Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using Paypal to protect your order.....new info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Feb 22, 2020.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Recently I posted a thread about attempting to purchase some parts from a company and using Paypal to protect my money. Things worked out and Paypal came thru with a refund when the less than honest company failed to send me the parts I ordered. This was a $2700 purchase.
    Since then I was made aware of a feature that I don't know a lot about, so if I mis-state this, please correct me. Apparently they have something called "Friends and Family". I'm assuming that it allows people to either pay no fee or maybe a reduced fee. The reason I'm bringing this up is that I saw an ad in the Hamb "Parts for sale" section that said to send money via Paypal "friends and family".
    My understanding based on a short converstion with someone is that if you use the "Friends and Family" option, you will not/may not(?) be eligible for a refund if you don't receive what you ordered.
    Like I said, I am not sure of all the rules when using the "Friends and Family" option, so if you try to save a few dollars by using that option, you may shoot yourself in the foot......so to speak. Be sure you research this for yourself BEFORE sending anyone any money.......especially if they ain't really friends or family.

Since I had good luck twice with Paypal, I'm very happy with them......and since I recommended using Paypal to everyone on the Hamb, I felt I should point this out to insure everyone gets good results. ;)

alanp561 and Hnstray like this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That is correct, if you're using the "gift" feature there are no fees charged or paid and no protections. Its supposed to be used to transfer money to family or friends, not for purchasing goods, DON'T use it for that. You're cheating paypal, and you'll have no protection.

ETA, if the seller insists, offer to pay the fee's and increase the amount you send to cover them, that way you'll still be protected.

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Some try to avoid fees and others try to avoid taxes by using friends and family. I've learned over the years that PayPal reports anything over 20k "goods and services" payments.

alanp561 likes this.
  4. Sounds like fraud to me when it's used in this fashion. Maybe the moderators should shut down any ads that ask you to do this.

stillrunners, alanp561 and Hnstray like this.

5. I sent .my daughter some $$ the other day paypal friends and family and it NOW charges you the fee...

So now as a buyer you get to pay the fee and NO protection.

lothiandon1940 and silent rick like this.
  6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

A seller requesting "Friends and Family" Paypal payment should be a "Red Flag".

stillrunners and Hnstray like this.
  7. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Correct. I use pay pal daily and the friends & family is like a gift. You not buying or selling anything so there is no need for buyer or seller protection. Jimmie

8. -Brent-

-Brent-

The fee is if you're sending the $ via a credit card charge, I believe. If not, it hasn't happened to me, yet.

Blues4U and Hnstray like this.