Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Holley Carburetor question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boneyard51, Feb 25, 2020.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

As far as the older holleys I've swapped secondary and primary blocks around from carb to carb as long as they were the same family. My brother use to have a big huge holley white book for every application and part. It was thick as a phone book. Have not seen it in years. Lippy

loudbang, Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Boneyard, I doubt the information you seek is out there. Like Jim said, internal Holley stuff. They probably didn't think it was relevant to us! Lippy

3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Holley parts and what Ford cares to share sometimes are not the same info . I run a 4180 , from a Mustang and with a secondary block from a 3310-1 . This is the most responsive Holley carb I have ever owned . It has annular discharge ventures . Bones you should try to get a carb with annular charge ventures for your center carb . Words can not explain the difference , in the response this carb has .

loudbang, Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Dave, I’m not against changing a few parts, here and there for better performance, but me being me, I gots to know why ! Lol The info is out there! One thing I learned in my life time is everything is done for a reason, at least when it comes to car parts. Every knob, every hole, every machined surface has a reason for being there! No manufacturer ever said” let’s drill a hole here ..... for no reason”! So, Holley numbered their metering blocks for a reason! Because they are different..... all of them......somehow! Somewhere somebody knows this ! And I’m going to find him! I don’t care if it takes.............ah.... a couple of days or so!

Bones

bchctybob, ClayMart, egads and 2 others like this.
  5. Since no metering plate numbers were ever given I'm not sure if this will help or not, would be nice to know what you're looking for.
    20200227_013429.jpg

6. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Well , I started just looking for a set of metering plates for my 3x2 set up! But now I want to know what the numbers mean on the Holley metering plates!

Those are jets for the back of later four barrels. Not really the metering plates I’m talking about.

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  7. That photo I posted shows the differences between the listed part stamped numbers

loudbang likes this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yeah , I know, but I started this wondering about the metering plates in two barrel carbs.

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  9. Fordors

Fordors

Secondary metering plates are not primary metering blocks. The plates you show are used instead of secondary metering blocks on 4160 Holleys.

egads likes this.
  10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Here’s what I’m talking about. 9B77687E-34A7-43C5-A4AE-7BE98E26D6C5.jpeg 8EA92D43-37F9-4AB5-AE40-0BE4F3D3A8A4.jpeg

I know where swade got that, I used “ plates” instead of “ blocks” ! I’m looking metering “ blocks”! Sorry for the confusion.

Bones

loudbang likes this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

I plan on modifying a #4779 carb for those.... ;)

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  12. Swade41

What book offered the info on the metering plates that you kindly posted up ?

While not what Boneyard was looking for , its information that I"ve not seen anywhere else before.

Good stuff !

Oldmics

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    swade41, Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Metering plates are not traditional. LOL. Lippy

Boneyard51, Deuces and deathrowdave like this.
  14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I think the only reason there is a chart for the plates, unlike metering blocks, is because you can't change jets in them cause there's no jets !!!!!!. :D Lippy

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Boneyard, I hope you find the info you seek, I am pulling for you. Lippy

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

sept1012.jpg sept1005.jpg
    You can buy aftermarket metering plates with jets installed.... Those use high speed air bleeds....

Correction... You have to install your own jets.....:rolleyes::oops:

Here's a couple of pictures of hat they look like....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Old wolf, Gasser 57 and saltflats like this.
  17. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If you look at the pics Deuces posted you can see that the plate replaces the metering block on that carburetor. Then look at Swade ‘s post and you can see all the different plates and what the differences are. This is the chart I’m looking for for metering blocks, even thought those blocks have changeable jets. There are differences in them. I’m going to be trying to make a three deuce set up run and run right, and at this time I do not have the correct metering blocks. So , I have no problem using another number, as long as it will work. But it you look at swade’s chart, you will see a lot of differences in different numbers! Also look at Holleys numbering system..... or lack of system to be more accurate. While the chart is progressive in size, the actual numbers are all over the place!

The search continues.......

Bones

Deuces likes this.
  18. Boneyard

Do you know what the numbers would be on the correct metering blocks for your carbs?

I did a little digging and came up with a center carb metering block number of 3559 and the other two stamped as 3563.

Referenced from the link below

http://www.oocities.org/tpls63/trips/tripower.html

Oldmics

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I think those are numbers for the T-bird 3x2s. I have one T-bird out side carb metering block. Don’t have the number, I’m not where it is right now. I’m sure it’s close enough to use with my carbs. Don’t know why T-bird and Ford were different! Basically same engine. But for some reason Holley changed something because it’s a T-bird. That is why I would like to find a chart listing the specs on metering block, by number. The outside metering blocks on a Galaxie are numbered 3434, these are the ones I would like to have. Not sure on center carb, as I don’t have one yet.

Bones

20. Jon"s website has the LIST numbers for all of the carbs you would be interested in

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Kford.htm

Go thru the list as per year and your desired application. It will get you to the LIST numbers but still does you no good on the metering block numbers.

If you would post up what carbs you are planning to use , I could at least see what metering blocks should be with that specific carb.

It still wont help in your overall quest but at least you know whats out there.

The T Bird difference could be because T Birds always run hot. The different blocks may be a leaner mixture to compensate for tempeture differences

Oldmics

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Deuces likes this.
  22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That’s the most complete list I’ve seen so far. My carbs are 2437(2) and one 2436( don’t have).
    These are for 1962/2/3 390/406 engines. The T- birds had different numder carbs, for some reason.
    But with most list I ran across on this venture, they don’t really tell you much. I have another list in my Holley book that tells quite a bit more, but it skips a lot of carbs, including the two I need! Just my luck! Lol

I would like to know the difference between the Fords and T-bird carbs! I know the T-bird manifold is milled flat instead of angled, because the engine sits at a different angle. But it looks like the carbs could have been the same!?

Bones

23. carbking

carbking

I have spent more time on this than I should have, but you guys piqued my curiosity.

OK, a PARTIAL chart does exist!

It may be found in the book "Ford Carburetor Guide" by Jon Enyeart of Pony Carburetors, and was printed in 1993. It is copyrighted, so I will not photocopy the chart.

I went through the chart enough to see that Jon went through the Holley MPL, and listed metering blocks OF THE LATEST PRODUCTION! So if the metering block changed during re-issues, the earlier block numbers are not listed. This is a monumental task. I know, as I have done a lot of this for Carters.

To get all the numbers, someone more interested in this project than I, will need to acquire one of the Holley MPL with ALL of the updates (mine is about 9 inches thick), and go through it page by page!!!

As I had guessed earlier, the stamped number on the metering block is the Holley part number (sans code) for the metering block.

So in the case of Bones inquiry:
    List 2436 - metering block part number 34R-3440, stamped number 3440
    List 2437 - metering block part number 34R-3434, stamped number 3434

The 34R is the Holley code for certain castings, just like 18R meant fuel valve, and 8R meant gasket.

As to the specification for each block: as far as I am aware, these will be found ONLY on the Holley prints. While I do have many of the 4000 prints, I have little interest in the end-bowl Holleys, so have acquired none of the prints, nor do I know of a source for these.

Maybe one of the Holley gurus can add to this information.

Jon.

Boneyard51 and Oldmics like this.
  24. This is the book I have, I guess I was trying to convey that each number had a different size idle hole and main hole the same thing to a point on a metering block, sometimes those numbers even match between plate and block, but the time to actually look at those numbers and sizes were lost in the haste to post I was posting the wrong thing.

20200227_155430.jpg

These are indeed for plates not blocks as Bones suggested, I use them in the rear of my 4160 style 450's for adjustablity instead of swapping out plates to get a bigger main hole, just wanted to clear that up.

8410.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  25. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

I have never seen the info you are looking for printed. I have this Holley identification guide, it will tell you what blocks go with what carbs. Not just Ford carbs either, Chevy and Chrysler too book.jpg print.jpg print.jpg

Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.
  26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

On the T-Bird vs full-size carb difference, I have never seen a 3x2 T-Bird with a manual trans, nor have I seen a 3x2 Galaxie with an original automatic. I have been wrong before, though.

27. Check the link Oldmics posted above . . .

http://www.oocities.org/tpls63/trips/tripower.html

It's an old funky looking site but scroll down about a third of the way on the left side and it explains the differences between the T-Bird and Galaxie 3x2 setup. One big difference is that the T-Birds had the carbs mounted level to the top of the engine while the Galaxies were stepped progressively higher from front to rear.

Deuces and Boneyard51 like this.
  28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Being that these carbs were built to Ford specs , the build info would be property of FoMoCo and protected as such . There wouldn't be any reason for service people to have/need the info so it may never have been accessible anywhere other than in Ford internal documents .. I bought some Holley's from a salvage yard and some were off International trucks and I never could find the List number anywhere in Holley's literature...

Deuces likes this.
  29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Yes, I understand that the T- bird 3x2s were at a different angle, but so was the engnie! So when all way tolded, the level was the same! But different numbers! Maybe it was just Ford!! They were kinda that way back then!!!....

Bones