Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford TwinT straight 8 build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Blackbob, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Blackbob

Blackbob

Not long after I bought the fairground racer that has grown into “The Gin Runner” my ’26 Gowjob T i found a picture here on the HAMB of the late Gary Le Fever’s twin engined model T. I was totally smitten by it, I have always wanted a vintage straight eight race style car but know that I could never afford to buy one…. so I tracked down a phone number and called him at his home in Wichita and we spoke for a while about his car and how he put it together.
    I started to hatch a plan to build a TwinT using a matched pair of ’26T motors chain wrapped together and set up to run as a straight eight. The standard Ford “bent coat hanger” cranks have been a concern since day one, but I reckon if I can build the motors individually with good balance and use a floating transmission shaft as well as the chain wobble joint, it should be able to work together without tearing itself apart.
    I started gathering the parts for this about 10 years ago. I now have two fresh built T short blocks, one with alloy pistons the other with iron ( i plan to change them to alloy ones before I check everything for balance. I have 3 or 4 crankcase/oil pans and have decided to use a mixture of a 3 dip rear pan and the front section of a 4 dip one which will be held together and in line using a pair of 6”x1/4” side plates which will have cross plates welded in and a 1”x1/4’ lip to welded along the tops picking up the lock to crankcase mounting bolts, this will form a “girdle” to hold both motors in line and stop them slumping in the middle.
    The complete 5’6” power plant will bolt into a stock 100” wheelbase 1926 T Chassis that I have bought and the stock two speed trans will drive a shortened drive shaft thru a shortened torque tube to a stock T rear axle.
    Cooling will be as Henry designed with a re-cored stock T radiator
    Ignition will be initially supplied via battery and a Rover V8 distributer run by bicycle chain from the rear motors camshaft nose but I may change to a magneto setup at a later date.
    Bodywork will be from the Noel Bullock’s Tin Lizzie School with a minimal alloy cowl and two staggered bucket seats
    I started to put the two motors together just before Christmas and so far I have made up the chain joint using two chainwheels the front drilled to suit the rear crank flange of the front engine’s crank and bolted to it using countersunk set screws, the rear drilled to suit the nose of the rear engine’s crank which is pinned through the starter dog’s bolt hole. I will also be cutting a keyway and fitting a woodruff key.
    The next stage is to make up the “girdle” so the motors can be held in line.
    I have a good ’26 T chassis and axles currently in storage at a friends place and all of the transmission, suspension and steering parts in had as well as a set of 4 good 21” T wire wheels and hubs to suit.
    2009Reunion0080.jpg 2009Reunion0083.jpg 87285615_3095385640506046_1819769384093089792_n.jpg 8cly ford.jpg 482822.jpg 75412066_2865977543446858_795853179341242368_n.jpg 75627501_2861210227256923_4420538464559169536_n.jpg 76199687_2852166308161315_3858716429679329280_n.jpg 72553783_2770089176369029_4139317444969758720_n.jpg This is a slow burner build as I have plenty to do with a house renovation, The Gin Runner, the ChevyT special and a full time job… but it will all come together :)

2. guitarguy

guitarguy

Way cool. I'm in for the ride. The best part is, you know it's been done before, so the reference "should" help you.... hopefully.

Sent from my thinks it's smarter than me smart phone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blackbob likes this.
  3. Blackbob

Blackbob

Yeah, best bit is it will be all 1926 Ford apart from the adapters and whatever bodywork i end up using. A plywood speedster tub i bought already is most likely. I already have a ‘26 chassis with title/v5 doc and both motors are ‘26.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. v8flat44

v8flat44

Oh Henry !!! Look at that.....if it's from Scotland, it's gotta be gooood !
    Love'n it.
    mike firth

winduptoy and Blackbob like this.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VANDENPLAS and Blackbob like this.
  6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Oh hell yeah!! I'm in.

mgtstumpy and Blackbob like this.
  7. 282doorUK

282doorUK

When it comes to projects it's always good to stretch yourself, it can double your capabilities!

I'm following along too...

Outback, winduptoy, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  8. Blackbob

Blackbob

You are so right! I also found that with my old Indians, and working on the T one idea leads to another then you have to figure out how to do what you have imagined, the design process and just trying parts together sometimes lead you down a completely different path from what you first had in mind

9. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

Whooooeeeeeee. Man alive, what a thing.

mgtstumpy, Blackbob and Hnstray like this.
  10. 282doorUK

282doorUK

Yep that's why we do this stuff, always thinking about and making stuff means I've never been bored in my life, can't understand people who are.

guitarguy and Blackbob like this.
  11. Speaking of spaghetti crankshafts, doesn’t that almost double the stress on the driven crank?

12. Blackbob

Blackbob

That really depends on the balance and the timing of both motors. If both cranks are carefully balanced and timed at 90º to each other the theory is that they are not fighting each other but acting as one crankshaft. The front one just helping the rear one on when it is not firing. ... Only one way to find out! :D

If it works out ... great! If it goes nice then goes bang, there's always the SCAT crank route. If it runs shit , i can try four big bang timing or just go back to 4 cylinder :)

13. Well if it does,nt work you will have some interesting parts for wall hangers :cool:.

VANDENPLAS and Blackbob like this.
  14. Wish you well.

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Subscribed.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Just when I’m starting to get my head around 4 bangers this thread comes along, looking forward to watching this grow.
    Loved the GinRunner build, following this for sure.

Blackbob and loudbang like this.
  17. Blackbob

Blackbob

I had a little bit of time in the barn this morning, so started the process of trimming and drilling to fit the folded steel under pan to the rearmost T oil pan, i used countersunk set screws to pull the two pans together and keep it all straight. Once it is all drilled and bolted together, I plan to braze the two together then follow the same process for the front oil pan and then form a sump under the chain joint to give the front motor a reasonable oil capacity.

130689206_3927922813918987_5301840203037641939_n.jpg 131205992_3927922920585643_2765288493936321697_n.jpg 131339403_3927922800585655_269824389272535377_n.jpg

18. That’s one looooong oil pan!

absolutely outstanding idea .
    I’m along for the ride

19. Flatnose

Flatnose

Very cool project! I' m in.

20. TCTND

TCTND

The biggest threat to the spaghetti cranks is torsional vibration. If you adapted modern dampers to both ends of the forward engine and the front of the rear engine they might have a chance of surviving.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

354 cubic inches of warmed up Model T goodness in a little speedster.
    Hee hee hee...

Outback, winduptoy, shivasdad and 3 others like this.
  22. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool indeed!......You do know that we're going to need to see some videos of it running don't you?

loudbang and Blackbob like this.
  23. Blackbob

Blackbob

That will be a pleasure, i hope to get it going on a test stand first so i can sort out any issues before putting a rolling chassis together. Ive got most of the running gear and a chassis stashed in various places for that time

winduptoy and loudbang like this.
  24. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

Some time around 1952 I was visiting Don Ross in his home garage in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Mr Ross was a machinest at Stanolind (Standard of Indiana) Research Center and the coach of the Boy Scout rifle team I was on.

My older brother and I were installing a 322 Buick in a 1934 Ford. He told me about his hot rod from his youth (circa 1925 - 30?). Twin Chevy fours with Olds heads in a Studebaker Light Six chassis. No body other than a cowl and two bucket seats. He said the local police (somewhere in Colorado, I don't recall the small town) were unable to catch him when he and his friends were racing! Police had an "American Underslung" as a chase car.

25. Blackbob

Blackbob

That would be some machine! I have two ‘28 Chevy 4’s and one Olds head but they are for another project. I have been thinking about using the ohv Chev heads on the TwinT though, once i have the basic setup running well.

Outback and loudbang like this.
  26. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

Hay! two 28 chevy 4's end to end, Wow! Naw, I've got so many irons in the fire now that my time is spend packing firewood!

winduptoy, loudbang and Blackbob like this.
  27. Blackbob

Blackbob

I have been thinking about that set up, in a stretched Gerber style T based chassis Same here, most of my spare time is spent putting winter feed out for the horses or fixing fences

winduptoy and loudbang like this.
  28. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Nice, gotta love an inline eight (I'm biased!). Technically you balance but only when the firing order is spread out across the cylinders, I would think?

I'll leave that discussion up to the people who know better!

Watching with interest.

Phil

loudbang and Blackbob like this.
  29. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Greetings from south jersey, (USA of course!)..... gonna be an interesting build!!... since straight 8 engines have been around for quite a few years and balance apparently isn't a huge problem you most likely won't encounter any issues either.....however a couple of years ago I read a very interesting story about joining two 9 cylinder Pratt & Witney radial aircraft engines to form the two bank 18 cylinder engine necessary for bigger bombers like the B29 and the great lengths necessary to,keep harmonics and vibrations under control....good luck!

30. Blackbob

Blackbob

Ive had loads of different opinions, Gary LeFever who built the burgundy car at the start of the thread found that by running both cranks in 4 time (4 big bangs) it ran ok with both cranks balanced individually and the chain wobble joint in between. Others have run with straight 8 of V8 timing and a wobble joint and have had success. I guess its a suck 'n' see situation, certainly is from my perspective as my backyard engineering skills don't stretch to harmonics .. it'll either go or go bang! My gut feeling is that by having the second motor set 90º to the first both cranks should work together and run more evenly, so that is what I plan to do first.