Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rochester 3x2 help needed!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Jun 28, 2009.

1. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Ok guys,

I am out of ideas on my fixing my 3x2 Rochester setup.

327 Chevy, Edlebrock 3x2 manifold, mild cam.

I am having a problem with the center carb running out of fuel. It runs for 2-3 minutes at 2,00-3,000 rpm, then it starves for fuel and dies.

-Vintage speed 2G conversion kit
    -New stock pump for a '68 327
    -Float drop is set at 1-29/32 per Rochester instructions
    -Fuel is waiting to go into the bowl at the line ( see through red lines)

Do I need to raise the float level more?

I am out of patients and I need some expert advice.

Thanks,

Tex

2. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

3. budd

budd

sounds like your fuel line going to the pump might be restricted, so your just crusing along and it dies?

4. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

3/8 rubber line, I do not think I have restriction because it ran fine with the 4 barel carb before.

????

5. If there is fuel in the line, perhaps the neddle and seat valve is stuck. The float drops, but not enough to open the valve.

6. budd

budd

so can you pull the line off the carb and put a hose on it to a container and roll the engine just to double check your getting lots of fuel, strange things happen, a couple of bees crawled up the line when you were not looking, i'd pump about a quart of fuel just to be sure, then if that checks out pull the top off the carb and double check to see if something has found its way in there. something is keeping the gas from reaching the bowl.

7. F&J

F&J

Yes, do the fuel flow test above. If it is fine, I'd pull the center carb, tip it to drain it out, then with carb right side up, blow through the fuel inlet with your mouth so you could tell for sure if it is restricted.

Sometimes when sliding a rubber hose over the fitting, it cuts a slice of rubber off that blocks the flow to the needle.

8. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Larry Fulton.....the Rochester guru......

9. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I have been thinking about the small round paper filter that fits in the fuel inlet might be restricting the fuel???

Anybody had that issue?

The fuel pressure regulator is wide open at 5 1/2 PSI, which should be way too much for these carbs.

10. What are you doing to filter the gas to the other two carbs?

11. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Yes check the paper element filter. I pulled mine and went with a large vol. inline filter. Other than that? 5 1/2 pounds is not too much for a 2GC. How do you know it's the float?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm no expert but the first thing that I'd suspect is dirt in the needle and seat restricting the flow.

If the fuel system can't keep up with the demand now, playing with the float levels won't affect anything.

13. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

The other two carbs have the same paper filter in the inlet, however they do no need as much fuel. Maybe that is my problem.

14. budd

budd

i always liked the sintered bronze fuel filters, no check valve and you can blow them out.

15. 1929rats

1929rats

It may be your float....this happened to me too and I couldnt figure it out....

check and see if your float will "float" in a coffee can , or what not....charlie does stock replacement floats (at Vintage speed) and I carry an extra one in my car at all times...also it could be your needle and seat (as said above).

The "new" ethanol gas has been causing problems for some guys in the hobby as well....

being starved for fuel says, "float not rising" to me.....

16. PM dickster27, He will know. :rolleyes:

17. alchemy

alchemy

Actually, if the float was not rising, wouldn't you have too much fuel?

Could your float be set too high? Is your pressure too low? You do have a regulator with a gauge on it, right? I don't know what a Rochester can take, but maybe 5.5 lbs is not enough.

18. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I just called him and he is out until July 5th............I also PMed Dickster for help.

19. budd

budd

hurry up and pull that dam filter and give her a try, were all hanging around waiting to hear what happens.

bchctybob likes this.
  20. F&J

F&J

:) x2

Any chance the filter was in backwards?

bchctybob likes this.
  21. Rathbone

Rathbone

I guess it worked.