Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Borg Warner catalog 30's - 50's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 396ci, Feb 8, 2020.

1. 396ci

396ci

good afternoon! my grandfather worked at Borg Warner Service Parts in Oakland Ca selling primarily truck parts for nearly 40 years. He has since passed and I now have an collection of nos parts but no reference material. does anyone have a pdf copy (or hard copy) of parts catalogs from that era or a good website to visit? thank you in advance!

2. squirrel

squirrel

Hmmm....might help to know what kind of parts they are, because BW made a lot of different stuff, for different vehicles. And the catalogs are usually specific to one type of part, for a specific range of vehicles.

For example, an automotive fuel pump catalog (which I have) might not help you figure out what OTR truck transmission parts fit (I don't have that catalog).

3. 396ci

396ci

thanks squirrel and great point! unfortunately i have transmission parts and ring gears.

4. squirrel

squirrel

If it's old truck parts, then this isn't really the place for you. Try to find an old truck forum?

5. 396ci

396ci

interesting comment.

6. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

396, I might be interested in some of those parts. What time period did your grandfather work there?

7. 396ci

396ci

50's-80's. there are some t86 gears which may been used in cars and trucks but my expertise is in 67-72 era c10 trucks. i know that there are people in the hot rod community that 'know a guy' and i'm looking to for that guy even though some seem to think this isn't the right forum for me to be in.

8. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I have lots of parts catalogs but unfortunately no Borg Warner transmission parts catalogs yet.

9. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Do you have any part numbers like a sampling of a few? Are parts boxed? I have some older Borg warner drawings of like t86, t96 and other transmission that I think may have part numbers on them. If you show some numbers I'll look and see if they seem to match up.

10. squirrel

squirrel

Like I said at first, knowing what you have would be a big help. If it's parts that were used in cars in the 40s-60s, then we'd be interested, and might be able to help ID them.

We love pictures, too....

11. Mac VP

Mac VP

I have several older Borg Warner catalogs but the earliest is from 1966. However I also have a 1956 Perfection catalog and they used the same BW part numbers for the most part. I don’t know if your stock is still in the original boxes with the part numbers, but generally the part number was also scribed into the part itself. If you can put together a list of numbers I may be able to help ID what you have. My catalogs will be staying here of course....... Mac VP.

egads likes this.
  12. Pictures.....we love pictures - if you could share a few......not sure if I have an old catalog - I'll look around the shop.

nochop likes this.
  13. 396ci

396ci

here are some pics

Attached Files:

14. 396ci

396ci

more...

Attached Files:

15. 396ci

396ci

more....

Attached Files:

16. 396ci

396ci

i also have some pre-wwII wheels. some are hub drive and some are conventional mount an some are the old lock or split rim style.

17. 396ci

396ci

found this: early eddie edmunds custom dual carb flat head intake. seems to be in very nice condition but is dusty on the top as it sat on a shelf for many years. some quick research indicates this is for 48 and newer but feel free to correct me. thanks

Attached Files:

Boden likes this.
  18. Boden

Boden

Looks to be a 48 and older intake. But very good condition!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

19. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Found most of the part numbers on google first try.

20. 396ci

396ci

as did i but there are only 20% of the parts in boxes. trying to identify the rest. thanks