Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage No Surf in Nevada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 21, 2020.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

No Surf in Nevada

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. NoSurf

NoSurf

The surfboards are on backwards....

Chili Phil and Hren59 like this.
  3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Meadowbrook looks good. A trip to the carwash and I'd cruise it

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Joey, I'm patiently awaiting the next chapter of how you & your wife saved the Meadowbrook wagon and returned it back to the San Francisco area. :D HRP

Moondog13, chryslerfan55 and jchav62 like this.

5. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

Hey, you can surf on Tahoe when the wind kicks up!:p

NoSurf likes this.
  6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

He's ready for the big one to bring the coastline closer.

NoSurf likes this.
  7. jchav62

jchav62

Cool story! I'd like to find that place one day and walk around.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

The wagon is cool!

9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Hazen? Hazen?
    Holy S### that’s the stop outside of Fallon on the 50!
    Drive by it for years on the way to Reno and Carson City. But that was another life.
    As for the surf wagon, did you know that the Navy Top Gun School is now in Fallon (where my father was stationed). So you have a large number of Navy types moving and out of the area. Maybe someone’s ride wouldn’t make home to the coast. Though it is just a jump over on the 50 or 80
    More background for your ‘story’

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah it does give the vibe that the car broke down and sold instead of fixed.

And.... I love it. Very cool, lots of potential

11. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

(Here's an off topic comment I'll bet no one was expecting) OMG ... That "General Whale" decal... That was Larry Foster's organization (Oakland, CA circa 1971 or 72)... He pretty much led the awareness movement for whale protection. He's an amazing artist. Three of us lived (unofficially) in the same industrial space in Oakland back then. This is a clear case of "when worlds collide". Also ads more evidence to a SF bay area connection.

12. 2935ford

2935ford

Both the Stude and the Dodge have great potential! :)

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

14. flyin-t

flyin-t

nope, totally era correct. DA6BC5C2-90E1-4B3F-A93F-7775B203908B.jpeg 2BA07F1E-355B-4F85-A265-350C24FDB2A0.jpeg

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Byron McMahon

Byron McMahon

The ram is different than on my '53.

Attached Files:

Tim and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Great story coming from a nice road trip. In 1960-64, my friend had a similar 2 door station wagon. It was a typical surf wagon. Our boards were usually on top, some were sticking out of the back and we all got to Dana Point from Long Beach safely. The boards shown on the Nevada wagon are on the correct way. The fins shown are obviously from a later time period as they have less area and are curved. (the base is/was supposed to be as long as the perpendicular measurement of the tip of the fin)

But, the curved noses do the job of helping with the wind direction. Look at the wide base fins in @flyin-t photo posts. Those are early to mid 60s fins, one is in the La Jolla area of S.D. and the other one in the Huntington Beach Pier parking lot. (with the famous Golden Bear concert venue across the street. )

The theory was that the wind would blow over the hood, window and go over the top of the curved noses. (some of the early boards were flat) Then by the time it reached the fins, (9-11 feet back) they probably diverted the wind out and around the rear. This set up did not make noise, the fins in the front made noise for some reason. There is something to be said about wind resistance on wagons.

This comment in the story caught my eye.

“But there were two custom touches: chrome spider caps on the steelies and a pair of surfboards on the roof. “It looks very Dana Point,” Lindsey said. They wanted $7,500 for it.”

My friend’s 2 door wagon was a regular at the three spots that made up Dana Point surf at Doheny and where the harbor is located today. It was not a Ford, Chevy or Oldsmobile, but a Dodge, maybe it was a Plymouth…they both looked similar. The grille of the Dodge was the one. It was “raggety” surf teenage era and we had fun.
    upload_2020-2-22_4-42-43.png friday art 2018
    Jnaki

By the way, is your friend, Leslie from the So Cal, Dana Point area? In the time period of 1960-65, the station wagons did look “like Dana Point.” The line up of cars was station wagons, their own, or borrowed from the family lineup. The parking lot for the Dana Point area near Doheny, was the main place. Then we had to walk or paddle up the coast to one other pristine spot hidden from the roving eyes of other surfers. Most surfers were satisfied with the waves at Doheny.

upload_2020-2-22_4-48-21.png
    But a walk to where the overhead bridge is now located was one of the best spots on the West Coast. Clean peaks for good lefts or rights to the shoreline was the mode of the day. It was usually glassy as the shoreline kelp kept the waves relatively smooth. That was what we think of when someone mentions Dana Point.
    upload_2020-2-22_4-45-3.png

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    J.Ukrop, Rolleiflex and kidcampbell71 like this.