Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Valve cover adapters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edward E Scheib, Mar 4, 2020.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Edward E Scheib

Edward E Scheib

Wanting to put newer valve covers on power pack heads. Seen adapters for sale to convert hole patterns.

2. squirrel

squirrel

The point of running early staggered bolt pattern power pack heads, is so you can run the early Corvette valve covers....

3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Run those early Vette valve covers or Cal Customs...or many other covers you can get for dirt cheap because most guys run later heads..

scotty t likes this.
  4. I put Offy no holes valve covers on my late 60"s heads.I made adapter plates from flat 3/16 X 3/4 " wide steel from the hardware store.I cut,and welded the pieces so I ended up with 2 rectangles that fit the top of the head.I drilled the hole pattern for the late covers,and counter sank them. Use counter sunk screw heads to fasten. I then drilled,and tapped the pattern for the early covers.Use thin gaskets between the head,and adapter,and between the adapter,and the cover.Paint it all the color of your engine.

Stude350guy likes this.

5. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Oh man, I use to throw those staggered covers away. Even Vette covers, because they were worthless.

6. bought a set of really nice adapters off e**y .. they were made to run early SBC covers . These are staggered early SBC Weiand covers I want to run on my 36.. Has a 60's 283 in it with Corvette covers now. WEIAND VC.jpg

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I am going out on a limb and have to believe that in this case he needs the latter issue valve covers because his intake has no provisions for an oil fill tube. Early valve covers requiring and intake with the fill tube to be able to put oil in the engine without pulling a valve cover to do it.
    Do what you gotta do Earl but as others said the cool factor of having the early power packs is that you get to run the early staggered pattern Corvette covers and the intake with the oil fill tube.

8. Edward E Scheib

Edward E Scheib

Dont want to run those. Do you have any experience with adapters?

9. Edward E Scheib

Edward E Scheib

I am running stock manifold now. Soon to change. Dont like look of staggered old school covers. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with adapters. Thanks

10. Adapter... hmm Twice as many places to leak me thinks/...

11. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I made a set of adapters to run staggered covers on straight across heads. With 2 sets of gaskets, I had some leakage. I then glued the adapters on the heads with silicone, let cure completely with light torque and installed the covers the next day and they were fine.

Gary

irishsteve and tb33anda3rd like this.
  12. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

I have had good results running them, got a set on vortec heads to change from center hole valve covers to 327 covers. with thick valve cover gaskets there is also enough room for stud girdles ;) 11-23-19.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I've run them the way they were intended. I glued one set of gaskets to the covers, the other to the heads. No leaks. No reason that it won't work in reverse.
    You do have to vent the crankcase. I used the oil fill tube and the road draft tube. Have also used the fuel pump cover (electric pump) for a oil fill hole.

irishsteve and Tickety Boo like this.
  14. missysdad1

missysdad1

I've run adapters for several years on my hot rod, early staggered hole Corvette covers on Vortec heads. They work fine and are really convincing. I only ever had one guy notice that the motor isn't an early one. Mine had breathers in both valve covers with the PCV valve in the oil fill hole in the intake manifold which also served as an oil fill. Worked great.
    Coupester make-over 46.jpg

15. I run them to use the old valve covers but they would work fine the other way around. one benefit is you won't need a tall valve cover to clear rollers.

irishsteve likes this.