Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Autorama Virgin, What to expect and weather forecast

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Feb 26, 2020.

1. .......Are they driving, Jason? Where are they from?

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  2. Yup, they are driving from Charlotte NC, left in the middle of the night last night, so they can be there on Friday.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. .....Very cool. Hope they have a safe trip. Did they estimate the number of miles and/or time of trip?

4. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

The one thing I’ll add,
    Get there as early as you can.
    I chaperone a high school group on Friday and we get in an hour before the show opens.

By 3:00 it’s pretty crowded

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. .......Thanks. We hope to be there when the doors open Saturday morning.

6. I think its like 12 hours. Ill tag along with them sometime, Ive never been before.

7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I’m not attending this year Don so I’m hoping you share your photos after you get back home and recover from the trip. ;)Enjoy! :D

8. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Going tonight after work. Setup is my favorite. Hanging out with my buds. Then the wife and I are going tomorrow.

9. ........Same here, Jason. I've been wanting to get there since I was about 11 years old reading about the Alexander Brothers and the Ridler Award and the Autorama in all of the Car Craft, Rod &Custom and Hot Rod magazines........Don.:)

10. Wednesday morning, waiting for cars to arrive;

cobo 2020.jpg
    Photo by Motor State street Rods

11. What's the weather look like for Saturday?.........Thanks, Don.

12. If you have a chance and want to have a great meal try the Vinsetta Garage. It's about 8 - 10 miles north on Woodward Ave in Royal Oak and has a real "gearhead" ambience.

http://www.vinsettagarage.com/
    ;)

13. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Friday : 25 / 18 17 mph wind

Sat : 32 / 20 11 mph wind

Sun : 43 / 40 12 mph wind

Doesn't look like rain / snow will be a problem.

I'm not sure what is being said about windchills, but with the wind it has been cold enough in Dearborn to freeze the balls off a pool table for the last two days.

Keep in mind that with the buildings, there can be something of a windtunnel effect in the downtown area. Dress appropriately

14. Crocodile

Crocodile

A buddy who I "met" through the HAMB will have his rolling chassis on display. I guess one of the organizers saw it and invited him. Pretty cool! From the pics it is amazing! If you see a beautiful duece chassis with an Olds rocket and a genuine Dago axle, and the owner is around, tell Mark that he needs to quit lurking! Lol

15. derbydad276

derbydad276

did you say Virgin...????
    Cool... we need one for the Sacrifice to the Car Gods !

lothiandon1940 and 40ragtopdown like this.
  16. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

We go most years and live in the area. The weather has been a little cooler lately with temperatures on the rise going into the weekend. Sunday will be much warmer. Yesterday and today the winds have been gusting with previous snow still being blown around. All the roads will be clear.
    If you have never attended before, be prepared for a lot of walking. There is a lot of area to cover on two floors. There is not hardly any seating where you can stop, sit and rest either, unless you go to the food vendor area and get one of those $8.00 hot dogs.LOL
    I usually spend at least four hours to get through the entire exhibit and even longer when I stop to talk with friends with cars on display. It is by far the best indoor exhibit I have ever attended.
    See you there!

17. ...............Thanks a bunch for the update.......Don.

18. millersgarage

millersgarage

19. Thanks for posting that, millersgarage. Now, I have to go to Detroit. Can't this weekend, but this Spring for a tour.

millersgarage and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Fun, but quick trip. Friday evening Baltimore to Detroit, 1 1/2 hour flight, walked over 7 miles Saturday! Flew back Sunday morning 1 hour 15 minutes. A few that intrigued me......... 20200229_094823.jpg 20200229_094853.jpg 20200229_094836.jpg

21. Excellent dinner Saturday afternoon at The Monroe Street Steakhouse in Greektown. Not inexpensive for sure, but hey, treat yourself good now and then. Filet Mignon was perfect, two glasses of Cabernet were right on time. Garlic mashed potatoes were excellent. Glazed carrots were a treat. FB_IMG_1583014186297.jpg Would definitely return there. Have to save up for it though!

22. ......Just a pauper trying to live like a king.:(

23. jim snow

jim snow

Thanks for the photos Don. That yellow roadster is the tits. See you at Jalopyrama. Snowman