Register now to get rid of these ads!

59AB flathead 6 to 12 volt conversion parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkmonger, Jul 26, 2009.

1. junkmonger

junkmonger

I saw several threads on what parts were needed to convert a flathead from 6 to 12 volts, but no part numbers. I ordered some parts from NAPA, and I'm hoping they work, because I don't want to ruin a fresh rebuild by cranking it excessively with no spark.

I used '57 Thunderbird part numbers from a NAPA catalog:
    FA82 12 volt condenser
    ICR11 12 volt ballast resistor
    IC10SB 12 volt coil

From what I've read, this should be all I need (besides stock 59AB ignition parts) to get it running. Does anyone see a flaw in this logic, or does it sound like a plan? As usual, I thank anyone who wants to share info.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  2. junkmonger

junkmonger

3. R Pope

R Pope

All I ever do is replace the coil with a 12v. one with a built-in resister. Then you don't have the resister hanging out in the open.

4. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

I have a chrome coil from Speedway for a SBC (got it from the neighbor), a 12V resistor from Napa (unsure what its for), and a 12v converted generator. Good luck.

5. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Parts you listed will work just fine.

6. T_Bird Guy

T_Bird Guy

I just installed the same setup on my 1947 Ford with a 59AB flathead. I have been having trouble with the coil with a built in resistor and stock condenser.

7. junkmonger

junkmonger

Thanks to everyone that answered! Sounds like I'm on the right track.

8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Me too,Thanks

9. If you are using stock guages, use a "dash power regulator" for a 1965 to 1968 Ford. Fords up until the late 70's I think had 6-volt guages, so they needed a kick-down. This one is easy and siunce it is designed by Ford, should be a good place to start. I have one on three diff cars.

10. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Does anyone know what OHM the resistor needs to be? Im troubleshooting an issue with my ignition and accidentaly broke my resistor today! I put in a 5 OHM resistor and it started smoking on startup. Any ideas?

11. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

a buddy and i were just talking about this today. then i find this thread.hell im going in the right direction before i knew i was going...lol

12. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

go to speedway motors n theirs a kit 30 bucks and your all set.

13. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outside of having the generator converted I can most likely just go to the back shelf in my garage for the proper pieces. Outside of not liking dim headlights I'd probably leave it 6 volt and may still do so.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

15. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

Anybody know the OHM's for the resistor I need? 5?

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The ohms would be in the NAPA catalog, but you don't need them. You just ask for a resistor for some model of Chevy with your coil...just say '68 Nova 307. They have said resistor in two forms...a replacement resistor wire for the harness, as used on most chevies in the 60's, and a separate resistor that can be used instead. Resistors oft smoke on first use out of the box...they get hot, and whatever oil or coating the factory put on there goes away in a few minutes.

17. Sanford Graham

Sanford Graham

Howdy I have used many internal resistor Coils in converting from 6 volt too 12 volt, only one ever gave grief ( it was boxed up wrong) what I like is not having the extra wire's and a porcelan block having too be mounted, and the volt drop for gauge's for ford trucks works very well also,good advice........happy motorin

18. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

OK, cool. I thought it might not giving enough resistance, causing it to smoke.

19. mista

mista
    from Finland

What about the starter motor?

20. alchemy

alchemy

I've been using a stock 6 volt flathead starter on 12 volts for over a decade with no difficulty. Works fine.

mista likes this.
  21. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

You can use the stock 6v starter for your 12v set up. It won't hurt anything.

22. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Does anyone have a part number for this? I think it would work on 6 volt gauges in my '41 Ford Truck

If you are using stock gauges, use a "dash power regulator" for a 1965 to 1968 Ford. Fords up until the late 70's I think had 6-volt gauges, so they needed a kick-down. This one is easy and since it is designed by Ford, should be a good place to start. I have one on three diff cars.

23. OzyRodder

OzyRodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. snowroutes

snowroutes

Thanks for the jumpstart on my project I appreciate the research and work you did. Do you happen to have any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. 1rifleman

1rifleman

Hello Sportsfans -- I am looking for a kit, less the alternator, to convert a 52 Ford truck to 12 volts. Have any readers purchased a kit, if so, who made the kit and how was your end result? I know there are some that have used a magneto as opposed to the alternator - I would also like any first-hand experiences there as well. Thanks.

26. rusty valley

rusty valley

no such thing as a kit, you just need the parts listed at the start of this thread. i assume you ment to say "generator" , not magneto, but any way, alternator or generator , take your pick. ford went to 12 volts in 56, so any regulator 56 on will work in your existing wire harness, then a 56 &up generator case with 12 volt winding will bolt on to your front mounting plate, and you now have a 12 volt generator.