Register now to get rid of these ads!

Indroduction

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Sidny1952, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Sidny1952

Sidny1952

Hello all, i purchased my first classic about seven months ago, a 1952 Buick Special four door. I’ve been cruising old H.A.M.B. post since then trying to figure things out. This old old girl is totally original (with the exception of a few new bolts that I blame a cheap torque wrench on). My goal is to restore her. I have had a love for old Buick’s since I was a kid, and finally found one in good enough shape that my wife could see the potential.

I am not a mechanic, and have had to watch a lot of videos and read the shop manual many times to understand some things. So far I did mainly basic stuff like replace seals, rebuild carburetor (stromburg aauvb), replace lifters, fix headlight rheostat, replace distributor parts, plugs, wires, replace hood latch wires, and paint/clean engine parts (I couldn’t help myself) I am currently trying to get the radio working and after that the clock.

The BIG project I’ll be doing this summer is removing the rear end to replace the torque converter seal. Can’t wait to see how “easy” 68 year old bolts ‘break’ loose.

Thanks for letting me register,
    IMG_2039.JPG IMG_2039.JPG IMG_2039.JPG IMG_2039.JPG IMG_2039.JPG IMG_2039.JPG

IMG_2039.JPG IMG_2039.JPG IMG_2039.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31hotrodguy likes this.
  2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Nice car and welcome!

3. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. If you have problems with radio & clock and cannot fix yourself there are guys that advertise in all the antique car mags that do this. If bad comes to worse on the clock often you can junk out a wall clock and take out the battery operated motor and attach behind your original clock dial & use the hands off car clock on it. Likely have to change the battery every few years.
    you did not fill out your profile or say where you are located. There are likely some of us nearby and often have regular get togethers & such. Our local antique auto club has several things nearly every month of the year as ice and snow are super rare way down here. Any time you have problems just ask here. Also Google something like Vintage Buick Club as there are national groups for all brands of cars and they all have forums. Also the AACA - antique automobile club of America covers all makes and models. I mention these because it sounds you plan on restoring to original? jimmie

Big AL Neenyo likes this.
  4. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

ol-nobull is spot on correct, as usual. you failed to give us a clue as to where you are. The profile page is not required but comes in handy sometimes. There might be a HAMBER close by who has similar interests and if he sees the location he might be able to help in your endeavor. Never a street address of course! I've complained enough.
    Great intro, with pictures- you've scored there as we love pics.
    Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

5. Sidny1952

Sidny1952

Thanks for the advise. I have thought about doing just what you said on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Looks like your learning fast ...................................psssst..special interest.no classic..