Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Kkoa Salina Ks 2020

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jamoke, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Jamoke

Jamoke

I happen to run across a video. Of the kkoa show 2019 and I was a little disappointed. At the cars I was seeing slot of non customs street machines and no hum street rods Is there a criteria? To enter your car in the show. Needless to say I have never been to one. But I've always thought about going.
    Can you tell me? If this show is worth. Me traveling 10 hours to attend

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

It's a good one. That said, I never enter a car because it costs too much. I just go as a spectator. They usually have some famous people there. Pretty cool getting to talk with Winfield and buy stuff from him. Same with Gambino

Kan Kustom likes this.
  3. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is my two cents.... I only have a three hour drive but I don't and wouldn't miss it. It is probably more of an Americruise setting instead of seeing nothing but all kustoms. Usually you will see a lot of Kustoms and a lot of kool hot rods. You will see some of the best Kustoms in the country from all over the United States.

Travis at Royboy Productions covers the event and check out his link below to get an idea what you will see.
    https://royboyproductions.smugmug.com/Cars/2019/2019-KKOA-Leadsled-Spectacular/

One of the koolest aspects that I like about the show is all of the Kustom legends that attend. Over the years I can call some of them friends. If it wasn't for the Spectacular I would have been able to develop these relationships. Also the guys that attend are Kustom guys and they get it. You can get involved with some good kustom conversations.

Since this will be the 40th Lead Sled Spectacular, I hope this will encourage more kustoms than past years.

I'm a KKOA Lifer and proud of it but if you have any questions, I will give you an honest answer.

Just let me know.

Happy Trails, Mick

MO_JUNK, beegator, 54delray and 7 others like this.
  4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I drive 8 hours to the show, and its worth it. yes there's Kustoms a plenty, some great hot rods and street rods. Just ignore the ratty ones and keep walking. The park has plenty to look at. the 2 shops working on cars is fun to check out, all the "celebrity" hot rod and kustom guys there to say hi to. Hall of fame, arm drop drags... Its a blast1

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

There are so many cars there that it would be easy to feel like there aren’t a ton of what your into until you tally it up and find you just saw 400 cars you liked.
    It’s a huge huge show.

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Did you stop going NSRA events because they went to 82 and back.

OG lil E likes this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I went last year and honestly was a little bummed. We had been 10 years earlier and the caliber of customs was better back then. With that said, there were still good cars to admire.

9. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Made our reservations today. I'll be driving a friend's 51' Ford mild custom. We really enjoy the venue and the event in general.

54delray and straykatkustoms like this.
  10. Butch M

Butch M

its one of my favorites arm drop drags are a blast

fastcar1953 and straykatkustoms like this.
  11. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

The drags are a alot of fun. Plenty of customs , famous car guys, working on chop tops . Great show been a couple of times ,will go back.

54delray likes this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

I just wish my truck was up and running so I could go. As far as the cars that aren't quite up to snuff, do as you would at any other event and just walk on by. I think I hurt a guys feelings a few months ago at a show because I took about fifteen photos of the car next to his (many of those shown on here) and walked past is car without a second glance to the car on the other side that I took two or three shots of. Truth be known If I had seen his car out in the parking lot three rows back I'd probably have taken a photo of it but it just wasn't show worthy.

Dang I need to go win the lotto or something to put some coin in my pocket.

13. Wouldn't miss it, and only 5 hrs for me.

14. Sonofabob

Sonofabob

15. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A buddy and I have gone 6 of the last 8 years. I have a 12 hour drive. The show is worth it to me but only you can decide if it's worth it to you.

MO_JUNK, 54delray and straykatkustoms like this.
  16. atomickustom

atomickustom

I went last year for the first time. I enjoyed it but not nearly as much as I enjoy the Stray Kat 500 in Dewey, Oklahoma.

What everyone is saying is true: there are a TON of cars, many of which are not kustoms. A lot of street-rod style cars, some that are a bit rough (but I don't mind that at all), but when you look at your photos afterwards you realize you saw dozens of cars you loved and hundreds that you liked. For me it's not worth the 5 hour drive but if it were the only show around for kustoms I would probably go most years.

MO_JUNK, 54delray and straykatkustoms like this.
  17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I went for the first time in 82. I attended in 84-90 , 92-2014. I was inducted into the hall of fame in 08. I stopped going when it stopped being a custom car event. what really tore it for me was the year that the farm truck was the featured vehicle of the event. Don't get me wrong Jerry fought the good fight for decades putting on the only real custom car show in the country. And I don't blame him for opening it up in the name of making money, But I won't go back. I would rather remember it for what it was in the 80's and 90's... It was really something.

18. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

I too went to the early one's including the 82 and 84 show in DesMoines. I started driving to one in 1986 Springfield Mo and went to a lot of them as they moved to a different city each year drawing Customs from the West coast to the East coast and North from Canada. (Moriarity) and I drove to a lot of them together including Huntsville Al in 1994. This is when the show was mostly Customs. Like most car shows today,there's so many different kinds of cars from Rat Rods,Muscle cars to Custom's. The last year I went was 2016. I have reservation's for this year as I went to the 10th,20th and 30th. It should be a good show for the 40th.

19. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Mark, another way of looking at it is more people in our hobby lean towards hotrods while appreciating customs. An all custom show draws mainly custom only spectators as a mixed show draws more spectators and exposes them to customs that they may have never knew existed. This could grow the custom population. Just a thought. I miss you and your cars down here each year.

jvan, WB69, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  20. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I will be going back again this year. It’s a fantastic show, with lots of customs and hot rods there

21. My Hot Rod TV

My Hot Rod TV
    from Las Vegas

I make the 2 day drive from Las Vegas every year.. I have made new friends at this show and I would never miss it. Check this Kustom...

22. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

Question now will it happen?

24. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man I hope so, this Kat is going crazy....

25. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

With what’s going on with the virus I really doubt that no car events will go on all summer. I hope not, Salina is one that I really enjoy. One local event that I attend is already canceled (memorial day weekend) another is undecided as of yet(Father’s Day weekend) so I hope that by the end of July things will be better

26. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

27. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gary has an eye for kool. I see him every year at Salina. We small talked but hadn't had the opportunity to visit with him.

chryslerfan55 and 54delray like this.
  28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

That`s KKOA Hall Of Famer Gary Gerberding.

54delray and straykatkustoms like this.
  29. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Yes it is he’s been the hall of fame for several years now

chryslerfan55, 54delray and stanlow69 like this.
  30. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

Honestly, I think the show worthiness of a vehicle is just a matter of ones opinion. Which we all are entitled to, but that guy could have put just as many hours of late night wrenching and beer drinking as the other guys custom shop done. Just because his wallet was a little or a lot skinnier than the next shouldn't be a discouragement for him to attend a show. Again, this is just my opinion and two cents on the enjoyment and pride of working on something and being able to show it off no matter what it looks like.
    Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.