Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods recessing a license plate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BURN OUT BOB, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Wizard thanks, I seen one Howells made but more money than I wanted t

2. I just tacked some 1/8th" flat stock to the spots I was going to weld it to the body. Drilled some holes in the pan and plug welded it. I liked the thin, it made it easier to shape.

3. Dirk35

Dirk35

Bob, Im with you. My gas tank cover is a crummy fiberglass repo one that doesn't fit the body line and the plate is just the license plate screwed into the gas tank cover with sheet metal screws. It looks totally like an afterthought, and I hate it.

I keep looking for one to pop up in the classifieds, but no luck. If I don't eventually find one, Ill probably do the thing you're planning on doing.

I suggest that you make your complete box out of sheet metal first. Then cut out the entire perimeter and weld it in on the edges. Looking at your writing on the cover, I think that if you cut it down the middle and try to bend the original sheet metal (to make the top and bottom of your box), you'll NOT get a clean neat straight bend and it'll look bad. Oh yeah, I hadn't thought about it, but like the others have said, add drain holes in the bottom.

Here is a picture of the one from Howell's. In my opinion, it looks like the best of the one's that I have seen. $375 plus shipping. So, like you, Ill probably get a steel tank cover and once of the French plate kits and do my own.

Howells Sheetmetal.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Do it Over and fiftyv8 like this.
  4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Exactly what I do. Seems to work better for me.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And they probably wont sent it to you anyway. :cool:

V8-m likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yeh
    From what I've heard, Howells' delivery/customer service track record has been iffy as of late.

V8-m and Bandit Billy like this.