Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects When it was complete, did it turn out to be what you originally envisioned it to be ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Dec 5, 2019.

1. gene-koning

gene-koning

Every one I've built was, at some point, exactly as I had envisioned it would be. My rides usually start with the vision then get built to that vision.

Once it had reached the original vision, it may have been a little more refined version of the original vision, or it may have stayed where it was and got sold. If a new project started out of a revised vision of a previous ride, the new version would have been several years later.

Most of my hot rods had a 3-5 year life span at my place, before I grew tired of it, and started the next project that was usually completely different. After the latest project was nearly road ready, the previous one was sold. I don't ever recall doing two similar projects back to back, but there a couple of hot rods that were built as a revised vision of a previous ride, but they were built at least 3-5 years after the first vision.

The make over my coupe that is currently under way is the 1st time I've done a revised version of the same theme, on the same car. Gene

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the past I changed plans far too often and never finished it even thought I drove it hundreds of thousands of miles in that time frame and wore it out three times.
    Hopefully this go around it will turn out as the plans I have for it go and I'll be happy with it and maybe wear it out again.

3. absolutely, every single time. However, there have been a few cars where my vision has been a bit blind, so I cut the end result into little pieces and started over again. I'm damn hard to please, but I live with it.

kiwijeff likes this.
  4. When I buy a project car, I know in my mind what the finished project will look like, and build it accordingly.
    I can and quite often do look at any car and envision in my mind what I'd do to it, to make it my "perfect".
    Of course that is my personal opinion, and thankfully and hopefully we all have our own opinions that we adhere to, and are satisfied with the results.
    If you marathon a build, and during that time span change the path you intended to take, tells me that you're not committed to a certain build style, and therefore may be one of the people that "follows the latest trend".

Baron and kiwijeff like this.
  5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I always knew what I was getting into and developed build plans knowing that plans are flexible. Be prepared for contingencies, build ideas, method of construction or other things may change. Plan ahead so you're not caught out remembering, measure twice and cut once. and ALWAYS remember the 7 x 'P's, Proper planning and preparation prevent piss poor performance.:D

6. 392

I’d say yes but along the way 99 % of builds do change in one form or another either during or after build. Evolution more or less. Looks, function, performance, etc.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

image.jpg I had an idea but parts came about after I got started that changed the build slightly. The main one was the use of a farm-all tractor gas tank cut in half and stood on end to serve as the track nose. I also never envisioned the nerf bars but thought it needed something. I think it just adds to the old school race car vibe. image.jpg image.jpg

i.rant, Baumi, Elcohaulic and 13 others like this.
  8. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

When I started my 48 in the winter of 2019/20 my intention and design was to make it a look like a survivor. Slightly dull paint, a garage logo on the door, painted wheels and caps and rings, and lowered. I liked the results. Stayed with the visual all this time. First "visual" change was in 2019, 78,000 miles later. I added chrome bumpers and a very nice chrome grill. I like the change. As for the drive train, Lottsa up grades over the years, engines, trans, suspensions, brakes, PS/PB, interior, even cruise control. But it still looks the same. I guess it's become my trade mark----And that works for me. Bill Rinaldi

9. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

The '58 may have actually turned out better than I envisioned it...

truck2.jpg

Baumi, Elcohaulic, Chavezk21 and 12 others like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-2-15_4-21-31.png 1960
    Hello,

When we rolled the 1940 Willys Coupe from the tall grass in our neighbor’s side yard, we were extremely happy. The body and overall coupe was in fairly good shape. It had been covered over the years and we knew it was not a Model A underneath the shape of the canvas. I have seen the “finds” on the HAMB. I am sure everyone that is doing their hard work would have liked to start a full project with the pristine body, moldings, bumpers, well, just about everything. We only had to drain the water and gas, change the oil and filter bringing the prep work to a close. Then with new spark plugs, a squirt of gas and a new battery, it fired up so we could go for a ride.

We had a lot of fun driving down and around the neighborhood. So, it was a sad day to start taking things apart to begin our hot rod/drag race project. We looked at each other and knew the other guy was thinking…what a lot of work ahead. But, as avid teenage hot rod brothers, we started our year long tear down and rebuilt to a competitive state in the Gas Coupe (street legal) Classes.
    upload_2020-2-15_4-23-22.png

Jnaki

It was painted a primer (I think it was a red primer, most think it was black, the friend with the Olds in a 34 Ford coupe says he remembers red primer…) But hey, we are all thinking back 60 years to a clean, sharp teenage mind and build. Until I can find the missing movies I took of the Willys Coupe, it will continue to be a mystery. When the tear down and build started, we looked at each other and the looks had the feeling of… “what are we doing?”

The finished coupe was our goal. By 3 months, we had a running 283 SBC + a LaSalle trans and Chevy rear axle unit. But, for the final stage of competition, we had to be somewhat close to the national record for the last step in the build process. On that fateful day/night 4 months later, all of our final parts were on order or sitting in an LA garage waiting for pickup.

The new Halibrands, M&H slicks, two port Hilborn Injectors, and a B&M Stick Hydro was on order for a next week installation. Then, in a few days later, upholstery and paint were already scheduled. All of those items, we never saw as we were interrupted in our goal to make it to the Detroit Nationals in September. It definitely was the end of Summer blues.

So, no, it did not turn out as planned. But, our lives revolved around recovery from the burns and opened up our eyes to a whole world of stuff to do, having fun in the process. Learning to build, work together and having a somewhat finished product was one of the best of times. The slogan heard a lot these days is… “It is what it is…”

From that episode of our teenage lives, we have applied what we learned and adjusted to whatever society threw at us all of this time. My brother's life became a shortened one and memories/photos/films are what is left of those brotherly adventures in hot rods, surfing, motorcycles and family.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  11. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Yes. But, but don't ever totally finish one. Always little changes somewhere along the line or different look after so long. Always tinkering on something.

12. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

image.jpeg image.jpeg From this to this in 9 months, and very happy.

13. ALFIN32 beautiful car/transformation..not sure our friends over at the Ford Barn would agree though.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And we don’t really care :p:D

Gasser 57, Baron, clem and 1 other person like this.
  15. To be honest better than I had envisioned. HRP

16. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always. Or else I keep working on it until it does.

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somebody threw out a blond looking as hot as that one and you just picked her up. You lucky dog.

kiwijeff likes this.
  18. trollst

trollst

Seriously, she wasn't wearing much, pretty hard not to look, a buddy's wife.

alanp561 likes this.
  19. bchctybob

bchctybob

I decided what I wanted my ‘56 to be and just did it. I’m real happy with it. Sometimes I want more power but that would mean changing the whole drivetrain so that won’t happen anytime soon. IMG_0916.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. My avatar turned out exactly as I envisioned. Funny thing was, I had the plan in my head, and several people said it would work, tried to tell me their ideas, but after I was done, they were all blown away.

edcodesign and alanp561 like this.
  21. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just as I envisioned it.
    Corvette day 1 at shop a.JPG 57 Corvette 10 16 2018.jpg

22. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same with my 55. I envisioned this car for 50 + years.
    55 in Bills shop.JPG Quick Trip 4 28 19 d x cragars.jpg

23. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ I like those blue windows! I did that to my ‘56 a thousand years ago with Cal Custom spray window tint.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Elcohaulic and Baron like this.
  24. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Nope. I have no talent.

25. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I'm lucky. I have a strong ability to envision things. My wife needs graphics to see what a finished product will be like, she can't envision anything. I used 1/25 scale models to confirm my paint combinations. Cheaper and more fun than concept drawings!

I have deviated little from this starting point. While we aren't completely done we are getting very close. The only changes were forced by things like not being able to find an exact color match for some upholstery colors and making concessions there. The taillights also changed along the way.
    SPark

scalegreen7.jpg scalegreen8.jpg IMG_6992.JPG IMG_6993.JPG IMG_6994.JPG IMG_6995.JPG IMG_6996.JPG IMG_6997.JPG IMG_6998.JPG IMG_6999.JPG IMG_7001.JPG IMG_7002.JPG paint3a.jpg paint3b.jpg paint3c.jpg paint3d.jpg paint3e.jpg paint3f.jpg paint3g.jpg paint3h.jpg paint3i.jpg paint3j.jpg

26. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Better than I envisioned , 8 year build.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  27. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

28. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Car show on Eastern 1,4,2020.jpg Yep mine turned out just like I wanted,,,,Well for the most part..hahahahaha

29. birdman1

birdman1

love is blind, they all look great to me!

Black_Sheep likes this.
  30. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

mixed 011.jpg IMG_20170430_165218.jpg IMG_1356.JPG
    Most of my builds turned out just as or even better than I had envisioned. But I tend to get off track , like starting fto fix brakes and finding myself in a full resto. Sometimes things snowball.

LOWDUG37, chevy57dude and Baron like this.