Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Speedway tie rod end quality

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jebbesen, Feb 19, 2020.

1. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

2. $10 for a tie rod? REALLY ! Think about it CHINESE for that price, Get the thread size you need and buy MOOG at your local parts store.. you will have a warranty atleast also.

3. What he said^^^^
    That's what I did. NAPA.

26 T Ford RPU and olscrounger like this.
  4. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

I was kinda thinking the same thing. Thanks

5. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I agree totally, what kind of quality do you get in a $10 tie rod end? Cheap is very seldom better. Go Moog and get a quality product.

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

7. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

8. I double this.. how good is the steel @$10 FULL RETAIL price

OLDSMAN likes this.
  9. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

I see I can get Moog ES416 for about $17 each on Rock Auto. I may bump up to the ES150 3/4 thread ones for my radius rods anyway. They're about the same price.

Didn't mean to start a fight about this. I'm usually all about buying the best quality either US made or NOS but just trying to figure out what is the most cost effective way to go. To do the radius rods I'll need 8 tie rod ends and then there are 4 for the steering.

I think that I'll end up buying 4130 tubing for the radius rods.

JNKYARDDOG_1 and OLDSMAN like this.
  10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

4130 moly tubing would be a great idea for the radius rods!

11. I get an error with your link but I used 20 of their chrome tie rod ends all over the Mysterion clone. Also used them on my Willys front end tie rod & drag link as I recall. Been 25 years ago!! Show quality chrome and they seem really high quality. Anyone have stats on how many catastrophic accidents have been blamed on Speedway tie rod ends over the years?

P1010449.JPG low front .jpg

12. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

just more of the buy 'merican BS anti-speedway stuff with no facts to back it up

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Doesn't matter if the part was at fault, it'd still get the blame anyway. Prejudices are hard to overcome.

14. no fight being looked at... it all good, Just something to ponder on.

15. I have many purchases from speedway... Just NOT a critical steering part that is $10 retail and no warranty.

16. alchemy

alchemy

I buy from Speedway all the time. Including some cheap tie rod ends about 15 years ago when I put together my car. But, about 7,000 miles later I could twist the tie rod back and forth with no effort, very loose. I replaced with new Moog parts and could feel a difference in the steering immediately.

17. If the Chinese can't make a quality part, why in the hell is the USA, along with the rest of the world, worried about their nuclear weapons program. Pretty sure they're not using 'made in America' parts.....

18. 38bill

38bill
    from Minnesota

Had Speedway tie rod ends on my truck and with very few miles of use they failed a NSRA safety inspection. When I questioned the inspector he said that they had seen several other almost new rod ends that were bad. Switched to Moog and so far so good.

19. thecj3man

thecj3man
    from TN

The Chinese can make quality parts as long as the buyer is willing to pay for it. The cheap end of it comes mostly from the consumers of said parts.

Blues4U and pnevells like this.
  20. upspirate

upspirate

Did they use 4 bar front ends on those? only pics I could come up with were hidden behind the exhaust.

21. Not according to the HAMB. Here, all the Chinese can make are shitty parts. Just ask 'em….

22. wvenfield

wvenfield

I doubt their Chinese made part is any better than the Speedway made part. Looks like you can at least go to the local retailer and search through the boxes for a US made one. (Or Germany)

But that opens a can of worms that this site really isn't about.

23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Used them on about 10 model A builds and never had a problem....

24. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Here're some of Ivo's, Grabowski's, and Von Franco's clone. NHRA06145.jpg NHRA061331-1.jpg Norm-Grabowski-T-bucket (1).jpg FRANCO.jpg norm-grabowski-t-bucket-engine-side (1).jpg SANY0005.jpg

upspirate likes this.
  25. lemondana

lemondana
    from Lincoln NE

I have a friend that used a MII kit from Speedway on his 50 Chevy pickup. Not to many miles the upper ball joint broke when he was turning into the motel, luckily. Had he been going down the highway, it wouldn't have had a good outcome. I will never buy stuff like that from Speedway and they are only a couple miles from my house.

26. I once heard it said "If you've got a $10 head, buy a ten dollar helmet"

Thinking kind of the same thing here. Brakes and steering are absolutely not the place to save money.

Truck64 and jebbesen like this.
  27. Spent a bunch of money with speedway in 30 years, never had an issue with anything I've bought from them, but there's always that chance, kinda like walking across the street. But i do service and grease my junk quite often. Not a fan of the grease they put this stuff together with. That said, I've bought moog parts before that didn't hold up well either. It's all aftermarket.

Chicster and scrap metal 48 like this.
  28. badvolvo

badvolvo

I don't think buying from Speedy 25 years ago is comparable to buying from Speedway today. Just my personal opinion. They seem to have gone down hill quickly. I won't skimp on suspension parts, I just spent $275.00 for ball joints for my jeep. China ones are about $40.00 for the set.

29. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'll jump in on this as I do get to see some of their stuff especially during the summer months...

First off the Chinese can build good stuff if the contractor wants to pay for that quality.... The problem lies in the fact that most u.s. contractors don't want to pay for that quality they just want a cheap ass product to throw on the market to compete with other low quality parts...

Second, I get to see lots of cheap parts from all different vendors, speedway, rock auto, etc. And there is a difference. Sure you can build a car with them that see's 100 to 150 miles a year on it and brag how great the parts are after 5 year but put it on your daily driver, give it 5000 miles then check it out.

The ball joints in most of the mk2 front end kits are junk, cheap Chinese junk. We have cars come in with under 500 miles with these kits installed and it's usually 1 of 2 reasons, 1- car squeaks turning or thru dips, 2- popping noise in the front end. They tell use its a new mk2 kit and we pretty much know right off its the junk ball joints.

There are things that I have used that are Chinese and have no problem using them but suspension parts is not 1 of them. Again I replace numerous b. Joints every year that are cheap replacements. And at least 2 or 3 b.joint sets from cheap rock auto kits a year.

X38 likes this.
  30. The issue with the whole parts made in china deal is pretty simple. Nobody buys or manufactures goods from china because they are seeking the "best". It is almost without exception a cost cutting measure. Do they squeek out something decent here and again? Of course they do, but knowing what not to buy is the question.