, I can't get it to sit at #1 with the motor at TDC (I know how to get to TDC on model A's easy) it's the oil pump that seems to be the hold up. It's not froze, because when I put the original distributor back in, & spin the motor the rotor moves right along. When I try to turn the pump drive from up top, it won't budge. What am I missing? I can't get the nee rotor to sit at #1 with the motor at TDC

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

trying to turn the rotor is trying to turn the entire engine. aint gonna happen. To get the rotor to sit at #1, with the motor at TDC. the pump and distributor shafts have to line up. Do I understand what you are saying?

3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you try to turn the oil pump with the dizzy drive, you are trying to turn the cam....the cam is trying to turn the crankshaft....
    What hind of new distributor did you get?

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hind.... scheeez kind....I'm going to go replace the leaking manifold gasket on my banger....good luck

5. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know from electronc ignition, but back when I first put a Mallory into my banger in the correct position for TDC, the external condenser was in contact with a spark plug. So I lifted the distributor up, turned it, and dropped it into place. Where the rotor pointed was my "new" number one. Postioned the remaining plug wires accordingly. The distributor didn't care, it just keeps spinning.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, manifold gasket replaced. I think you are trying to index the new dizzy by trying to turn the distributor drive. This is what the drive looks like. The shaft is solid to the gear drive in the cam. So as suggested above, change the wires on the cap or like timing a Model A dizzy initially, loosen the distributor cam and turn the rotor to number 1
    Again good luck IMG_20200328_110046799.jpeg IMG_20200328_110039567.jpeg

ClarkH likes this.
  7. That's the problem. The slot on the pump, doesn't coincide with the slot on the distributor shaft, when the #1 cylinder is at TDC

8. FS ignitions

9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What kind of new distributor? Is a Mallory?

10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh,, I was typing when you were typing... is it the Zipper of the FSI?

11. I thought about doing that. When the distributor is seated, the rotor is at the #3 position. So, I thought about just rerouting the plug wires to correspond with the "new" position

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  12. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. I dont have a problem with removing the side cover, it needs a gasket anyway, that was another option I thought of. I bought the distributor new, it came with instructions-but only for the their breaker plate conversion. Not the distributor conversion

14. Not the zipper. Just the distributor that looks like a modern unit