Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Autorama Virgin, What to expect and weather forecast

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Feb 26, 2020.

1. My first time to the Autorama this coming week-end. What can I expect and what does the weather forecast for Detroit look like this week-end? Thanks........Don:)

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

If you have time get to the Ford museum. Of all the transportation places I have been that was really the top of my list as most memorable. Incredible collection!

tractorguy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

I would like to get there too, but trouble is we don't have a car and the Ford museum is out in Dearborn.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Isn't it like 10 miles away? Uber seems like it would be well worth the cost.

5. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

I use the ACCUWEATHER app. It is showing 30 degree highs and 20 lows over night little or no sunshine till Sunday , no precipitation . Which sounds right as I am near Chicago and that what we have been getting here.

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're gonna love it, Don.
    Lots of hot rods and customs, lots of people but plenty of room. Upstairs and downstairs. The basement has most of the kind of stuff we like. Saturday is probably the busiest. Sunday is maybe a little more laid back with fewer people.

There's a parking structure there, right near Cobo Hall. But there are usually some parking spots available on the first couple of nearby streets north and east of Cobo Hall.

At some point you're going to want to eat. But $5 pretzels? Just get your hand stamped and walk straight out the front door and east down Jefferson a street or two, then north a bit, then East on Lafayette Street... to the Lafayette Coney Island. Good food and a busy downtown feel to it. If he's still there, one of the cooks whistles like a bird really good LOL. If any of us hook up we can walk up there together.

Oh...
    Sun will be shining all weekend.
    High 20s low 30s Friday and Saturday.
    About 40 on Sunday.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

I really don't see what the Ford museum has to do with the Detroit Autorama. The questions asked were about the Autorama and the expected weather forecast for Detroit.

The weekend weather forecast for the Detroit area is mainly sunny this coming weekend with temperatures right around the freezing point. Should be good for travel.

I have been going to the Detroit Autorama probably for the last 25 years or so. One of the best Custom Car and Hot Rod Shows in America, if not the best of them all. Saturday and Sunday have big crowds and it is difficult to shoulder your way through the mass of people to see the cars or to even shoot a picture. If you can get to the show on Friday, the show opens at noon and you will have a much better chance to see the cars and displays. There are not nearly as many people at the show on Friday afternoon. The main floor level has all the current show cars but the basement is where all the fun is. Mainly all hot rods of all sizes and descriptions. A lot of the guys here on the HAMB have thier hot rods entered and are in the basement.

There is an escalator going down to the basement and there is a sign directing you there but you can easily miss it. If you can't find the escalator just ask someone. To see all of the show is a long walk and comfortable footwear is a must. Remember you are walking on cement floors. Keep hydrated as well. There are cafeteria style sitting areas at the show where you can stop and rest and refresh yourself at the same time. $21. admission and remember have fun while you are there.

8. Thanks guys for all of the good advice.

9. One member in our group of four is an attendee veteran so we're kinda following his lead on everything.

10. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Don, when do you arrive?

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Some people said they couldn't find basement. To find the basement escalator, as you come in the show spectator entrance, turn left and go all the way down the aisle to the far wall and escalator will be on your left.

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We like the basement, but there's plenty of awesome stuff upstairs, too. There'll be some beautiful high-end cars near the entrance, contending for the Ridler Award.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Wear matching neon colored jackets/hats and stay away from hookers with deep voices. ;)

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

You'll be very glad you attended.. Was there the 49th and 50th year...

Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. ............Late Friday evening. It's going to be a whistle-stop tour, Saturday at Cobo, flying back to Baltimore Sunday morning. Tough on an old guy.

16. Don, hope you and your group have a great time & take pics. May the gods of speed grant you safe passage.
    Glad @wraymen didn't say to stay away from ALL the hookers!

Dino 64, wraymen and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. ..........I always appreciate such good advice from my elders.:D;)

18. So...spend the day at the show..walk out the door and plenty of places to eat..you can hop on the people mover and go to Greek town if ya want..Downtown is pretty hopping

19. Apparently there is a steak house nearby that the veteran attendee wants to go to in the afternoon Saturday. Don't know the name of it. Does it sound familiar to anyone? If so, is it good?

lothianwilly71, Dino 64 and jim snow like this.
  20. That's the 1st one I thought of too.

21. andy dewitt

andy dewitt

Was there today to help Ionia Hot Shop move in 32 RPU there is large banner for the downstairs in back corner at escalator . Can't miss it hanging from the ceiling

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. jim snow

jim snow

Have fun Don. Safe travels too. Snowman

23. ^Ditto, Have a good time Don and take some pictures.

24. .....................Thanks, guys.

lothianwilly71 and Dino 64 like this.
  25. millersgarage

millersgarage

don't bother with side trips on this short of a trip, you will spend all day Saturday at the show, and still miss stuff.

Even the worst of Michigan weather isn't as bad downtown Detroit. Flying in? that may cause concern/delays.

Plenty of walking distance places to eat, or a short People Mover ride (75 cents) to Greektown for some awesome grub, and of course at stop at Astoria's after.

26. ..........Thanks for the good advice. What is Astoria's?

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  27. catdad49

catdad49

Have Fun, Don. Share your experience it you can.

Dino 64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. My buddy Del is on his way there with one of his Club brothers. Be on the look out for a guy in his Iron Lords Coat and tell him Jason says high.

29. .............I'll keep my eyes open for him.:)

lothianwilly71 likes this.