Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

^^ Oh man, that scoop...where's the Ford teardrop bubble when you need one?

2. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

This was at the Detroit Autorama last weekend.

[​IMG]

3. jimdillon

jimdillon

Scott Leber with Scott Rods and part of the ScottRods AA/Gasser group. Great looking car. Really looking forward to watching it run at Byron at the upcoming Glory Days event in July. The paint work and flake is really something IMO. Would like to see it run against Crazy Grandpa Bob Cook. That would make for a good picture for sure.

4. loudbang

loudbang

I believe there is a build thread about this car here on the HAMB

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

There was a build thread I believe. The thing I really liked is that Scott went with Cragars which make it look period correct IMO. I like the flake. I shot a little flake years ago kind of experimenting but really wanted to shoot a more ambitious flake and had plans on one but it never same to fruition. If I ever get around to another Vette drag car I had thought of something along those lines and then do the coves with some off white and PPG Tincture Gold Pearl I have had on my paint shelf since the 70s.

6. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

1.jpg 2.jpg Yes I recall seeing it somewhere here. That was my prime motivation in posting it. Here's a little more. I don't know that any of these pictures do the paint justice.

7. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Paint jobs like this are RARELY justified through pictures. You have to see them in person to truly appriecieate them! JMO. Truely a beautiful job though.

loudbang likes this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

@rumblegutz lightened it up a bit that paint needs to be seen. :)

2.jpg

9. loudbang

loudbang

I was mistaken. :confused: There is no build thread on that Corvette BUT there are a bunch of progress photos in the Corvette Gasser thread starting around post 1138 Oct 5 2005 if anyone wants to look it up.

If you member search here on the HAMB his user name is Scottrodslic then go to his profile page and look at all content and you can follow his postings.

But he hasn't been on the HAMB in about a year.

[​IMG] .

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
  10. Boodlum

Boodlum

Clumsy as it may look, "Grumpy Lumps" compliment C1 Corvettes better than teardrops that fight the car's lines. (I would size the Lump down a couple steps were it mine - unless it covers tall injector stacks.)

ETA: Pontiac "Super Duty" hood scoops are in reality Ford truck scoops.
    Both Super Duty Pontiac Tempests (one coupe and one wagon) delivered in 1963 to Hine Pontiac on Ross Avenue in Dallas had Ford truck scoops from the factory. Bless his immortal soul, then service department manager Monk King died knowing where the coupe resides and told no one (wagon went to Arnie Beswick). Several of us watched when Monk got the Denton TX Pontiac dealership (later Kirchner Pontiac) but the 421 Tempest coupe never appeared.

ETA2: In those days Ted Cassidy was a salesman at Hine Pontiac in 1963. Ted is better known today as "Lurch" on the Addams Family tv series. He and his wife were great partiers. Ted played piano and sang hilarious songs and his wife played guitar. Ted also was an on-air television personality during the Kennedy assassination.

ETA3: I know because I hung out at Johnson Chevrolet also on Ross Avenue (Dallas Miracle Mile of dealerships) while working for Tom Johnson (Delmo Johnson's older brother) on the Vanguard Warrior 1 and later Vanguard Vetta Ventura cars.

11. Boodlum

Boodlum

A Continuation Grand Sport at Duntov Motor Company in Farmers Branch TX.
    Notice the drooped nose and tail. The way Pete Brock wanted but Ed Cole wouldn't allow.
    Original Grand Sport owner Ed Sevadjian's son Alan is there. The father/son raced their Grand Sport at Texas Green Valley Raceway in 1964 when I was there crewing for Delmo Johnson and his Grand Sport. Alan is a couple years older than me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A year later Delmo had an off-track excursion at Green Valley and rearranged his Grand Sport's front end
    [​IMG]

12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Really????????
    This is a sketch my High School buddy, Dan Bennington did about 1965. It was a characterization of one of our classmate's, Bob Hammond, '56 Corvette. I think it flows much better with the lines of that car than any GL I have ever seen. Dan and Bob are both gone now, but everytime I see this pic it makes me smile.

Benni Cropped.jpg

13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

GH it would make me smile also. To have a drawing from back in the day is really special. I had a friend that drew in HS also mostly like Roth stuff but a car or two every now and then. Don't know where he is, haven't seen that crowd since 66.

Pat

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bruce, I'm betting Dan was sneaking inside his PeeChee to draw that, I'm also thinking he may have had the Cheetah on his mind based on that roof on the Corvette.;)
    Sure wish I could draw that good though!

Deuces, Bowtie Coupe and enloe like this.
  15. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

My 56 has one of those "Grumpy Lumps". If I could find any history on this car, I might keep the "GL" but since I have had no luck in finding any history, I think the first thing to go will be that hood scoop. I really don't like it at all File Jul 28, 7 04 46 AM.jpeg

16. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

That's a good looking ride.
    jp

17. loudbang

loudbang

18. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

19. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

It does with me.

Deuces, enloe and loudbang like this.
  20. '60 Vette Ad Originally posted by Hemidav on the Vintage Shots from Days Gone By Thread
    ZZZZZZZX4527.jpg

21. loudbang

loudbang

22. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

[​IMG]

Looks like an old hot rod Vette ready to be dusted off again.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. loudbang

loudbang

24. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

The wide whites seem a little out of place on this body style

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Loudbang, you sure find some cool old photographs! Thank you.

26. loudbang

loudbang

27. loudbang

loudbang

28. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

29. jimdillon

jimdillon

I wonder what it will bring. If it was me I would clean it but apparently buyers want to pay extra for dirt.