Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods South Carolina street rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wagthedog, Feb 11, 2020.

1. wagthedog

wagthedog

Would anyone happen to know if South Carolina has laws regarding fender less or bumper less
    cars?
    My '31 Ford has neither.
    I have also heard they get down on open pipes.

2. 62rebel

62rebel

I don't think they require either. Open pipes are a noise issue and probably the local cops are the ones who decide that. Saying that, our roads are so bad that I wouldn't run fenderless without wearing a helmet with a full face shield.

3. wagthedog

wagthedog

Thank you 62Rebel
    Just got back from a week in Charleston and Summerville and never saw a single street rod or muscle car for that matter.
    In fact I only seen one Vette the entire time and that was on Folly Beach.

4. South Carolina doesn't have a fender or bumper law, they do have excessive noise laws, the police can and do enforce it.

I know a couple of guys that chose to ignore the law but eventually it will catch up with them, friendly advice - running a out of State license plate and your asking for a ticket.

From the SCDMV website : South Carolina law states every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order to prevent excessive or unusual noise. HRP

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    p1yotaboy, 62rebel and jim snow like this.

5. 62rebel

62rebel

We have a lot of rods in the Charleston area but they are kept in garages and not driven too much due to the awful traffic conditions and general asshole people who don't give a shit. We have a good show at the Bessingers bbq every month and other get togethers. Too many rat rods but you have to get used to it.

6. I have friends in the Pawleys Island area so I'm down there a couple/few times every year. I can tell you they are much more interested in citations for no seat belt than investigating anything else. And yes, remove your front plate.

dirty old man likes this.
  7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hot rods are around, but it doesn't look like American Graffiti every night, that's for sure. If you are going to be back in the Charleston area, gimme a holler and I can give you some pointers.

See ya, -Abone.

dirty old man and jim snow like this.

8. Federal laws hold cars and trucks to the standards that were in effect at the time of their manufacture. Therefore, pre-1966 cars aren't required by federal law to have seat belts.

I have been pulled over at a license check by a rookie cop and was going to be cited for a seat belt violation, I was driving a 66 VW and I ask the rookie to call the officer in charge over to the car and he had to explain that any car or truck older than 1966 did not come with factory equiped seat belts and I was on my way.

This is ijn the Upstate of South Carolina but I would think the law applies to all the county's in the State. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. sleepchamber

sleepchamber

Been hassled about the missing seatbelts in a '61 bug myself. He decided to just give me a sweet lil ticket for the tinted license plate cover since he had me pulled over.......

10. 62rebel

62rebel

Wasn't an option for military personnel, every vehicle had to have belts, even my 60 Starliner.

11. p1yotaboy

p1yotaboy

As hot rod primer stated mostly depends on what area of sc and what the local cops think. I’m in upstate sc and have had some pretty questionable vehicles before that probably were not legal but have never been hassled about any of it. I also knew not to go to certain city limits though. It may differ from the low country but up here as long as you drive like you have sense and don’t do nothing that would potentially make them want to pull you over they usually will just give you the thumbs up and pass on by. Just my 2 cents and personal experience

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. p1yotaboy

p1yotaboy

As far as fenders and bumpers are concerned they would care less. Most likely could get by with open exhaust but again would depend on the local cops you would be dealing with

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app