Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 302 into a 347

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Derrick Lee, Feb 7, 2020.

1. All I can give ya is some advice a friend of mine that built several 347s
    He recommended the 331 for me when I asked about a stroker for a daily driver.
    He sited the same reasons already stated.
    However, he sold a lot of Scat rotating assemblies. Speedway also offers one as well as the usual eBay folks.
    When you assemble it, check for rod clearance. That’s the only issue I have ever had when working on theses, and make sure the oil pan clears. Had one 351 stroker we had to clearance the pan rail and oil pan.

2. Hey thanks alot !

3. 45D08421-A2CB-4203-9473-D22C6EECDD65.jpeg
    Here is a little more info.
    Remember the 302 started out life as a 221
    A SBC began as a 265, or born with more room.

4. See this is the things I need to know ,it's not that I just want sound or power ,to show , I want to do this on my own ,with as little mistakes as possible,an I was hoping to learn threw you all the best routes , wether be it a 347 or stock 302 with mods,

5. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

If you don't already have the skills and at least some of the knowledge needed to just put a overbored 302 together with cam and aluminum heads, then trying to get a stroker spec'd on parts and fit problem free is going to be somewhat of an uphill battle....maybe better left for when you have a little more experience??

Your questions and statements have all been so vague about parts, process, and your knowledge base that it is hard for anyone to makes anything other than a flippy answer.

6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Deuces and dirty old man like this.
  7. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

You might want to save this for reference.

8. Use a Scat crank, i beam rods and it will be 28 oz. balance. The 347's are very good engines. If the machine work is done properly, it will last a long time. Use what ever you want for cylinder heads. You can build a very strong engine withe the ford explorer gt40p heads for less money that any good alum. heads. If you go with trickflows, make sure you get pistons with valve reliefs in the correct place. Don't go over 228 degrees at 50 thou. checking on a cam if you're going to drive it. A 9 - 1 compression engine will have a very crisp bottom end and run on bad gas everywhere. There's been a million of these built. When I built mine 12 years ago, I called Ford and asked about the engine they sold at the time. I became friends with one of the guys. He told me that they ran there 347 on the dyno at 7 grand for 24 hours. Drained the oil and nothing bad came out. Once again, machine work is important. The scat parts are a very good value for the price.

9. Derrick,
    Don’t take it to heart,,,,,most of the guys don’t mean it bad .
    It is like your dad sometimes,,,,he loves you,,,but he might make you mad as hell with the blunt way he talks to you !

If you have never gone stroker,,,,it can easily get expensive,,,,,because of things that can go wrong .
    When I was reading your post,,,,,I was leaning towards a 302 size,,,or slightly more.
    The 302 is a very strong engine when modified ,,,it would be an excellent candidate to build.
    Stock stroke is plenty good,,,,,millions of them have been built like that .
    Like Jeff up there in his video,,,,,sounds great !!!

Oh yeah,,,I admire you wanting to build this yourself .
    To me that is the best part !

Tommy

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Here's some inspiration.

Deuces and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am in the process of building a 333. .040 over 289 block with a Scat crank and rods with Icon forged pop up pistons. I did not need to clearance the bottom of the bores to clear the rods.
    For your use the I-beam rods would be better. They are lighter and lass chance of having to add heavy metal when balancing. When I took mine for balancing they drilled 4 holes in the crank to make the balance.
    If you have a roller block Comp cams makes some really good stuff that sounds awesome and runs great. Keep your compression down and you can have an awesome running and sounding motor that will run on 89 octane fuel all day long.
    My old pro street Morris Minor ran a stock bore H.O. 5.0 with a .512 lift Comp hyd. roller that was my daily for 3 years. Ran on 89 octane with an A.O.D. and 4.11 gears. Got 16 to 18 mpg in town and over 20 on the highway. The aod had a shift kit and a 2200 stall convertor. DSCF3600.JPG DSCF0955.JPG
    It had a set of Pro Comp casting heads that had good parts, Scorpian roller rockers, Air Gap intake and a Edelbrock 600 carb. Never overheated even the Florida summer heat.

anthony myrick and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. old school rodder

old school rodder

you've already heard plenty of opinions, but what the heck, i'll throw you another. I did a 347 with an Eagle stroker kit and AFR heads. Its a torquey engine, i'm a Ford fan, I couldn't be happier, easily makes over 400 hp, very fast revving, torque peaked out at 426, all dyno proven. I thrash on this engine a lot in my hot rod, it has about 35,000 miles on it. I pulled it out last year, had the shop check it, no appreciable wear. Watch clearances, and its no problem. AFR heads are my favorites, but everyone has their preferences.

Deuces and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Its already been said. go to blueprint and order direct off the website. wont be able to build one yourself for the cost, has a warranty even.
    I have one, it flat out runs, and the cam and a pair of glasspacks sound pretty gnarly

14. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

And if you want a good recipie to build the motor. Join a fox body mustang forum and prepare for your head to explode. Theres hundreds of ways to milk these motors out of HP

15. the shadow

the shadow

I agree with other posts, take your 302 to 306, put a good set of heads on it, slap an X303 motorsport roller cam/lifters,get a good intake & match port it to the heads,get a good set of headers, msd ignition system and a good carb. If the rest of your combo is set right (converter/trans,rear gear,tire & suspension) the thing will run like the hammers of hell. I ran 306 with an X-cam in my stang and went 11:40's all night long (of course it was a street/race car) but I did my home work with my combo. I did go to a 347 later to get in the 9's but thats another story.