Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 283 eng into 34 rdst w/stock 34 ford runing gear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boo, Feb 18, 2020.

1. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

thinking of putting a stock 283 chev engine in my 34 rdst. will it fit w/stock size radiator? i have a adapter to use stock 34 trans, will i have to cut firewall? doing a 1950's build, what m mounts so i can use a stock mechanicl fewl pump? was going to put in a 331 cad eng., but this seams to be the faster and simplest way to go. i already have 2 cars w/flatheads and a flt head dragster, don"t need another flt head car. will have a 40-48 colum shift tranny, bltproof columbia o/d rear. the way i drive now, i dont want a race car, just a stock eng., 331 cad eng 250 hp, 283 w/4bl. 200, hp, flathead 110-125 hp. chev, easest way to get more power so i can tow a trailer in the mountains. ????

2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I can't answer your questions, but I'll bump this up to the top for you.

3. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

That's been done many , many times .
    A '39 trans is a better choice.
    the radiator will clear.
    a small firewall notch will probably be required for the distributor .

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The "trailer in the mountains" line makes me hope you are thinking about serious upgrades to the brakes and suspension.:eek:

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unique idea, cant say I've seen a SBC in a early ford. I'll watch.

warbird1, 61Cruiser, Rckt98 and 2 others like this.
  6. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

7. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

Great idea just go easy on the gearbox ,I've had a Chevy in my 35 with early running gear for many years

8. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

Thanks ALL for the info, i know this has been done many times but i never have done it, i was not sure if i had to cut the firewall. the reason i wanted the 40-48 trans is because i want a column shift on the f-100 steering box and column, it's the same gears. the brakes i have are f-350 backing plates on front w/buick drums, the rear?? i will probly use stock 40 ford rear brakes on the columbia rear , any other sugestions ? no disks. also what clutch disk and ? pressure plate, pilot bearing? the trailer i haul is just a small one for my wifes cloths.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I had Fort Wayne clutch build me the correct combination. I believe I purchased the pilot bearing from Speedway. Pressure plate depends on bolt circle on flywheel. I have an aluminum flywheel in my pickup.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida