Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ESAB Welder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppednslammed, Mar 20, 2020.

1. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Hey crew,

I was wondering if anyone out there is using an older model (2003 ish) ESAB Migmaster 210.

I’m getting ready to start finish welding on fab’d sheet metal parts for my 64 Comet and can not for the life of me get the .023 wire to feed right and not birds nest on me at the feed rollers.

The .030 works perfect I swapped rolls and tips adjusted wire tension and been fighting it since

Any suggestions ( besides a new welder) would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Jim IMG_1288.JPG IMG_1554.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. You might have a worn spot in the liner that captures the thin wire but not the thicker. I had that happen after 15 years with a Linde machine. Also, if you run the tension on the feed too tight some machines seem to wad it up. Whether you can buy a liner or a whole new wand is the question....

j-jock likes this.
  3. The wire I use most is .023", and my other wire for heavier work, is .045.
    I haven't changed a liner for quite awhile, but I don't think this is a brand of welder thing, but just a matter of wear in the liner. I have been buying Bernard for years, and they sell a liner, where you can just replace the worn end. I don't know if other manufacturers have replacement liners with this feature, but I like them. I am including the link for educational purposes.
    https://www.bernardwelds.com/bernard-welding-liners-p162016

Bob

4. oldolds

oldolds

The liner size should match the wire size. You can get away with a larger liner size, but it works better with the right stuff.

choppednslammed and j-jock like this.

5. flatford39

flatford39

as others have said change your liner to match the wire.

choppednslammed likes this.
  6. Tip and cup must be clean at all times. I mean clean and clear of splatter, build up etc. Get in the habit of looking at it every few welds. If the tip by the wire looks a little funky file it flat or hit it with the sander, a little shit there will make the wire stick and you will go crazy looking everywhere else.Iff the hole looks a little big replace the tip, correct tip for wire size of course.

stillrunners and choppednslammed like this.
  7. Grab the wire while you are adjusting tension and it must be able to slip if you hold it tight.

8. loosen the tension on your feed rollers

j-jock and choppednslammed like this.
  9. How about tightening up a bit on the nut holding the spool of wire?

10. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

I was kinda hoping to here this answer here. Because in my limited knowledge I kept going tighter

I went back to the .030 and readjusted the tension I noticed the less pressure made it act a lot smoother and was like oh boy I was goin the wrong way!!!

I was done for the night and didn’t feel like swapping everything back so I’ll try that tomorrow for sure

11. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

The .023 wire doesn't have much strength and on my Esab I had the same problem. When using .023 it works just fine as long as I use a .023 liner. When you move up to .030 wire, you can usually get away with an .035 liner,.......but not with .023. You also need to cut the liner to the correct length and make sure it doesn't have a burr where you cut it. Your old liner can be used to determine the proper length.
    I'd buy one of those lubricators that slips over the wire between the spool and the liner and some of the special oil to. It helps keep the liner slick.
    One last tip.....when using .023 wire don't let your cable lay crooked or coiled. The fewer coils or bends the better.

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Nice work on the Comet so far.

13. keeping the line as straight as possible when welding helps also to compensate for a bad liner. push the welder away if needed to keep it straight and avoid bends.

14. jaracer

jaracer

Yes, that's what fixed my Miller when I had the same problem. Now it works fine with the smaller wire.

15. don miller

don miller

Make sure the liner is captured by the set screw in the diffuser-that is the little brass piece that screws into the goose neck then the tip screws into it. If it is not captured it will pull back when using then it can catch when entering the tip

16. rnscustom

rnscustom

I had an old mig master 150 . There was no end on the liner . I had the same issue and corrected it by setting the liner as close to the feed roll as possible without touching , same on the other side of the wheel . There was a plastic liner that I adjusted as close as possible . Hopefully that helps

17. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Thanks!! .. it’s a slo go but gettin closer every weekend

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

tell us more about your Comet or start a build on here. I am building a 65 Comet Wagon.

19. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

There’s a build thread on here, it gets updated every now and then .. it’s under the title “64 Comet Build”

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  20. choppednslammed

choppednslammed

Hey guys .. a quick update on this.

It seems the issue is the trigger in the gun itself. As the trigger is pulled in slowly it starts to feed wire, when the trigger bottoms out, it quits feeding like its shorting out the connection somehow.

As a work around till I can get hooked up with the guy that fixes these, I fab’d up a stop that will not let the trigger bottom out and stay in the “working” zone.

Used it all morning with not one issue or wire burnt back and stuck to the tip

j-jock and AndersF like this.
  21. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

Those dang gremlins are tricky little fellers. Glad you found it.

22. great informative thread - thanks

23. I am glad to know you have isolated the source of the problem.
    Bob