Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Intimidating Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Jan 10, 2020.

1. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

2. bchctybob

bchctybob

Sorry, it was just an observation. Didn’t mean to upset anyone. I like the car, I’d be glad to have it in my garage. Ain’t going to get much bigger than 8.20 in bias plies, no radials. I drove a chopped 33 5w as a dd for several years after high school in L.A. traffic. Don’t remember what I had for mirrors.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

thunderbirdesq likes this.
  3. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I seen this too.I think it was 109k when I seen it

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  4. Fancy a spot of tea?

Ned Ludd and loudbang like this.
  5. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

6. I was a street racer in my youth. Had an 11 second Mustang. Used to see this Cutlass all the time. Cowl hood, jacked up in the rear, big tires. Sounded really nasty. Used to kinda dread catching him at a light. Finally did one night and walked his ass. Turns out it was a 14 second car. To me, the sleepers are the most intimidating, not the shit that begs for attention.

Just Gary, Gammz and loudbang like this.
  7. -Brent-

-Brent-

The only thing this is begging for attention from - is the driver. :D

Intimidation in the Other Lane.jpg

8. Same with this beast. Mike-Finnegan-in-Blasphemi-at-Hot-Rod-Drag-Week-2019-Photo-by-John-Schultz-678x381.jpg

9. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

"Believe me, time stops for moments,
    and this is one of those." - (from a poem by me)

That was the color of my first car. ( After Springtime Yellow and before Cinnamon Bronze.)

loudbang likes this.
  10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I always thought this photo had an air of intimidation!
    mid-atlantic-pages-2-op-the-rodders-journal.jpg

2afbs, Jalopy Joker, alfin32 and 6 others like this.
  12. Some hot-rods appear rather sedate until they are fired up. Then they become very intimidating!:eek:

loudbang, mad mikey and -Brent- like this.
  13. I think they call those............"Sleepers".:D;)

14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

That's not a reflection of the engine in the firewall. That's the other engine :eek:

15. mickeyc

mickeyc

I saw that green coupe in California a few years ago.
    I really got a kick out of the roof lettering which
    states, " Is there a problem officer?" I could just imagine a cop walking up to that greeting during a traffic stop! My son liked it as well. He is a cop.

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

17. Johnny99

Johnny99

Once again I was fortunate enough to see this car run at a Seattle nostalgia race in the 80's with Gerry Steiner smoking the hydes full track . I may be paraphrasing a bit here but word is after Larry Faust became the driver during its racing days the car started running faster. Gene Moonyeham was asked what had been done to the car make it go faster, his answer " Nuthin, finally found a driver who's not scared of the son of bitch!" Cajones, you bet!

coupe33, Just Gary, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

19. loudbang

loudbang

20. j hansen

j hansen

My pics from Sweden,we are not so intimidating over here. Skärmavbild 2020-02-24 kl. 17.05.59.png Skärmavbild 2020-02-24 kl. 17.07.54.png Skärmavbild 2020-02-24 kl. 17.05.05.png Skärmavbild 2020-02-24 kl. 17.09.14.png

1947knuck, 2afbs, alfin32 and 8 others like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-2-25_5-31-2.png

Hey D,

Back in OCTOBER, I did a drawing for our granddaughter for Halloween. She gets a kick at the odd ball things I send her way. It was no ordinary, store bought, Halloween card. She knows I do all sorts of drawings and flames. She chuckles at the thought..
    upload_2020-2-25_5-32-37.png
    It was an odd drawing, but stayed in the orange/black theme. My wife said, “That looks weird, but I wouldn’t want to see it on Halloween night coming down the street.” (even with the 8 pipes running underneath the car.)

So, in December, I was in the “Red” hot rod mode and drew this 33-34 coupe as “intimidating” as possible. The huge tires I got the idea from your roadster, the coupe came from my friend’s old 1934, but this time chopped and fender-less. I also added a little more power to make it go twice as fast in the quarter mile.
    upload_2020-2-25_5-35-23.png

Jnaki
    It must have worked, this time, my wife said, “It is a cool looking hot rod.” Plus points for her… and no, it was not a Christmas card…

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-13-art-show-12-13-19.1177113/#post-13361349

alfin32 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  22. shortypu

shortypu

Hollands FE powered model a DSPHZFcUMAIj8bk.jpg

23. loudbang

loudbang

24. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

25. -Brent-

-Brent-

f10054, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  27. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In the early 1958 era, the 59 and into the 60’s, there were some hot cars at Lions Dragstrip in So Cal. One of them ventured to OKC for the 1958 National Championships and came home with a trophy for his efforts. Junior Thompson ran his 1941 black Studebaker consistently enough to win back then and once back on the West Coast, was a winning fixture on the drag race scene.

When my brother and I went into the pits every Saturday, we gravitated to the Junior Thompson pit area. We could always pick up something in the conversations or see what they were doing or changing. In the early days, it was the firing up of the motor in the pits that made most stand back in awe. It was the whine of the Paxton/McCulloch Centrifugal supercharger adding to the power. The Paxton/ McCullogh superchargers were showing up on factory Fords and Studebakers and were available for most model v8 motors.

Consistency in what happens weekly at the dragstrip is usually the way trophies are won. The film was taken in the spring/summer of 1959. As consistently as he drove the 41 Studebaker, it was easy to adapt the original soundtrack from Sept 1959 to the Spring/Summer film that I took at Lions Dragstrip. (including the shift sequence and the automatic power raising of the front end.)
    JR. THOMPSON 41 STUDEBAKER SOUND

Jnaki
    upload_2020-3-3_3-50-56.png 1958 Lions Dragstrip …No, the race did not happen.

When we were racing the 58 Impala at Lions, Jr. Thompson’s Studebaker was usually there. He won a lot of B/Gas races, even the old 4 across races, too. Some Saturdays, there were so many cars in one class that during eliminations, 4 cars took up the whole dragstrip for their races. The 4 across was usually in C/Gas and/or B/Gas.

Intimidating is what would be a great description of this B/Gas supercharged hot rod.
    upload_2020-3-3_3-52-56.png

START
    upload_2020-3-3_3-53-49.png

upload_2020-3-3_3-54-43.png
    SHIFT
    upload_2020-3-3_3-54-57.png

Add consistency to the acceleration and driving. I have another sound clip of Jr. Thompson in this same 1941 supercharged Studebaker sedan at another drag strip and the shift points are right on the money.

28. One of the hot rods that had a huge and I mean huge influence on me was the Dawsons Demon. This car was a flamed primer black 32 ford coupe that ran a blown nitro 392 hemi. Tragically after several years of racing it had a terrible engine explosion. The car was burned bad. Rumor has it the car still exists and will return to the track someday . There is a you tube video of the incident. Search dawson's demon then demise of the demon. The car had it all. I saw it run many times. It's why I have a nitro powered street car today. The demon lives on.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020