Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods B/W R-11 3 SPEED OVERDRIVE-Good, Bad or Ugly?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Looking at a early 50's Ford BW R11 OD 3 speed...
    Looking for info and experienced users..... I do realize this one is a non synchro box....

I may stick with my early 60's top loader.. but this unit is cheap and functional.

Thanks guys.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

R11 is the good one, has a big planetary set so it won't be as likely to self destruct.

Might make sure exactly what the transmission is, because I think the Ford version of the R11 was not available until quite a bit later in the 50s. I'm not an expert on that, all I know is there were a bunch of different versions for Fords, and it's confusing.

They're fun to drive with. They work best with rather steep rear end gears, when it's set up right, you can start the car in 2nd gear, shift to 3rd, and then let off the gas and it shifts into OD. Find the driving instructions in old car owners' manuals, for different makes, and get some ideas.

you won't be making speed shifts, though.

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If you don’t want it , I might be interested in it. I like over drives!

Bones

4. Early 50s would probably be a 6 volt solenoid so be aware of that.

The 12 volt solenoid bolts right in.Easy to change.Then do a search for the wiring configuration.

Got it in my Edsel Roundup and I love it !

Oldmics

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Be prepared to hear dozens of opinions on how to drive with the B-W units, and how to hook them up. Some of the advantages are :
    Clutchless shifting once underway as long as speeds are under 28-30 MPH
    Second gear usable from 5 - 85 MPH
    Great economy
    5 speeds forward if you like to shift like a trucker, 6 if you like to abuse things
    There's one disadvantage that soured a whole lot of folks - if you don't lock it out or set the parking brake, it'll roll when facing downhill.

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes.I will make sure it is a true R-11.I have a funny feeling they came out in 55... In Mercs..... Probably Fords too.
    Pretty sure they came in many cars prior to the Toploader in (63?)Could be wrong on this... research is needed.

At any rate, I just wanted some info.... Still leading towards my present Toploader. I live deep in a rural area,... near hardly any inner City driving... but I would like a OD if possible.
    thank you.

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'49 Lincoln was one of the first T-85/R11, if not THE first.

8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By "non-synchromesh" you mean low gear only is non-synchro. As said above, it's probably a T85, which came in FE Fords, so it's plenty strong (as is the R11).

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  9. I have about 4 too many Ford T86 OD transmissions as well that would all be cheap if anyone is looking. Likely way to far for you though Jeff.

kidcampbell71 and Jeff Norwell like this.

10. Any jeep 4x4 T5s?

Ben

11. Jeff, you are aware Ford made a full manual overdrive unit that looks and mounts in like any 4 speed right? Built for light Trucks, came behind both small block and big blocks. I call it a 3+1 and with just a little work you can mount the shift unit on the tailshaft bolts if needed. No electrics needed and it don't free wheel. Comes Full sincro in stock form.
    [​IMG]

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I'm finishing a 406 factory build for my 2nd 57.... That's why I'm inquiring..... I am not spending the coin on a new TKO.(Great trans) but not in the trad scheme.. plans are to drive.... normally..... sometimes.
    As mentioned I have a spare 4 speed.... But something appeals to me about a OD T85.

But that could be just crazy talk.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Yes. first gear.

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I was not aware Wizz...... Research needed.

15. squirrel

squirrel

If you haven't driven with one of those R series BW Overdrives, you owe it to your self to give it a try. You might like it, you might not like it.

The later overdrive is probably a better transmission, but if you enjoy driving a normal top loader 4 speed, neither one of these overdrive options will feel quite right. The ratios are way too wide.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  16. I have one that live behind a healthy 390 in my old 57 Ranch Wagon. Car's gone but motor and trans stayed behind and got rebuilt. I have a plan.
    20160509_093406.jpg

17. Squirrel is right, they are different. When you try to mix Hot Rod and Economy together there's always a little trade off. Just think normal standard 3 speed then add the Overdrive. Not the same as a 4 speed for sure. To make up for it just add more H.P. This motor is now 416ci with full roller top end and Tri Power. I think it'll do just fine.

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks fellas..... Whizz.. get onto that 57...Henry Ford is Frowning

kidcampbell71 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  19. Will do, just trying to get the Time Money and Health thing put back together. The 57 is number Two.

20. v8flat44

v8flat44

R 11 is the better for sure. A friend had a 61 Ford 390 with one. Took a lick'n & kept on tick'n.
    I've had 3 of the early units and loved them. Just gotta be careful of high rpm clutch dump in 1st..........
    bang. I have one in my 52 Vic with a mildly built 8BA and love it.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  21. Didn't realize there is more than 1, 3 speed with overdrive , will have to look for numbers on mine

22. Mac VP

Mac VP

Jeff, the T-85 gears are beefy and comparable to the T-10 and Ford top loader 4 speed transmissions. The real concern is always the overdrive gearing.....it’s not designed for hard starts in first gear. Things are a bit safer if you’ve locked it out of OD mode if you’re planning on a hard launch.

23. patsurf

patsurf

i've never heard of this!!--- what years??

Boneyard51 likes this.
  24. southcross2631

southcross2631

My uncle was a county deputy sheriff in Michigan. They bought and maintained their own cars.
    He ordered a new 61 Ford with a 390 stick with overdrive. Probably had one in it.
    He didn't baby it.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  25. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

70s and 80s Ford pickups and some cars.

Bones

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  26. patsurf

patsurf

thanks!-pat

Boneyard51 likes this.
  27. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

Jeff, I had the overdrive in my car when I bought it. Had great cool factor and was able to handle the horsepower. Now there is a Tremec in there and the difference is unbelievable, the shorter gap between gears is the biggest difference. The car used to pitch up and down, power on, nose up, shift, nose down, nose up, downshift, nose down. Now it is nose up all the time.
    The drivability makes it way more fun to drive.

Jeff Norwell likes this.