Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Registering an old truck in Texas with YOM "Farm Truck" plates?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gigem, Dec 29, 2019.

1. gigem

gigem

I am about to register an OT but still old truck here in Texas as an Antique, and I want to use Year of Manufacture plates instead of getting new plates.

I've found a good pair of plates from the right year, but they are for a 'FARM TRUCK", instead of just a plain old "TRUCK". I am wondering if the county tax office is going to let them slide.

Anyone tried this before? Texas has different rules for farm trucks. You have to provide evidence of having an agricultural exemption to do this with a new vehicle. Basically, you have to be a farmer or rancher, or at least own farm or ranch land... I don't....

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Farm truck plates originally had several restrictions on them. If that hold true with YOM plates I don't know. You would probably just be best off to go into the main dmv office in Austin with the plates in hand and ask. They may just see them as YOM plates with YOM plate restrictions.
    The current regs for new farm plates are here. http://www.dps.texas.gov/cve/farm.htm
    Not a big deal if you stay local but could be a big deal if you get caught 100+ miles from home towing your fifth wheel rv or car hauler with a late model farm truck. Every state has different restrictions on those.

3. Yep.....bought nos "farm truck" plates some 40 years or so back.....not thinking.....you have to be a farmer.....good luck with yours - I will be hanging mine on the wall...........

4. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The last time I read the YOM plate rules, farm and commercial pkates were not allowed. Ygere have been changes to the laws in the last couple of years. I wouldn't sink a lot of money into the plates until you have a clear response from your tax office.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. gigem

gigem

Got this registered last week. Farm truck plates were not allowed. I also had a set of replacement plates that were not allowed. Did get a set of truck plates I got off Ebay approved....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

6. clem

clem

Thanks for coming back to let everyone know how you got on.