Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Wooden Dreams: Playforever Toys.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Wooden Dreams: Playforever Toys.

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Curt Six

Curt Six

Those things are beautiful. And at around $35-$40 for some of the less expensive ones, definitely worth the investment. I bought several of the Automoblox cars when my son was little and he loved them (and we still have them). I liked that they included a few hot rod designs among their other more modern or even futuristic models. I just wish they came up with a bias-ply like the Playforever cars have! Screen Shot 2020-02-25 at 11.06.47 AM.png

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

4. Pinewood Derby car from 1983. Looked good...wasn't fast pinewoodcar.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and Just Gary like this.

5. Love 'em! Candylab Toys also have a range of really cool wooden cars.

Penicillin2_rear2.jpg woodie_L2.jpg

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Those UK-based Playforever Toys are the epitome of cool toys. Sometimes, those toys are just for collectors and not for everyday use. Some of the well made classic toys are long lasting and the cost justifies the purchases. When we bought a set of plastic cars for our son, those were the ones we could afford. Then my mom and dad bought us a wooden train set called Brio.

The Brio sets were made of quality wood and starting with the small original set, we eventually expanded to include cars, trucks, and a huge table top version. It was one solid design that should last for generations. It has lasted and is stored in the “stuff” from those young kid days.

It did last for at least one generation with our granddaughter, but for some reason, she also caught the Lego bug that our son had. Then the wooden train set and accessories disappeared and the Legos took over. My wife and I also saw the Automoblox that we wanted to get our toddler son, but they were way out of our league. Now, there is even a hot rod in those designs.
    upload_2020-2-28_7-15-19.png
    If hot rod/drag guys/girls want to make eyebrows go up, one could modify #8 John Player Special Copy and cut that air scoop off to make a rear engine dragster. The collectors would have a field day with that modification, but at least there would be a hot rod/drag race car to roll down the smooth wooden floors. But at what cost? Wow, those wooden toys are a little over the top in cost. Yes, they will last forever and so on…
    upload_2020-2-28_7-15-37.png upload_2020-2-28_7-15-50.png
    Over the years, small wooden hot rods began to show up in ornaments, wooden toy sets and do it yourself kits that were fun to modify. At the low cost for those wooden toys, even the little hands did some wild painting…

Jnaki

At least, the Automoblox is able to be modified and the cost for a hot rod, these days is low for everyday use. There were no hot rods back when they first came on the scene. But that is where hot rod guys/girls come into play…pun intended.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  7. A few of my old ones. 214.jpg

jnaki likes this.
  8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER