Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Authenticating 64 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bobwop, Mar 9, 2014.

1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am looking for tips and suggestions on how to authenticate a 64 Thunderbolt.

I have searched for many hours and feel well-informed. But I don't feel completely confident.

I have reviewed the entire thread on HAMB. It was helpful.

If you have descriptive photos of tell-tale signs, that would be most helpful.

thank you.

2. As I recall, real ones used a different upper control arm attaching set-up from normal 64 Fairlanes. Others could fill you in on specifics, but I believe the vin numbers may be listed, if you can find them. Just a rumour, but some of the better known drag racing Thunderbolts today are actually clones, according to some Ford racers I have talked to, and no, I'm not going to name names cause I don't have proof positive.

Deuces likes this.
  3. greybeard360

greybeard360

From talking to Butch Leal, the first few cars did not have the teardrop scoop on them. He was slated to drive one of those for M/T and expressed hat he wanted one with the scoop.... he got it. He may have some info about them that other people may not since he was one of the very first to even drive one. PM me and I will forward any questions you have to him.

4. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

5. You might get in touch with Allen Mason at Mason's Hot Rods here in South Carolina,,they have a real Thunderbolt in their collection and he can possibly help. HRP

Allen is a Hamber...shoot him a PM.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=233114

6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

thanks to all for the responses. Having a list of VIN numbers would be very helpful.

7. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

These cars are one of a kind and have lots of odd ball little quarks. I have been a part of restoring 2 of them over the years. I guess if I was making sure what I was looking at was a real T bolt I would start with the vin and decode that. Then I would look at the rest like the trunk has a giant battery box for what looks like a forklift battery over the right rear. Things like radio delete light wait buckets rotunda tack. I remember the rear diff was a modular iron unit with these big steal arms welded to the housing. Front suspension was different. The fire walls were all beaten in around the bell housing area to fit the 427 in. Fibreglass front end plexi windows, fak you can go on forever on what's unique on those things.

Good luck

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

thanks again fellas.

Most of the unique physical features are present. But what is to say they aren't good reproductions? It even has the glove box door tag. But that could also be a reproduction.

I am waiting to see the title and then will inspect the VIN.

9. Go to the fairlane club of america site. Its got the best info.

10. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Member Dennis K has two T-Bolts and is a known guru on the specifics. Tommy.

11. I have the VIN list. If you PM me the VIN of the car you are looking at I will tell you if it is on it.

12. foxlincoln

foxlincoln
    from Deland Fl.

I have been researching T-bolts for a couple of years and yet find if they came with alternators
    or generators.What was on the cars when they left DST. If they were alternators,were they Lincoln
    style or 65 versions.I know most updated to alternators.

13. Erric Bresmon

Erric Bresmon

Can anyone tell me where the vin stamp is on a 64 fairlane. I just found the vin plate on this car I bought in the GLOVE BOX! I don't even know where it goes. Previous builder is a dick. Hope I did not get scamed!

14. 54vicky

54vicky

why buy or believe him if he is a dick? I would have thought you would have done due diligence before buying.kinda like closing the barn door blah blah at this point

15. RmK57

RmK57

Most were started off as K-code Fairlanes.

16. Fordors

Fordors

I thought they were bodies in white that were delivered to Dearborn Steel Tubing for modification and completion. Why would they have taken assembled cars apart to completely revise?

17. RmK57

RmK57

The first few were Burgundy, then Whimbeton White for the rest of the run. When they left Ford for DST they still would have to have an assigned VIN. Not sure of the assembly process, probably like Boss 429's shipped to Kar Kraft less running gear.

18. frank spittle

frank spittle

I bought an original T-Bolt in 1988 and had it restored by an expert. I showed it at Hershey in 1989, the first year it was eligible. I could not verify it's race history so I had it restored to "as delivered" from DST. It had actually been driven on the street after 1964. The list of vin numbers were not known until later. There was no doubt mine was an original since it was almost virgin but the list verified it. Being the first T-Bold shown in AACA competition it attracted massive attention at Hershey and leaves me with great memories. For almost everyone 60 or younger at the show it was the car they hung around. I can't count the times I heard "I've seen them in magazines but this is the first one I have actually seen". Others told their friends about seeing them on the drag strip.
    The list has been held close to the chest by those who possess it. I have not asked for nor been offered a copy and that's the way it should be. But most who have it will gladly verify a missing car.

19. 6sally6

6sally6

I hate to be nosy but..............What's the going price on a REAL one?!!!
    There......I said it!
    6sally6

20. 65 Lunchbox

65 Lunchbox

One little trick that I've read about is to check where the bracket for the passenger side sun visor would be. It should not be threaded since they only came from the factory with a driver's side visor.

I have not actually seen this, but I have read that in a few different sources through the years. It seems to be a small detail that even very good clones can miss.

21. frank spittle

frank spittle

I sold mine for 66K about 30 years ago. It was a no sale at auction a couple years ago for over 200k.