Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 ford trans for av8 so many questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rmacneil1, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Rmacneil1

Rmacneil1

Hi there. Long time lurker. First time poster. I've searched everywhere and am scratching my head. I have managed to find a 32 v8 trans. I read 39 is the best year but so far pretty hard to find up here north of Washington in Canada. I also have two 48 car side shifts a 49 f1 heavy duty 3 speed and a 32 model b trans (I've been collecting parts) i have read that the side shift gear set can be installed in the 32 case but will still need a 39 shift tower. Is the 32 trans more valuable being that it's the first year? It also has the 32 mount on it which I won't be using. Thanks for all the help. This place had been a wealth of knowledge!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  2. The case used in '39 actually came out in '37 and you should find the number "78" cast into the case. Since your side shift gears will go into the case all you need is a bare case, they can't be that hard to find, maybe a "wanted" ad as a last resort. I have heard that the late gears are a tight fit in the '32 case. Sell the '32 stuff. Are you in touch with your local Early Ford V8 Club? I have never heard of anyone successfully modifying the shifter tower. That is the reason you see them selling for a high price.

Charlie Stephens

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. 1950mercsled

1950mercsled
    from oregon

Your 32 case probably won’t accept the gears in a side shift themight possibly fit a 28 tooth gear or Zephyr gears but I am pretty confident that the 29 tooth gear will not fit. There is a clearance in the later cases to accommodate the later gear sets. You will need to find a double decent shift tower for sure. Are you wanting to run a 32 case? Or would you run a later one?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. warbird1, LOU WELLS and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. 1950mercsled

1950mercsled
    from oregon

6. Rmacneil1

Rmacneil1

I'd prefer to run a later one. But if this is all I have I'll run it.

It is a 3 speed. But it's the big 3 speed if that makes any sense. I pulled the tower off the gear set and forks are huge. Nothing looks interchangeable with the regular 3 speeds. I could run the whole tranny from the f1 but I read the ratios aren't great for a car. Also it's open drive. Looking to keep the torque tube.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Find the case and shifter stuff from a regular size F-1, install the 48 car gears in them, and then use whatever rear mount works with your crossmember. Save the 32 clutch throw out arm if you are using a 32 K member and pedals. It's probably worth as much as the whole transmission.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. 1950mercsled

1950mercsled
    from oregon

9. 1950mercsled

1950mercsled
    from oregon

Can you send a picture of the big transmission. In the F1s they only made the small 3 spd and a 4 speed which I am guessing that is what you have.

10. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

The 48 side shift guts are same as a 39 you could fit in a early case but it’s a pain, your still going to need a late shifter so you might as well get corresponding case , you could use the side shift trans with a conversion floor shifter

11. Rmacneil1

Rmacneil1

Came out of a 49 I think Mercury M47 pickup. Feels like there is only 3 gears there.

Attached Files:

12. Rmacneil1

Rmacneil1

Just looked it up. It's a T87 three speed. I bought the whole chassis minus body just for the pedal set and f1 crossmember. But I figured I'd hang onto all of it until I'm done the build. Came with the 8ba motor and I'll take the juice brakes off the front axle.

13. They did put the 3 speed stick like the early 39 trans into the 48 up to 51 trucks - most I find are behind the flathead 6.....

14. 1950mercsled

1950mercsled
    from oregon

There is a ball end connected to the frame and the clutch arm linkage might be worth keeping especially if you are going to use the pedals and crossmember. But that trans is junk.