Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A (32) axle caster/camber question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by walls, Feb 9, 2020.

1. walls

walls

I bought a 32 axle from Okie Joe as I’ve done in the past on other cars.
    He sets up the axle with your spindles so everything is bolt on once you receive it.
    Typically he’d stamp the drivers side axle, to mark with side of the axle faces forward.
    He must’ve missed this one(no mark), so I’ve got a couple questions.

How do I know it’s facing the direction he’s set it up for?
    I was hoping I could avoid putting the spring/spindles etc together and mounting on the car, but I guess I may to get good measurements.
    I stuck the wishbone on to see what I’m working with.

Got a suggestion or two?
    What is ideal caster and camber anyway?

A50C20FF-95D8-423F-B30A-5D05507B8519.jpeg A0DA44D1-D0BF-414F-AAFC-BBBA0DB9C391.jpeg 01171895-5BA2-4D56-BAC7-2D55ABEDB110.jpeg 454156B9-D1B9-4069-935A-8F687EE2AC6E.jpeg

2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

You want the top of the axle leaning back. So install your spindles and see which way gives you the most lean towards the back of the car.

I run 1/8 to 1/2 degree positive camber (tire leaning out on top) and up to 10 degrees caster.

3. I have never seen a early ford axle that was marked front or back. Mine have always been ambidextrous.

Mick

flatford39 and Just Gary like this.
  4. I always thought the kingpin locks only go in from one direction....from the front and the nut goes on the back side to limit turning radius and the lock hole [on mine] is tapered so the lock only goes in one way.
    Plus, there is an "E-E" and some other stuff stamped on the back side of my heavy 32 axle. 34axlecoated2.JPG

5. walls

walls

Got it. Had to flip it.
    1st position was almost vertical.
    Flipped it and it’s leaning back about an 1/8” bottom to top.
    It wasn’t marked originally.
    If I wasn’t clear, Okie Joe marks them after he sets them up with a stamp on the driver side.
    He must’ve forgot this one.
    I didnt even think of that.
    I stuck them in and that confirms I have it in the right position.

I also have EE-1 stamped on mine. Happens to be on the front though.
    Not sure if there is any reason Ford stamped them front or back though.
    I have another with letters on both sides.

Anyway, thanks fellas

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If there is a camber difference the side with the most camber goes on the driver's side to compensate for the crown in the road.

7. Fordors

Fordors

There is no front or back to the axle, the holes for the king pin locks are nothing more than 9/16” through holes, and it is the wedge machined on the lock that keeps the k/p tight. When you draw up the steering stop nut the wedge advances tighter against the pin.
    More caster by turning the axle around? I’d like to see that.

alchemy, lurker mick and flatford39 like this.
  8. flatford39

flatford39

Your caster is built into the Model A front cross member. It doesn't matter how you put the axle in.

9. walls

walls

Not saying you guys aren’t right, I honestly don’t know, hence the question.
    Makes sense to me though.. but there’s a difference when I flip it.

I’ve bought 4 other axles from this guy through out the years, also bought spindles and king pins at the same time.
    Is it possible he marked the front because he stuck the spindles on and set camber?
    Just a guess?
    I’d call him to ask, but our schedules don’t often correspond.
    I’ll try tomorrow anyway.

10. alchemy

alchemy

The spindles are the same camber, so why bend one end of the axle differently than the other? Old Ford I beam axles are supposed to have zero caster bent into them, so there's no reason to have a front and a backside. I've got no explanation why he was marking them. And even more troubling, why you got a different reading when you flipped your axle.

11. walls

walls

So we can put this thread to rest, Joe called me back yesterday and we discussed his process.

Whether it’s stock or an axle he drops, he prefers to set them up with the spindles you intend to use to set camber.
    If I remember correctly, he said 0 to 1/2 degree of positive camber and he didn’t take for granted each axle/spindle combo being within this range and that he’s seen a wide range having done this for many years.

You guys were correct on the castor issue.
    There should be no noticeable difference from flipping the axle “ front to back”.
    He explained my situation as a variance in production, and considering tolerances/quality control 90 years ago, it is likely the perch holes were always very slightly off on this axle.

He also stated the king pin lock bolts almost always only fit through the front of the axle.
    Through hundreds of axles he’s run across, that seems to be the case.
    He did say it could be possible Ford planned it that way, or from wear through out the years it’s coincidental.
    I’m not sure what’s true, but I have two axles on hand that support the claim.
    Regardless, I don’t suppose it really matters too much.

Thanks for the responses fellas

12. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6 degrees on the caster.