Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1947-1953 chevy panel vin title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad Hall, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Brad Hall

Brad Hall

I'm looking at a 1949 chevy 3100 panel truck and the title just states 3100 pickup. Is the title different on panels or the same as a pickup is my question.

2. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Is the title number the serial number on the door jamb or the engine number? There is no number on the frames in the AD trucks.

3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I have a '54 1st series 3100, and in Colorado, my title shows the VIN number on it, which is the same as
    the information on the door plate. Bob

4. squirrel

squirrel

It depends on the state you live in. The vehicle serial number does not indicate if it's a pickup, panel, or suburban. Some states (Arizona for example) will show the body style on the title.

I would not worry about it..

1oldtimer likes this.

5. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Here in Wisconsin it is usually Truck or Auto. In the early 90's I bought a 51 pickup from the original owner and the title had the engine number for I D . Thankfully the DMV was easy to get along with back then and the reassigned the title to me with the serial number. Made it easier when I replaced the 6 with a V8. Check with your dmv to be sure. Larry

6. That's the answer, Ca. also shows body type.....my '56 is a "HSCR" Housecar I think.

7. Brad Hall

Brad Hall

I live in Arkansas where they were off the motor origionally in those years. The title matches the door jam number but I was just worried about the classification as panel truck or suburban

8. leon bee

leon bee

This is a pretty easy state, that would not worry me if I wanted to buy the truck.

9. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

3100 just indicates 1/2 ton, 6 lugs

is it a 1/2 ton?

more important is the the vin # on the title can be verified by an inspector if you purchase the panel and try to title and register.

stovebolt.com has a forum with a dedicated section for panels/subs

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is the Serial number correct for a panel or burb?
    Checking my usual sources I am not finding anything that says that a 3100 burb or panel is listed as anything except a 3100
    http://www.sanjosechevys.org/Tech/tech_decode_47_55chevtrucks.htm

https://www.chevytrucks.org/advance-design-vin-decoder/

If the number matches the title and the plate looks like it has never been disturbed life is good.
    You may be able to have the license office correct that to read 3100 panel or burb which ever it is when you change the title. If it just says 3100 truck you shouldn't have any issues though.

11. oldskool.

oldskool.
    from florida

In Florida those years were titled by the engine number not the plate. There was no distinction between a panel, burb or pickup. I have a clean title for a 50 panel I junked 45 years ago if needed,

12. oldolds

oldolds

I know in Pennsylvania they are usually titled as trucks. A Suburban can have the title changed to a station wagon if it has seats and windows. PA has also done away with a lot of terms for body styles. Old titles may have terms like rdst (roadster) and Touring. Both are just Conv. now. Coach (2 door sedan). Just to name a few.