Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Talk about your "fake" patina!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Dec 5, 2019.

1. A Boner

A Boner

image.png The ultimate "traditional paint scheme".....the "work in progress paint job".

Got to love It!

2. Raw4570

Raw4570
    from Kentucky

Patina can look great, but not to sure about created patina. I have seen cars with fake patina that is simply a work of art and others not so much. I say whatever you want, its your car. Old motorcycles that are unrestored
    bring more money in many cases than restored. I like the look of both shinny and not. Here is a old truck I just sold, tired looking, but it was fun to drive. 34_5.jpg

3. southcross2631

southcross2631

Being a retired yacht carpenter. build the whole body and turtle deck from wood then turn the termites loose on it . Much better than fake patina. You will have piles of wood dust when you park.
    sanded down my old M DSCF0938.JPG orris . someone had shot gray primer over some real patina.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a couple years back I had to leave my mostly original paint 61 Dodge outside. by the time I brought it back in it had patina. I was not happy about that.

5. Found the solution...
    20200125_074129.jpg

seabeecmc and Hnstray like this.
  6. Weathered charm.

7. I hope your not driving that Hog because you don’t want to hurt the finish...

8. The Mullet

The Mullet

9. Black, White, Red lead or Gray primer will do the job.

10. A Boner

A Boner

Fake patina usually looks bad (fake). Real patina, or contrived new patina that you can't tell is a contrived paint job is cool! I wish some of the artistic patina painters would come on here and share some of their secrets.

Is this real, or is it memorex....it sure looks perfect, to me!
    image.png

D-Russ, chromelady, alfin32 and 4 others like this.
  11. The rust/paint idea has been shelved. I am picking up the turtle deck I ordered from Class Glass performance in December on Monday (made to order). This is in black gel coat. The plan is to use scallops to blend the blue into the back half of the body, which will be painted black... I have black steel smoothies and am picking up some wide white walls on Sunday.

Papas32 and RICH B like this.
  12. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

The trouble with fake patina paint jobs is in order to make them look real, It is as much work as a Show paint job.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. A Boner

A Boner

Way less fear factor when driving though!

anthony myrick and Hnstray like this.
  14. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Just did this oil pan for my buddy... satin black base, and a little trick for bare metal finish but all actually paint... Still perfecting the technique...

IMG_1198[1].JPG

I guess best part about patina... fake or real, its great for drivers, less worry about dents, scratches and other road problems.. Parking lots no fear of door dings and scratches... So there is an appeal to it for sure, my vehicles are all drivers, my trucks paint is worn and has a few spots chipped off, some scratches etc but she is a driver/shop truck.. The Bel air I just built, satin paint job, not perfect at all but thats how I like em, no worry about parking or going places in it. NOW the fake/fake patina jobs, where it looks so planned its not funny then cleared and polished every time.... those are pointless... When you go to a show and see someone quick detailing their clear coated patina/fakeina.... point and laugh moment.

A Boner likes this.
  15. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

I have "a boner" for this.:)

The Mullet likes this.
  16. I'm not a fan of "fake patina" ... but I must admit that Eric Clapton's (Brizio built) '33 3wd Coupe (with body & paint by East Bay Speed & Custom) was really well done:

Eric Clapton's '33 3wd Coupe under construction @ Brizio Shop.jpg
    Under construction at Roy Brizio Street Rods

Eric Clapton's '33 3wd Coupe (1).jpg
    Eric Clapton's '33 3wd Coupe (2).jpg
    Finished

Eric Clapton's '33 3wd Coupe @ 2020 GNRS Suede Palace (Ron Brooks).jpg
    Eric Clapton's '33 3wd Coupe @ 2020 GNRS Suede Palace (Tom Davison) (1).jpg
    Eric Clapton's '33 3wd Coupe @ 2020 GNRS Suede Palace (Tom Davison) (2).jpg
    Eric Clapton's '33 3wd Coupe @ 2020 GNRS Suede Palace (Tom Davison) (3).jpg
    2020 GNRS Suede Palace

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  17. The problem with really well done painted fake patina is after you spend 30k on the job, you have a car that looks like it needs a paint job. What's next? Fake weather checking on new tires? Fake grease on rear ends? Fake blower belt dust? But why stop there? How about fake cracked and spiderwebbed window glass? Fake rust on new chrome? Really well done fake anything are like fake boobs. While they may look really good, upon close inspection they still won't feel like the real ones.

jimmy six, seabeecmc and chopped like this.
  18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

For those who want to speed the patina process up muriatic acid is your friend.;):rolleyes::eek:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. Fake boobs or not, I'm not gunna judge when it's hands on, and in my grasp.......... Just sayin'''''

thegreenbuzzer likes this.
  20. chopped

chopped

Looking for fake dirt to be the next in thing. So you can pretend you drive it.

GuyW likes this.
  21. Fake dilapidation? No thanks. :confused:
    I'm still trying to understand the attraction of real dilapidation.
    I bet on a horse once that had some patina. That didn't work out well. My patio furniture had gotten very crusty looking. I told my wife it was "patina" and so it was better than fresh paint. She wasn't going for it either.

GuyW and K13 like this.
  22. A Boner

A Boner

Eric Clapton has a cool HOT ROD there!

nunattax likes this.
  23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Man that’s cooool, thanks! But honestly I really want to see it done

24. ...I'd rather look at cars like Clapton's any day over a perfect new paint job car...why can't you guys accept the fact that some people like this look,...most of the cars/builds on the HAMB look like this....whoever "painted" Clapton's car nailed the look and has talent.

Racer29, nunattax and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  25. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

"Clapton" will have a really nice car once he gets it painted!:D:D

clem, Chili Phil and GuyW like this.
  26. GuyW

GuyW

LOL - woodgrain it like a teak Chris Craft

27. Sorry, just installed a turtle deck from Class Glass performance... 20200205_183829.jpg

fastcar1953, GuyW and chevy57dude like this.
  28. chromelady

chromelady

Eric Clapton's 33 is very kool. But! Eric the next time park that bad boy outside and mother nature will do it for FREE! TRUST ME I KNOW RUST. ( QUOTE RUST NEVER SLEEPS! ) DENNIS.

29. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

30. RmK57

RmK57

This one at a Pro Mod meet I had to get a closer look at. Very convincing from 10 feet away. I would give whoever painted it a pat on the back for pulling it off.

17991587_1817142661882918_5309296191000387043_o.jpg

A Boner, anthony myrick and D-Russ like this.