Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Starter Solenoid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard Reed, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

Moving on to my next move. Does the Ford style starter solenoid need to be grounded? I was going to mount it on the wood toe board in this AV8 roadster. Just trying to keep things neat in the engine compartment. Thanks.

2. 24riverview

24riverview

Depends on which "Ford style" relay you're using, the normal one off of a 60's-70's car or truck does need to be grounded.

3. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

I am using a round cylindrical style with high voltage studs on either side and the small "S" and "I" studs in front.

4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

That particular solenoid will need to be grounded to function.
    The S terminal is the hot wire that comes from the ignition switch for starting. The I terminal goes to the positive terminal on the ignition coil to give an extra boost of battery voltage when the starter is engaged.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    town sedan and LOU WELLS like this.

5. Richard Reed

Richard Reed
    from Maine

Thank you guys for the help. Starting to rewire, plumb the fuel system and finish the interior. When done I will change my avatar. I have completely changed the roadster that you see pictured to an AV8.

town sedan and RICH B like this.