Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gear shift lever

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PhredH, Feb 12, 2020.

1. PhredH

PhredH

The attached gearshift lever was on a Model B Ford transmission that I am installing in my '28 Phaeton. At first I thought I would like the swoopiness of the lever, but after installation it hits the seat cushion in first and third gear and is a bit tall for my preference. I now would like a straighter and shorter lever.

1) What body style and year(s) is the current lever from?

2) What style/year levers might meet my shorter/straighter desires? I'd rather not try to rework the existing swoopy lever.

Thanks in advance for any input.
    Peace, Phred Shift Lever1.jpg

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

3. PhredH

PhredH

UPDATE
    Thanks to all.
    I'm going to find a 32 - 34 straight lever as a starting point.

Summary of what I've learned: 32 - 35 shift towers "leaned back, later towers were "upright". 32 - 34 levers were straight, 35 levers were swan shaped. Levers do not interchange between 32-35 towers and later towers.

Peace, Phred

4. clem

clem

You could always modify your seat !
    I’m not sure why you don’t want to modify yours, but that’s up to you.
    I straightened mine and shortened it, then threaded it for original knob. Was less than an hours work.
    How long will you spend looking for what you want, plus cost, then hang your original on the wall ?

5. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

I'm an ex metalman, so my vote goes to the red-hot route. Make the straight line at the bottom extend a little further up and the rest of it will retain its lines. I like it a lot. Looks like a recurve bow.
    Edited for clarification-
    By "red-hot", I meant to just heat and bend it straight where it starts to bend to the rear. (if that would be enough to clear the seat). If not, you could splice a short piece into it.
    Yes, it would make great garage-wall art, but it would be so....static.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020