Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ford v. Ferrari... More Than a Movie.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Cool movie.
    Never met the real folks so I don’t know how accurate anything is other than names and places.
    I best part was after the movie when one of my sons friends was discussing the life of Ken Miles. This 17 year old knew more details about him than I did.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  2. Boodlum

Boodlum

Good movie drama, but Enzo Ferrari was not present at 1966 Le Mans.

Had to do with Enzo Ferrari's backroom politics getting the 1964 Monza race cancelled so his cars would win the World Manufacturers Championship over Shelby's cars. For this FIA pulled Enzo Ferrari's Competitor's License and Luigi Chinetti (NART) had to enter Ferrari cars at Le Mans.

Enzo Ferrari ended up attending only Italian Grand Prix races at Monza and Imola.

3. Boodlum

Boodlum

In real life Lorenzo Bandini was a pretty normal looking guy. [​IMG]

He took over as Ferrari lead driver after Surtees had his falling out with Enzo Ferrari.
    John Surtees went on to drive Chaparral 2H and 2J for Jim Hall.

stillrunners and Just Gary like this.
  4. toml24

toml24

The world-wide Box Office through February 16th is $224.3 Million.

stillrunners and anthony myrick like this.
  5. Mike

Mike

Shelby faced a lot of obstacles from all levels of the Ford Motor Company, It was simple and convenient for the movie makers to dump it all on Beebe and portray him as the bad guy. Leo Beebe was actually a fairly reasonable and talented guy.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    tractorguy likes this.
  6. Mike

Mike

I watched Ford vs. Ferrari by myself at my local theater when it first came out. When it came back to the theatre later, I took my wife to see it. She really enjoyed it, and it inspired her to park her 2013 Challenger and start mostly driving her '64 1/2 Mustang.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  7. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

If Enzo didn't show up its because he knew he was beat. Long live the push rod V8's.

65pacecar and stillrunners like this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I liked the movie, I don’t know all the facts in great detail, like some of you guys here, but I do remember it happening . That, and Ford doing good at NASCAR, back when it was a stock car race. Check my avatar car, one like it won Daytona in 1965. I was just getting my drivers license during this time and read everything I could get my hands on, yes read.... no net back then! Lol My wife bought tickets for me and family, since we didn’t want to string out all across the theater, she bought 4 seats in two rows. When I sat down, I noticed we were in rows “ F” and “ E “ ..... I knew right then it was going to be a good evening!

Bones

9. Here's me "with it" at the Worlds Fair 1968......we went in dad's new 1968 swb Ford 390/auto truck with camping trailer attached and camped out at the state park. Not sure if he had a clue but that truck ran Olds Fiesta hubcaps !

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. Should include a pic........ Dad's 68 and Nimrod.jpg

5window and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My friends dad bought one of those that year and I guess he ordered every option they had, even bucket seats! Neat truck, ran good, like gasoline! Lol.

Bones

stillrunners likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife rented the movie off Redbox yesterday and she watched it in the "girl cave" last night and was yelling, wooping it up and clapping, glad I didn't take her to see it in a theater or we would probably have been kicked out.

13. Boodlum

Boodlum

After six consecutive Le Mans victories followed by a four consecutive year Ford slap-down, Ferrari never again won Le Mans.

65pacecar likes this.
  14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It finally made it to our theatre. A town of 500 with volunteers running the place. Tickets cost $2.00. Friday threw Sunday. Saturday night was 70 % full. Talked to a guy who went Sunday night, the same amount. Interesting that the trunk lid was being hit with a big hammer. Weren`t those cars aluminum. At the end when Miles was at the test track, I told the young kid this is the sad part. He looked puzzled. At the end of the movie, he asked if he died. He looked sad. In Road and Track, years ago they had the lay out of the LeMans track. Inside of it, they had placed every major race track. Including Daytona, Indy, Bonneville, Bakersfield and about 12 others tracks. Interesting to see the shear size of it. I guess you could compare it to the automobile version of the Island of TT.

65pacecar and stillrunners like this.
  15. toml24

toml24

I went to Le Mans in November of 1982, just to take some once-in-a-lifetime nostalgia photos from the outside. Turns out, the infield and pit were open for a drivers school and I convinced the chief instructor to take me around the short "Bugatti Course" in a school Renault, and the instructor decided the tour would be at racing speed. HOLY SHIT, feel the tension, man what a ride!!!! It was a experience I will never forget. Thanks for the ride!
    1982-Le Mans-5.jpg 1982-Le Mans-4.jpg

16. Lepus

Lepus

I think the movie is great. My wife went with me reluctantly, and she thought it was the best movie she had seen in a long time. Henry II getting a ride in the GT was my favorite scene.

65pacecar and Splitbudaba like this.