Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 9" Ford rear end in a 1952 F3 Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1rifleman, Feb 14, 2020.

1. 1rifleman

1rifleman

Good morning All -

I was lucky to find a decent 52 F3 that ran, kinda. There are some issues with the transmission and rear end. I have read where many have upgraded the rear end of the old Ford trucks with the more modern Ford 9" rear end. I was fortunate to locate an original 9" from a 64 Ford F-100 for the sum of $50. My questions are centered around the modifications necessary to put the 9" into the F3 and the alterations need to change to a real drive shaft. My thanks in advance for the assistance! If there are any participants who need an original F3 rear end, I might be your guy.

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Some quick measuring should tell, but I believe they bolt right in .

3. 53 effie

53 effie

I swapped a 9" into my 53 F-100. I found I needed the F-250 lower shock plates to fit the larger diameter axle housing of the 9" compared to the original Dana 44. Your F3 swap may be easier as you already have the larger parts.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Close to a bolt in, I did one close, it was a 1956 and it bolted in. Even used the same drive shaft. You may be able too, but might have to have a special u joint.

Bones

5. ahshoe

ahshoe

I have a 9" I put in my 56 f100..I had to cut the spring perches off the bottom as in the mustang they sat on the leaf spring. On the f100 the perches are on top of the axle tube...so the perched were welded on the top of the tube a little closer on center than they were on the 67 hosing I was using. Then I had the driveshaft cut and balanced.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  6. Terraizer

Terraizer

your F3 is 8lug, the 9" is 5 lug. I put a 1965 D200 dodge dana 60 in the 1952 F2 i had in highschool to keep it 8lug, had to shorten the driveshaft, relocate the spring perchs, and have a new rubber brake line made.

7. 1rifleman

1rifleman

Yes Sir - you are correct about the wheel lugs. I plan on switching to five lug wheels all around. This truck has seen it last work day. If anyone has switched to a drive shaft - where did you find a decent donor?

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My '55 F100 has a '60 Ford F100 nine-inch, bolted right in. ('60 'U-bolts and shock plates) 350 Chevrolet engine and transmission (350 Turbo hydro)
    I used the driveshaft out of a ('70? '72?) Chev Monte Carlo. Fit right in...Length, 'U' joint, and slip yoke...
    My engine was a little close to my firewall, (moved it forward 1" lately) but the driveline DID fit, right U joints and all. Excellent now...
    Most of the Borg-Warner stuff interchanges, Ford to Chev., and similar. (also early Dodge, Stude, and some Kaiser-Frazer, so a good caliper is your friend...) 'U' jonts are available as 'adapters', that is the North/South of the 'cross' may measure different than the 'East/West. Good parts man can help. (truck parts house has the sharpest parts guys)

9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

It is a direct bolt in , same width , same spring perches , only issue is you must use later lower u bolt plates . Shock mounts are welded to later housing them work as if God placed them there to be used . I near did anything larger that an F1 . But it was easy as it could be . There were 8 lug 9 inch axles out there from tow motors , they are way to narrow but it must be possible to make the flange with 8 lugs . If switching the rear to 5 lug , swap the fronts also , backing plates ,hubs and drums and your fixed up fat .

10. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

I put a 9” out of a 66 F100 into my 50 F3. The original u-bolt plates worked fine.