Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Joe's American Graffiti Coupe with a Man A Fre (Milner Coupe Clone)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Awesome! Thank you so much. I should begin work on the system tomorrow.
    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. Please wish us luck! Today this blonde bimbo is showing us her jets!

(No offense to all the bimbos out there.) IMG_20200211_195121.jpeg tapatalk_1569608475072.jpeg

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  3. rudestude

rudestude

Best of luck and have fun.....
    As for the bimbo...the blond one? If your talking about the one sitting there teasing that screw driver with her mouth....apparently the carpet doesn't match the drapes and you have a different photo of her?
    Because them drapes don't look blonde to me...even for a BW photo...lol.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and Nicholas Coe like this.
  4. Why thank you! All well wishes appreciated. No, it's the top one. The other is a nice little shot of some different intake work! Hahahahaha....

5. loudbang

loudbang

6. loudbang likes this.
  7. Well, 2 of the header pipes were cool to the touch and that corresponding plug was wet with gas. Looks like we are in for a compression test tomorrow morning. Hopefully it shares good news.

When we sprayed ether around the carbs and the intake we saw no change in idle. It even seemed to bog down with sprays.

Feeling sad today, but thankful for my friends who are helping me.

Nick

8. alchemy

alchemy

83% of all carburetor problems are the ignition. Wet plugs not firing?

Tman, brigrat and Nicholas Coe like this.
  9. Yes. Ladies and Gentlemen we have compression! It was showing 210 in the cylinders! Now for disassembly....
    IMG_20200227_101116.jpeg

10. Guess what we found? A points distributor!
    Would a lack of fire lead to drop in vaccum?

IMG_20200227_102801.jpeg

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

BF551159-89E1-421D-9D94-EC82353FFA57.jpeg there is nothing wrong with points distributors. My man a fre equipped corvette has one and it works just fine

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

do you have another car that runs a 2bll that you can try your carbs on individually? I did that when I put a 4x2 setup on the caddy engine in my 40 ford. granted the jetting wont be right but at least you will be able to see if one is flooding or starving by trying them by themselves

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

What sparkplugs are in it? Lippy

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  14. No unfortunately I don't. I wish.

15. Auto-lite 303s. We just replaced them today. We checked that we didn't have spark plug failure.

16. catdad49 and dana barlow like this.
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Pics of the intake and head ports on the offending cylinder ??
    And please tape the intake ports closed !

18. Tape intake ports closed? What witchcraft is this? Here's the offending passenger side.... IMG_20200227_114716.jpeg IMG_20200227_115714.jpeg

19. TCTND

TCTND

Well, call me old and cranky, but I don't think you'll find anything there because I still think you are dealing with a carb adjustment problem. The clearly visible balance passages will insure that vacuum in the ports is essentially the same even if there is a leak somewhere. If the flow through two carbs is less than the others those two must not be open as much (or have paper towels stuffed in them). Mike VV's setup tutorial makes perfect sense and should be the starting point. Don't mean to rant, but I think you're going down a rabbit hole.
    regards,
    Phil

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hard to tell from the pictures, I would use a softer gasket than those felpro blue.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Those embossed Fel-Pro gaskets don't seal right in the middle corners is one thing I see. Look at v-shape on gasket then look at missing contact on intake. But still isn't enough for that much vacuum loss. Smoke issue maybe?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Nicholas Coe likes this.
  22. I see the #5 and 7 intake gasket separating. Blow by on the intake manifold # 5 #7 port. # 3 port in the head appears to have been welded?

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  23. I agree. We're just starting fresh with the entire intake and carbs. We'll set up just as Mike stated.

24. Yes. It's the front passenger carb that is dead. Our thoughts exactly. We noticed a ton of sealant blobs and a intake with no exhaust crossover but exhaust ports pushing on it.

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Looking again #2 and #4 runners in head are wet and intake @ 2 and 4 shows no contact along lower edge.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  26. Hardrider77

Hardrider77

I know this is weird but I went through issues with a SBC years ago with passenger side vacuum leak at manifold. Drove me nuts. Finally discovered that the manifold was touching the canister at the back of the lifter galley and not showing it to come all the way down. If course it was just a few thousandths of interference but it was enough. Just had to bring the manifold slightly where it contacted that canister. Then all was good.

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Johnny Gee, brigrat and Nicholas Coe like this.
  27. Sounds right. I'll check it out!

28. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

At some point clean intake and block surfaces and mock up intake without gaskets to see if it's hitting the ventilator canister. They make diff. length canisters BUT looks like you already have the short one. Also take a good look at clearance between mating surfaces, intake should not bottom out on the ends of block leaving a gap at intake gasket sides. If still having problems swap a known good carb from one side to the other to rule in or out the carbs. Are those rubber or cork end gaskets on the block? Nobody I know of uses them anymore...……………………….

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Nicholas Coe likes this.