Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs roof seam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toolmn68, Feb 15, 2020.

1. toolmn68

toolmn68
    from canada

hi guys..what is the best way to fill roof seam on 1950 chev sedan delivery--thanks for any and all advice-jim

2. A picture, or am I not seeing something? If you don't need it. Why not just weld, and grind it up?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. I assume you are talking about a leaded joint? Is there a problem with it? Just sand smooth, use a little filler if needed. In order to weld it you have to remove all the lead. That is a lot more work.

Sent from dumb operator on a smart phone

4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If a '50 is anything like a '41 in this regard, there's a seam at the side of the roof where it meets the gutter. The '41 body maintenance manual says to periodically brush a seam sealer into this join. There is a Chevy part#; I don't know what this product is or what a modern equivalent is, but it's not a painted over join so I'd expect it's not like modern paintable seam sealer. The fact that it requires periodic reapplication makes me wonder exactly what it is! I've been meaning to attend to mine ('41 coupe), but that job never seems to get to the top!

edit - just checked, on my '41 the seam I'm referring to is at the bottom of the gutter so to the most part is hidden from view by the gutter itself, but is very noticeable as the gutter sweeps down behind the rear quarter window.

Chris

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020

5. toolmn68

toolmn68
    from canada

thanks for the replies so far--here's the problem..PO has epoxy primer on the car but where the roof seam is, it is slightly lower than the surrounding metal with small holes showing right where the seam is that did not fill with the primer..what method now will give best results for the finish coat? Again thanks for any advice.

6. Okay, so a 50 Chevy Sedan Delivery has no seam up high. The roof panel has a Weld seam dead center front to back and then the top section is connected at the mid section behind the Belt line molding. They are prone to rust due to no way out for silt and sediment. Today we have a good product called Brush on seam sealer. This would be my choice. There is also heavy drip check sealer. Epoxy base is a good deal to use under both products and both take paint very well.

7. toolmn68

toolmn68
    from canada

thanks Pist-n -Broke--sounds just the advice i need!!!

Pist-n-Broke likes this.