Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1963 NHRA Nationals Indy Wide World of Sports

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Nick Pettitt over at the ole YouTube, just posted this fantastic old episode of ABC's Wide World of Sports. Classic footage of The Ramchargers, "Ohio" George Montgomery, Stone Woods n Cook and Big Daddy. Don even gives a short interview, at the end. Better pack a lunch for this one. Well worth the time.

slug, 47ragtop, GordonC and 8 others like this.
  2. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Great video thanks for sharing.

jakespeed63 and Deuces like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

could not see NHRA that you focused on - got error announcement - but, by clicking on lower right arrow there is a bunch of others to watch

jakespeed63 likes this.
  4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The video is working for me, JJ.
    Thanks Jake. Cool man. Feels like this is perfect for today.
    Everybody have a good Sunday.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and jakespeed63 like this.

5. Thanks fellas, also thought this perfect to kill some time today. Actually should be in the planning stages of our Florida Dragstrip Riot 4, nostalgia event, but doubt any potential sponsors want to talk to me right now.
    October 31st, for anyone near central Florida in the fall
    JT

6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Awesome !!! Made my day. Did anyone else see the sea of WWll pith helmets in the crowds ? My wife didn't understand why I have them in my shop and why I think they are so cool until I showed her this video.

7. 270283

Much more fun to watch than current NHRA coverage of nothing but Pro classes. Thanks.

8. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Great video thanks for posting, I saw that when it came out in 63 on ABC. I was 13 years old and a drag racer (actually pit kid for the MG in avatar)We were at Indy the following year (car not me). I finally went in 68.

Pat

9. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I was there!

jakespeed63 likes this.
  10. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I agree with 270283 much better than the pro classes they show now. I don't watch the current pro class drags they show now but would watch if they showed the sportsman classes.

Mark Yac and jakespeed63 like this.
  11. primed34

primed34

12. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great find. Thank you!

jakespeed63 likes this.
  13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool video! Liked to see Garlits talking as a young guy as I met him a couple years ago...

jakespeed63 likes this.
  14. 0ldracer

0ldracer

I was there too!!! Not only was I there, I am in the video. The final round of D/Gas against Gene Moody in his 1955 Chevy. It all started out like this...unfortunately it ended a little bit differently! Very disappointing to say the least, but not bad for a 20 year old at his first NATIONALS.
    INDY63HALES.jpg

15. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I remember S&S speed shop from when I was a kid growing up in Falls Church. I remember seeing the Stone Woods and Cook gasser in a garage around there somewhere. I thought that was the coolest thing ever!!!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

0ldracer likes this.
  16. phat rat

phat rat

I was there that week-end. I also remember Tom McMullan was there with his roadster. Another hightlite of the week-end was one night watching the Ramchargers doing testing out on the highway

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  17. Studebaker64

Studebaker64
    from Eastern US

Wanted: Any information on a black 1963 Studebaker Lark supercharged convertible (white top) that raced at the Indianapolis Raceway Park in 1963. Driven by Jim Franklin from Childers Studebaker dealership in Indianapolis.

I believe it was in the C/Gas Supercharged class at the 1963 NHRA Nationals at Indianapolis. It raced at the Raceway Park throughout the summer and Fall of 1963 and may have been in the C/FX class for those races.

Any photographs, event programs, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I would gladly pay for your time and effort and any information provided.

Here's a picture of the car as it looks today.
    1963 Lark R2 convertible.jpg