Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 Ford P-up Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, May 21, 2013.

1. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Good choice with Newport wipers. Great product and even greater people.

winduptoy and loudbang like this.
  2. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Don't know how I missed this one but you are definitely doing a 40 justice. Nice build.

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

4. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a great thread. I've been taking notes; especially the wiper installation. I only have the 1 hole on the drivers side and, since the truck is 6 volts ,I'm planning, temperarilly ,on a single wiper like VW. Besides, my wife hates the truck.:)

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

I mounted an a/c evaporator under the seat like that as an auxiliary unit ages ago. Bad idea since it gives poor air flow to where you need it.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Goldmountain - thanks for your insight. Where did you have your vents or is it that the unit was not able to pull enough air being under the seat? The under seat area will not be closed off in that there is an opening between the seat bottom and the surround and around the back side .....

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  7. goldmountain

goldmountain

Hot air rises, but cold air goes down. Place the evaporator under the dash.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. goldmountain

goldmountain

Having second thoughts here. I put that evaporator under the middle seat of my pals Dodge van because it had an aftermarket a/c that just didn't put out enough and I mounted it facing forward. Since you are dealing with an old pickup, if you place it facing rearward and duct it really good behind the seat and up into the headliner, it should work out. I just remembered sitting in the middle seat of a later model van with headliner a/c ducts that worked well.

9. Working on the truck but sporadically and mostly small stuff. I have also been working on my coupe correcting some things. Clutch was very hard when it should not have been. Made some adjustments and softened it up quite a bit. My third member 3:23 pumpkin was leaking. I pulled it, had it checked over (the crush collar was the culprit), and working on reinstalling it today. Anyway you look at sit I am having fun in the garage.....

The seat folds but the release is the only on the passenger side and tough to get to when the seat is in. Made up an arm for the drivers side and used a metal band to connect them. Now I can release the seat from either side ...

7A3C8C4B-3B15-4ACC-978B-738AC8A53DE2.jpeg
    075799BD-5160-4F73-BDF4-C2C40B94FCF8.jpeg
    D38F411B-345E-4804-AF09-70A6382A8061.jpeg
    The rear upper console mounting block dried enabling me to glue in the extensions ....
    2178D712-9B49-4D83-8C3C-4FF632CF4648.jpeg
    809F9D7E-2C04-4DDE-B5D9-9B8E2E2F2CAD.jpeg 617D935D-747F-4C7E-8D24-23C60B717925.jpeg
    C877B262-E54B-4BDE-93C3-3E44A833B8B8.jpeg
    The piece screwed into my extensions was to square them up and provide a stable surface for my prop.

Now back to my pumpkin ......

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  10. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

Nice fit. What type of adhesive are you using for future reference ?

11. Thank you! Liquid nails .....

12. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

13. Thank you sliced deuce!

loudbang likes this.
  14. Well, didn’t get to the gas pedal today but I mounted the ac unit, finished cleaning up the wiring and made a cover plate for the rear console section ...

82C84AB6-3E26-4E5D-85A5-1B9F55123B67.jpeg
    8175AC82-8B3C-4C22-9290-CA47ED43A959.jpeg
    Tomorrow is another day .....

15. I have spent the last two days on the heater installation. First, I had to move it to the right so there was room for the gas pedal. In doing so the firewall has a 1.5” indentation into the cab so I needed a block on the right side of the heater. I could not find the bolts I needed for the block side of the heater box install so temporarily I am using all thread which I had around. Now it was time to drill holes into the firewall. Made up a cardboard template with a piece of 1x2 wood on the one side that is 1.5” thick ....
    94585063-E6BA-4A5C-A6CB-0C6600F1F307.jpeg
    I drilled one of the three holes for the left side but now I did not have a way to hold the heater up, get it level, and drill the rest of the holes. So, with some scrap lumber I built a shelf to support the heater so I could play with the heater to get it into position ....
    F2E34025-A0BC-470C-BD35-DA4834B3B5AB.jpeg
    This was supported well enough in the front, back, and in the middle so I could lean on it and do whatever without things moving around. I was able to drill the holes right where I needed them as the shelf was nearly spot on with a shim underneath .....
    45E488FF-5638-4E7E-8B24-CAA0C2D4B62D.jpeg
    The all thread has proven to be a pain but they will come out once I get the correct bolts. I had the heater in and our multiple times checking things and drilling just a few holes at a time until it was done .....
    104C0B73-DB9B-4C8C-8AEC-FB19D250625D.jpeg
    EE469A9C-87C8-46DA-B641-84B58C0675B3.jpeg
    I put some firewall insulation behind it, ran the vacuum lines and installed the vacuum switch for the defroster on the unit. The heater hose supplied with it fortunately slips inside the stock Ford defroster hose so once I have insulated up under the dash and stuff, I will combine the hoses and reinstall the glove box.
    It seems like I spent a whole lot of time for just one thing but that’s hot rodding. Rome wasn’t built in a day and time is something I have right now so I am just going to keep chipping away at stuff ...

16. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks good, Tom. You have all the comforts.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Haha! Remember I am building this for the wife and you know my roadster. If ever two vehicles were at opposite ends of the spectrum to me, they are!

18. Been working on the backside of the cab insulating, making a storage tray, and working on interior panels .....
    4BCD03D7-4C4C-4B99-A66D-922CDB7F6BB4.jpeg
    I am kind of stuck on the cab at the moment as I wait for done electrical stuff, insulation, and a few other things. Insulating the cab got me thinking on where minor stuff could be stored ....
    3BA4D44F-620F-4972-AE5C-80C49E601EF1.jpeg
    So I made an area behind the seat .....
    F146FE05-D349-4F77-91A3-D5D27453E4AD.jpeg

It is not done yet but I walled off the area so things don’t slide around from a short stop or sharp turns. I built a 40 Pickup some years ago and made up panels for around the doors, rear window, cowl pieces, and some door panel pieces which I made templates for knowing I would build another pickup some day. They were rough cut then so I started fitting them to the cab .....
    90E89A15-369B-4ECB-A0AD-01FBFC1FF94A.jpeg
    You have to start with the headliner and work your way down. The door surrounds are tricky but when I did this before, it really looked pretty good and the wife liked it. I will need some upholstery material and padding to complete the look but it is a bit of a dance with the curved cab corners. Future work/pics will tell the tale but I will dig up some pics of the last pickup I did it to .....

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Watchin and payin attention.

20. If the door is the final color, it's great! What is it from? Or did I miss that earlier?
    Bill

loudbang likes this.
  21. Thank you! Color is

1939-40 Ford Mercury Blue Poly
    code number M-1774
    TCP30020

The inside I have left gloss, outside has been mixed and shot with a flattener added ......

winduptoy likes this.
  22. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

She’s gonna like it!! The only time you have behind the wheel will be shake down.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Been waiting for some electrical parts and insulation so I have been working on a honey-do project and sone upgrades/changes to the 32 coupe. Actually the 32 coupe stuff has been pretty time consuming and that and the truck have kept me busy, using the 32 as a fill in time wise. The electrical blocks and insulation has come in but not the connectors I need as of yet. I did install and run some wires to the blocks. My Rebel wire purchase for this project was a while ago with no thought to ac or other items I have added so it’s only a 9+3 fuse panel. The “3” are for two keyed and one hot plug-ins of your choice that would require an inline fuse. I chose the blocks as they have 8 fused ports that can be configured anyway you like. I bought two, one hot, one keyed, installed and ran wires to them until out of time yesterday ....

78654806-B266-4E45-91FA-985C2653249E.jpeg
    The blocks are for boats or cars and come with little labels as well. The Hot port on my fuse panel is to the right, the two keyed middle and left. I used 12 gauge wire to energize the blocks .....

24. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a good use of the seat riser space and nice job on the wiring. My wiring is original harness(new) and I don't know what I'm going to use the seat riser space for. Maybe it'll be emergency road supplies.:D.

winduptoy, Kan Kustom and loudbang like this.
  25. Thanks, Joel ..... Just trying to be “smart” with space as there is precious little in a pickup cab that’s for sure!

26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Looks nice and tidy Tom. I bought a couple of those fuse blocks too. I hope to use them on my next build.

27. Thanks, 39 Guy - good luck with that next build. I am thinking this will be my last one but you never know.,I do plan on building a few flatheads though and use my avatar as a test mule ....

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  28. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I have built my last flathead...I have a 341 HEMI core sitting here that will go in the 40 when this flatty fails. I am cleaning the shop up before starting the next project and have found a lot of good flathead parts that I hope to find a good home.

winduptoy, loudbang and Kan Kustom like this.
  29. So I have been going back and forth between a rather involved honey-do project and the truck. Since the honey-do is an outdoor item, I work on that when
    the sun shines, the truck when raining. Truck progress is mostly on smalls and continued uninterrupted insulating the cab ....
    70E8ADC3-B044-4DED-8628-B6BB3AC42491.jpeg
    I have also started connecting headlight switch, starter switch, wiper switch, and some gauge wiring. I have also finished the cowl insulation and got the heater box hoses run ....
    04A08694-D60E-4EB7-A34E-042E2CEBD905.jpeg
    I am presently working on the manual heater pull setup to the valve in the engine compartment - more pics tomorrow as it is supposed to rain ...

Toms Dogs, winduptoy, brEad and 3 others like this.
  30. loudbang

loudbang

It's going to be a sleeper. Old body full of modern comfort items. :)